HTPC with Windows 10 and Cortana

Mr. Brown

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Hello, I currently have an HTPC running Windows 8.1. I'm planning on upgrading it to Windows 10 when available. I would like to use "Hey Cortana" on it, but I'm thinking I need to get a decent microphone for it to work well. I'm thinking of a microphone similar to the quality that Amazon Echo has. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Hello, I currently have an HTPC running Windows 8.1. I'm planning on upgrading it to Windows 10 when available. I would like to use "Hey Cortana" on it, but I'm thinking I need to get a decent microphone for it to work well. I'm thinking of a microphone similar to the quality that Amazon Echo has. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!

I hope your 8.1 HTPC is not based on Windows Media Center...as you will lose it if you upgrade to Windows 10 ....

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I'm running XBMC/Kodi.
I've never heard of this - I've always just used Windows Media Center, since about 2005. How does this compare? I'd already planned to not upgrade my HTPC because of the loss of Media Center, the only PC in the house that I won't upgrade, but if this is a compelling alternative, I do like the idea of a Cortana-powered HTPC. :wink:

For comparison purposes, I use my computer as a DVR for OTA (antenna in the attic) broadcasts, watching movies and live TV through the PC as tuner, and the occasional DVD/BD. I have PowerDVD for those, so really it is only the DVR and Tuner functions that I really need, though the integration of all of this along with Netflix is nice. MUST be able to use the WMC remote. :wink:

Mr. Brown

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
I hear that XBMC/Kodi won't allow you to record encrypted cable shows, or something like that. I don't use it for that purpose. I only use it for our movie library, Netflix streaming. other streaming, etc. I do use it for playing DVD's and Bluerays, but for Bluerays, I have to use AnyDVD to decrypt them first.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Ok. I don't have Cable TV - I cut that cord at least 8 years ago. I'm just OTA with an HD Antenna. It sounds like I'll have to look further into this.

Mr. Brown

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Tbh, I don't expect Cortana to work with XBMC, well hopefully someday, but I just want to be able to ask Cortana to play music, ask questions, set timer, etc.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Xbox One with a digital OTA tuner/DVR is what you guys need.

Perhaps, but not being a gamer, there is no way I'm spending that much money, when all I need to do is not upgrade. I can't justify it, and even if I could, it would never fly with my wife. After all, our TV is used so often that when my granddaughter came over last weekend, her watching a movie was the first time the TV had been turned on in more than a month. I'm using an 8 year old PC as my HTPC, and all I need to do is not upgrade. I'd like to upgrade, but since that isn't an option, I'll just stick with 8.1 on that machine. ;)

LumenSapien

Nov 9, 2015
Visit site
Since no one here apparently cares to answer your question, i thought I'd share my experience with HTPC running Win8.1 and tested Win10 with Kodi 14-15~16.

In short, i wouldn't bother until the Kodi team add support for Cortana, as you would need a shortcut mapper for Cortana to even begin to work properly. Also, performance wise, Win8.1 and Kodi are WAAAY better than Win10, general snappiness seems lacking in 10. I actually have 3 HTPC, one high end (i7 12GB, SSD), one HP SFF Core Duo 2, 4GB velocirator and an old MSI laptop, all running Win8.1 and Kodi 15.2, only the laptop has abit of shudder when playing a 25GB direct blu-ray rip mkv, all the others work flawlessly. I tested the laptop and the i7 with Win10, didn't like the feel and overhead that seems to need alot of work to get down to what a HTPC should be running.
Hope that gives you some insight, I'd recommend staying with 8.1 atleast for a while longer.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12