When is Windows 10 for RT coming out and what features do I get?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

when is windows 10 for rt coming out and what features do I get?

I have a windows 8.1 rt surface 2 and I what to know if windows 10 is coming to rt and if it is when and what do I get whit it

originalstarlite

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
Re: when is windows 10 for rt coming out and what features do I get?

There was a trade in offer in the past. I followed the link, inputted my config for the Surface RT and it came up $50. Worth more to me as a device to play Solitaire.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
you are getting a start menu,that is it. Bury the RT.

That is extremely unlikely. If the start menu was all the update was about, then MS wouldn't do it at all. There is nothing in it for them. That would be an investment with zero return. Companies typically don't do that.

I still predict that the main feature of the RT update will be compatibility with W10 apps.

Rasetech

Jan 31, 2014
Visit site
Didn't they already confirm that the update wont include the new Universal App platform? That would mean that they don't support the new api's which therefore means no Windows 10 universal apps.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Didn't they already confirm that the update wont include the new Universal App platform? That would mean that they don't support the new api's which therefore means no Windows 10 universal apps.

If MS have confirmed that, I've not seen it, nor did my really quick internet search surface anything.
Any idea where you might have heard that?

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site

Okay, I wouldn't say that confirms anything. It's just a rumor, from unnamed sources.

I'm skeptical, since MS have themselves officially and repeatedly stated that RT will be updated with some features from W10.

Winbeta is contradicting that by stating that RT update 3 will include pretty much nothing except the return of what is literally the W7 start menu, which begs the question what features RT would be receiving from W10? Was MS... ehm... misrepresenting the truth?

I could be wrong, but the rumor doesn't seem credible to me. If they had mentioned just one W10 feature being brought over to RT I'd have been more inclined to believe them.

Last edited:

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
Okay, I wouldn't say that confirms anything. It's just a rumor, from unnamed sources.

I'm skeptical, since MS have themselves officially and repeatedly stated that RT will be updated with some features from W10.

Winbeta is contradicting that by stating that RT update 3 will include pretty much nothing except the return of what is literally the W7 start menu, which begs the question what features RT would be receiving from W10? Was MS... ehm... misrepresenting the truth?

I could be wrong, but the rumor doesn't seem credible to me. If they had mentioned just one W10 feature being brought over to RT I'd have been more inclined to believe them

Dont expect much, this update for RT is probably going to be what WP got with 7.8, not much. RT platform is essentially dead and there are not focusing on it anymore.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Dont expect much, this update for RT is probably going to be what WP got with 7.8, not much. RT platform is essentially dead and there are not focusing on it anymore.

I was the first person on this site to state and explain why RT, as a separate OS, is dead. That was over a year ago.

Predicting how that fact affects RT's update plans has been a lot harder in comparison. That's why I'm not really expecting anything in terms of specific capabilities. It's just too much like guesswork, as there isn't enough to go on. I risked a prediction anyway, but MS providing less won't completely surprise me either...

Just like WP7 owners, RT owners tend to be early adopters and enthusiasts. You can't give them a fig leaf update and hope they won't notice. They will. I am hoping MS' handling of WP7, and the affect that had on people's perception of them, will prevent them from repeating the same mistake here. If this is all they are offering RT owners, I have a feeling MS might be better off owning up to their non-update policy, rather than trying to cover up. I don't expect MS to get that right either, but I hope they do. We will see.

Live2Deliver

Oct 30, 2013
Visit site
Re: when is windows 10 for rt coming out and what features do I get?

What's all the bury the RT talk about? The RT still have that lifetime office suite and works well with most of the light works. Nevermind the 'probable' discontinuation of updates, it still serves well for me with what it can do at least.

Btw I've a Lenovo yoga 2 pro i7 and RT still serves better for some leisure and any-where ultra portability (office) solutions.

So for me at least I'm not concerned about not getting W10 or any other significant updates, neither would I bury mine.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon