Is Excel Mobile app free to use on devices 10.1" and under?

robinleck

Sep 28, 2012
Visit site
I installed build 10240 on my 10.1" Asus Vivotab tablet with the assurance by Microsoft that Office Mobile apps can be installed for free usage including save and edit on tablets that are 10.1" or less. But whenever I used Excel Mobile app to edit my spreadsheets, I get prompted to activate Office 365 else the files will open in Read-only mode. I have tried the uninstalling/reinstalling method but it will subsequently prompt me again for activation after a few days of free usage. What's happening ? Can anyone help to clarify, advise and/or resolve the issue for me. I need to use the Office Mobile apps especially Excel Mobile for my daily business planning. Thanks!!!

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Re: Is Excel Mobile app free to use on 10.1" Asus tablet !?!?

I need to use the Office Mobile apps especially Excel Mobile for my daily business planning.

First, let me say that since Windows 10 hasn't yet been released officially, things are still a work in progress. Things like this are supposed to be in place in time for public release, which hasn't happened yet.

However, let me also add that those mobile apps are only free on 10.1" and smaller for non-commercial use. If you're using it for daily business planning, then you need to have an Office 365 subscription.

David Feifer

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site

I believe the issue is with the version of windows 10 you have installed. I BELIEVE that devices 10.1 and under are supposed to get the mobile version of 10 eventually.

Roy Khoh

Feb 4, 2015
Visit site

I already have Office 2013 Home on Win 10 Home on my 8" tablet.
The "Get Office" app stated I just use the 2013 apps. But I recall there was a message in the app that Office mobile was free for devices 10" or less. I don't remember the .1 in there.

Downloaded and installed because I remember 2013 being difficult to use without keyboard and mouse in Windows 8.1 but somehow it's a little easier in Win 10.

Unfortunately, with my 5" Windows 10 for mobile (10166) I kept getting the *activate subscription" message in order to edit files - only for locally stored files on the phone. OneDrive files were good to edit and save, though.

Last edited:

JuanCruzArg

May 16, 2014
Visit site

win10 released, installed it in a 10.1 tablet, an asus vivo tab smart and cant use word or excel mobile without asking for "office 365".-

office for "small tablet" is supposed to be free, and only ask for "offce 365 suscription" on bigger screens

Rasetech

Jan 31, 2014
Visit site

yes and the border for "small" is 10'' as far as I know. So everything below 10'' can use the apps for free.

Roy Khoh

Feb 4, 2015
Visit site

I uninstalled the "Get Office" app so I can't check what the tablet size limit is.
But just in case, just try documents/sheets that are saved onto OneDrive instead of locally on your device.

If the max is 10.1" that's got to be a little frustrating for Surface 3 owners.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos