Windows 10 RTM/Final (10240) - Collective BUGS and Feedback Thread V1

Paolo Cardelli

Jan 22, 2014
Visit site
Windows 10 is Final.
No matter if Microsoft doesn't call it RTM, Final, or not. Build 10240 is the Final/Release version of Windows 10, and it is proved to be provided not only to all Insiders, but the same identical version was sent to OEM for preinstalling their new PCs with Build 10240.
On 29th, users will receive 10240 + Patches on top of it, while who already upgraded to 10240, will receive only the Patches (cause they already upgraded to the final version).

That said.

I just managed to successfully upgrade my Surface Pro 3 with Windows 8.1 (NO Insider Prewiew member. I just obtained the official ESD of my version/language, and converted to ISO) to Windows 10 RTM Build 10240. And it permanently activated as the free upgrade offer stated.

Then, I used Rufus to create an USB Bootable Drive from that ISO, and Clean Installed 10240 from scratch (erased all partition, and formatted the drive), and like I imagined: I preserved my Activation without inserting any product key (the first upgrade registered my hardware to MS server, I just logged-in with my Microsoft Account and kept my Internet connectio on), and that's it.

That's the cleanest install method to avoid most bugs.

Now, I would like to report all the issues and limitations I found anyway so far for MS to fix them as soon as possible (many of those hopefully before 29th of July).

Final RTM Build - 10240 - Bugs and Feedback List V1

NEW:

• Calendar Live Tile doesn't update itself (Tablet Mode);
  • HERE Maps app crashes on opening after a while (Tablet Mode);
  • Native Maps app doesn't have Bus/Metro paths, but only on Foot and Car (Italy);
  • Right clicking on an App in App List, and clicking to "Add to Start" does nothing, and app isn't added. Dragging it with a mouse or with touch work fine (Tablet Mode);
  • Tablet Mode: when opening File Explorer or any legacy desktop program/window there is a "double-animation" of the window opening in full screen. Annoying.
  • Lock Password Image "blinks to white" before I can enter my image password, I assume it's a bug. Never seen something like that on 8/8.1;
  • When rebooting, it often appears a window saying "Waiting for the programs to close before rebooting". Very Windows 7-Style and annoying, never seen something like that in 8/8.1;
  • In Tablet Mode, clicking with a mouse/trackpad on Task Bar buttons often does not register clicks, and need to be clicked 2/3 times before it register. Works fine with touch instead;
  • Wi-Fi loose signal after a couple of hours and waking from Connected Standby (I assume we need updated Firmware for Surface Pro 3);
  • "Searchindexer.exe" crashes a lot in Reliability Monitor, and it often hangs for a while active windows;
  • Opening Apps in Tablet Mode with "auto-hide taskbar" enabled shows for 1-2 seconds taskbar on apps splash-screen, it's a bit ugly;
  • Edge sometime crashes if opening a localhost like "192.168.1.1";
  • In Tablet Mode on boot, sometime there's no "Start Screen" animation, but after log-in it just blinks black, and Start Screen is there. A regression to the beautiful entering of 8.1 Start Screen.

Plus:

• Full Screen/Immersive Edge is missing (auto-hiding and animated menu bar / address / favourites bar while scrolling + Swipe Back/Forward like Metro.IE11);
  • Official support of TPLs (Tracking Protection Lists) inside Edge settings pane (manual hack doesn't work anymore);
  • Better Multi-Display support (Tablet Mode on one display, Desktop on another for example);
  • 3+ Snappable Apps in Tablet mode.

Plus:

• Make "Auto-Hide Taskbar" setting independent between Tablet Mode and Desktop mode (with independent Sync between devices);
  • Give the option to disable the hamburger menu at start screen in Tablet mode;
  • In notification/action center give the option to adjust brightness level from 0-100% just like charm bar;
  • Give the option completely disable the taskbar at start screen in Tablet Mode;
  • Fix the switching language on touch keyboard just like ios/android keyboard behavior;
  • Enable Swipe Virtual Keyboard like Windows Mobile 10
  • Import Metro.IE Web Live Tiles into Edge Web Live Tiles missing;
  • Improve snapping with mouse while in Tablet Mode.

Plus:

• 8.1 Start Screen will not transfer over to Windows 10. Not only does 10 make no effort to import my Start Screen, it no longer supports key features of it:
    * Tile sets are limited to 1 large and 1 medium tile wide. Some of my groups are 3 large tiles wide
    * Web site live tiles no longer show live RSS content consistently - some sites work, others don't
    * Start backgrounds are no longer supported
    * Start colors are not customizable -- they follow the accent color
  • In tablet mode, opening a new app when two others are snapped erases the snap relationship requiring the user to re-snap apps (i.e. the app opens full screen instead of asking for a target pane like in 8.1).
  • Resizable snap is only available in Tablet mode, and Tablet mode is not available when using multiple monitors
  • Resizable snap and resizable desktop windows are now mutually exclusive. Allow option to resize desktop apps in tablet mode.
  • 8.1 allowed snapping from the task list but the task view that replaces it does not allow snapping. Snapping is also impossible from the task bar.
  • In Tablet mode, snap is limited to two panes per monitor -- down from four in 8.1

Left feedback through "Feedback App".

Opened a thread on Official Windows Insider Forums:

Windows Insider Forums / Windows 10 RTM/Final (10240) - Collective BUGS and Feedback Thread V1

And tweeted Gabriel Aul, Joe Belfiore and Terry Myerson about it.

Please Microsoft, can you give us an official confirmation that you received this feedback and move forward to fix those problems ASAP?

What kind of bugs and problems do you have with RTM 10240?

Thanks

Last edited:

Rasetech

Jan 31, 2014
Visit site
Use the feedback app for your feedback. This forum is not an official feedback source to MS and you WONT get any confirmation.

Paolo Cardelli

Jan 22, 2014
Visit site
Oh, and I forgot:

NEW:

• Tablet Mode: when opening File Explorer or any legacy desktop program/window there is a "double-animation" of the window opening in full screen. Annoying.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Not many of these are new items... and some are not bugs but things that don't work the way you want.

I agree a few are genuine bugs and we all expect there will be a frequent updates over the next few months as issues are addressed. Development has not stopped and never will... there was simply a code freeze at a good time to get the product on the street.

Paolo Cardelli

Jan 22, 2014
Visit site
Store works properly for me.
Did you do an upgrade from a valid 7 / 8.1 system or did you clean install?

I suggest to upgrade first (so to generate a permanent, lifetime, new key on MS servers for that PC), and clean install with ISO booting from USB or DVD drive (erasing all partition, and wiping old system completely. Skip Product Key when asked, and you will remain Activated).
That fixes many problems, except the first post ones.

Japser

Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
I will clean install after July 29. But the store should be working after a normal upgrade as well, as most people won't be clean installing the new OS.

Paolo Cardelli

Jan 22, 2014
Visit site
Store worked fine even on my first 8.1 Pro (fully updated) to -> 10 Pro, with 10240 ISO upgrade, launched directly from 8.1 Desktop, and went smooth without errors or issues.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
I'll add mine too so i can keep track of what I submitted.

I find Edge slows down too often on sites with lots of ads. In fact, I only use Edge for certain stuff now, I can't use internet with ads all over the place. Once you've gone ad-free you can't go back. So i'm using Chrome now.

*Pinned websites don't all have live tiles or show names. In small mode it's just an "e". It could be anything really unless you hover.
*People app has no live tile.
*People app does not follow any of the design decisions. There is no hamburger menu but simply a tiny ellipses in the weirdest spot with the settings.
*Mail app live tile will show new mail but once mail is deleted it continues to show this mail in the live tile.
*Notification comes in as a banner and if clicked it clears from action center but action center icon still shows as if there is a new notification waiting.
*Edge doesn't work with bing maps preview website even though it states it is supported.(submitted)
*Most used doesn't actually show your most used apps.
*Store app seems to be setting default "new and rising" refine parameters after clicking categories. When removing refinement and then clicking on an app, hitting back just sets it back to "new and rising". (submitted)

I haven't submitted all of these. But i did submit one where you could not share anything from OneNote to mail and they fixed that in the recent update. At least it works now when I tested.

There's probably more.

Features I'd like to see:
*Same tile backgrounds/transparency as Windows Mobile (submitted)
*unique colours for tiles and for accent colour.
*allow tiles to be arranged how you want without any restrictions.
*integrate all the control panel items into the new Settings app. Even something like services can use new UI with toggle buttons. UI should be seamless and not so divided.
*A downloads app that shows all downloads currently taking place whether from store, web, or wherever.
*Allow a dark theme as some of the tweaked builds showed off.
*multiple tabs in file explorer
*All apps should be able to uninstall with right click without sending me to programs and features to find and uninstall from that area.
*Edge built in ad-blocking enabled/disabled in settings. A button on the bar to toggle.

I'll add more as I come across it.

New issues section:

*Mail doesn't have a way to empty trash. Can't select multiple emails for deletion using shift. Select only allows you to do one at a time. Should have a select all check box.

Last edited:

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Edge is really buggy, crashes a lot and pages sometimes don't display right...(find myself always using IE when using Windows 10 because of this and I even reset it to factory).

and No Windows Media Center option, a feature in Windows that I use every day, without it, my primary machine will only use Windows 10 for games (due to DirectX 12) and I will dual boot with Windows 7 as my primary OS. Would love to go full 10 but, I am losing a major set of features with the loss of WMC, so I cant go....

Thanks Microsoft, at least you could of made it an installable option in the store...

DZimbrich

Sep 5, 2014
Visit site
So, maybe this is better suited for a new thread but I'll post anyway...
I have Windows 10 build 10240 on a Dell i7 and it has been working great (this PC has been Win10 since Insider program was first available).
My Surface Pro 3 is 8.1 and is my "work horse" with many apps loaded such as Visual Studio 2013, Visio Pro, Office 2013, Etc. I have been hesitant to install the Win10 beta on the SP3 but love it on the Dell. So the billion device... er, billion dollar question:

Should I:
  • Upgrade my SP3 now with the Insider Program access
  • Install Windows 10 from ISO
  • Wait patiently until July 29 and see how it all plays out.
Thoughts or comments?

Paolo Cardelli

Jan 22, 2014
Visit site
So, maybe this is better suited for a new thread but I'll post anyway...
I have Windows 10 build 10240 on a Dell i7 and it has been working great (this PC has been Win10 since Insider program was first available).
My Surface Pro 3 is 8.1 and is my "work horse" with many apps loaded such as Visual Studio 2013, Visio Pro, Office 2013, Etc. I have been hesitant to install the Win10 beta on the SP3 but love it on the Dell. So the billion device... er, billion dollar question:

Should I:
  • Upgrade my SP3 now with the Insider Program access
  • Install Windows 10 from ISO
  • Wait patiently until July 29 and see how it all plays out.
Thoughts or comments?

At this point (considering we're so close to launch), I would suggest you to:

1) Wait
2) Reserve your free Windows 10 upgrade now, and upgrade on July 29
3) Do all Windows Updates
4) OPTIONAL: Refresh or even better Reset from Windows 10 Control Panel, to start completely fresh an bug-free.

Aliens

Nov 29, 2014
Visit site
Still have some problems with it, icons on the taskbar appears like a black rectangle, modern app icons appear without background on the start menu

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3