Why am I unable to Update to Windows 10240?

Abhigyan Arora

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
Unable to Update to Windows 10240

Hey guys,

I am running on Windows 10 Insider preview 10162 on dual boot with W8.1 currently. I missed the 10240 update when it came out because I wasn't using my pc for a while (it had broken down).

Anyway, my pc came back today and I logged in to W10 to download new updates but it didn't show anything new apart from a couple of language packs and the regular Windows Defender update.

Now I went through a couple of threads that MS has shut off the activation server for a while.

So how can I get on build 10240 now? 10162 has its own set of problems and I can't use it knowing that 10240 is somewhere out there...

- Any idea when they will opening the activation servers again?
- Any friendly, safe ISOs I can download?

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Re: Unable to Update to Windows 10240

Be patient, wait a week or so, and you'll be able to get the RTM version. For now, there will be no more access to downloading W10 updates until Microsoft is ready to release a more public version.

Hey, at least Insiders will get it first.

Abhigyan Arora

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site

Thanks! I guess patience will have to do.

A couple more questions:
- So do insiders get the RTM on 29th July or will that be rolled out in stages too?
- Will they release ISOs for RTM on the 29th as well or will that be later?

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site

No one is guaranteed it on the 29th, but it is stated the Insiders will get it first, whatever that means. Everything in stages. Perhaps some insiders will get it before 29th? I really don't know who knows this answer AND is telling at this point. Perhaps a member here knows.

Japser

Mar 12, 2014
Visit site

If you're on build 10162 already, then you should be able to download 10240. The Insider freeze only applies to people trying to join the Insider Program, not for people already on preview builds.

That being said, some people are having issues finding the update. For some reason, 10240 is not being offered to a small group of insiders :/

Edit: With some googling you can find the ESD files for build 10240 and instructions how to convert them to ISO files. This is what I did, as I was not offered build 10240 either.

Japser

Mar 12, 2014
Visit site

Thanks! I guess patience will have to do.

A couple more questions:
- So do insiders get the RTM on 29th July or will that be rolled out in stages too?
- Will they release ISOs for RTM on the 29th as well or will that be later?

Microsoft stated that insiders will be the first to get it on July 29, so I presume all or at least most insiders will be able to get it on that day. I have no idea when exactly they will release the ISOs.

Brian Crail

Jul 27, 2015
Visit site
I followed these steps here, logged out, logged back in, and selected Short Ring from advanced options:

htt[p]://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-win_upgrade/upgrade-from-10162-to-10240/02ae9cf5-c21f-4e38-b10a-d226886e667f?rtAction=1438029221500

1. Press Windows Key + X on the keyboard and then select ?Command Prompt (Admin)? from the menu.
2. Stop the BITS, Cryptographic, MSI Installer and the Windows Update Services. To do this, type the following commands at a command prompt. Press the ?ENTER? key after you type each command.
net stop wuauserv
net stop cryptSvc
net stop bits
net stop msiserver
3. Now rename the SoftwareDistribution and Catroot2 folder. You can do this by typing the following commands in the Command Prompt. Press the ?ENTER? key after you type each command.
ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old
ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 Catroot2.old
4. Now, let?s restart the BITS, Cryptographic, MSI Installer and the Windows Update Services. Typethe following commands in the Command Prompt for this. Press the ENTER key after you type each command.
net start wuauserv
net start cryptSvc
net start bits
net start msiserver
5. Type Exit in the Command Prompt to close it and then restart the computer.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans