War on Popups

mmcpher

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
I've been alternating, for the last year or so, between IE, Firefox and Chrome (as a last resort) to try and keep ahead of the popups, hang-ups and crashes. Not content with seizing temporary (and thanks, guys, for releasing your hostage after you've had your way with me) control of the center of my browser screen, the popper-uppers now preemptively launch screechy audio and awful music. Sometimes the source of the office-inappropriate noise is sneakily on the borders or down below the visual display.

Now comes Edge, which I quite like, already settling in as my preferred browser. But even after setting it to "no cookies", pop-ups continue to occur, particularly on the WM version. I am to the point where I would prefer to avoid sites that monetize my eyes in this way, altogether, regardless of the site's real content. I know individual users don't even rise to the level of pawns in the war between the browser companies, but information overload being what it is, I would like to nonetheless vote with my eyes.

I tend to wonder whether the common complaints against this browser or that, about their respective approaches to rendering, and their tendency toward hanging, isn't a deliberate act of sabotage on the part of one company or the other.

Is there a good way of accomplishing this, apart from ratcheting up the internal browser settings?

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I have two I'm looking into. One is called Peerblock. I have it installed now and it does seem to tamp down the ads and popups. The other, I haven't tried is called Adguard. It supposed to work on all flavors of browser but we'll shortly. Right now Peerblock is managing them. Its open source and free.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bevitalglucopre