How many Cortanas are there?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

how many cortanas are there

Does everybody have their own Cortana, or is there just one Cortana who knows everybody who uses it (and presumably promises not to tell us each other's secrets)?

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: how many cortanas are there

Is there a difference? I'd say both.

On the phone's its individual, but all of them have servers working behind-the-scenes for everyone.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site

Everyone has their own "Cortana App" so to speak. On Windows Phone it is integrated into the OS, but still an app. Cortana is being ported to Android and iOS as well, as apps.

However, the app is just an "interface" for the real Cortana, which resides in the cloud. Cortana is actually the "Personal Assistant" form of Bing, just as Google Now is the personal assistant form of Google search.

Whenever Cortana needs to recognize your speech, it is uploaded to the web, analyzed, interpreted, the answer calculated, then sent back to your phone.

So, is there one Cortana? Or many? Depends on how you look at it, I suppose. As an app, there are many. As the processing power behind the app, there is only one set of code that resides on many servers accessing data across the cloud to assist you with your issue.

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site

I think just one... However, apparently she knows me well... I went to call her once (hands free in car) and it asked if I wanted to call Cortana at work, home, or on her cell. Not sure when she decided we were close enough to share all those numbers 😂

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site

I think just one... However, apparently she knows me well... I went to call her once (hands free in car) and it asked if I wanted to call Cortana at work, home, or on her cell. Not sure when she decided we were close enough to share all those numbers ��

I could go much further but they always say a gentleman never tells, so lets just say we are very close friends.........

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss