Splash screens and transitions

bsayegh

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
Based on the article that WindowsCentrals wrote recently, it sounds like there are still some big usability issues with Windows 10. I can live with those things because they will be fixed at some point, just not during the initial release.

Something I have hated about Windows 8/8.1 that I haven't heard mentioned about Windows 10 is how it transitions between desktop and metro apps. I know it is supposed to be more seamless now than it was before, but I have been trying to stay away from too many Windows 10 previews and such so I have something to look forward to when it starts installing on my laptop.

The first issue I have is with the splash screens (the icon screen that shows up before an app opens). That annoys me to no end. It shouldn't really take time to load the settings menu, so the splash screen seems unnecessary. I don't need to see the gear for a few seconds to know where I am going. Those can be done away with.

A few months ago I bought an album on Amazon and was trying to play it off of my laptop from the folder I explorer. Xbox Music was the default program to play a song. Every time I selected a new song, it would switch to the metro screen, show me the Xbox Music splash screen, and slowly open Xbox Music. The app was already open. I could see it in my taskbar. Why does it need to show me the splash screen each time like it is opening all over again?

I have a similar gripe with the mail app. Mail should just be one of your tray items, always open, always up-to-date (unless you specify otherwise to save battery). When I get a notification that I have a new email, I click on it and it switches to metro, shows me the mail splash screen, and then opens my mail app. I can actually just go to Outlook or Gmail on the web faster than I can view them in the mail app. Even if I have the app open it shows me the splash screen!

Does Windows 10 still work this way or have they improved it in some way? Thanks!

Chung Wei Leong

Aug 7, 2014
Visit site
I am sure that if remove the splash screen, the app will still take some time to load, which depends on your device spec...the purpose of splash screen is used to cover the startup loading, you can find the information about the splash screen on dev.windows.com

bsayegh

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
I am sure that if remove the splash screen, the app will still take some time to load, which depends on your device spec...the purpose of splash screen is used to cover the startup loading, you can find the information about the splash screen on dev.windows.com

Sure, that is the purpose to a splash screen. I understand when you have on for a PC game or something that takes a lot of work just to load up. The settings menu is not one of them. I can open the Control Panel in like 2 seconds but sometimes it takes like 8 for the Settings app to open. The splash screen is just an annoying transition effect. I have a pretty powerful laptop. Not a gaming rig by any means, but the specs are fairly high end. A splash screen to open settings or the mail app should be a short blip on the screen that I barely notice. Its not like they are using the time to pre-fetch data from the internet like pulling my mail info or getting Windows Store updates or something. I still have to watch those things update when the app starts.

Chung Wei Leong

Aug 7, 2014
Visit site
Sure, that is the purpose to a splash screen. I understand when you have on for a PC game or something that takes a lot of work just to load up. The settings menu is not one of them. I can open the Control Panel in like 2 seconds but sometimes it takes like 8 for the Settings app to open. The splash screen is just an annoying transition effect. I have a pretty powerful laptop. Not a gaming rig by any means, but the specs are fairly high end. A splash screen to open settings or the mail app should be a short blip on the screen that I barely notice. Its not like they are using the time to pre-fetch data from the internet like pulling my mail info or getting Windows Store updates or something. I still have to watch those things update when the app starts.
Well, I can suggest you a defragment tool for you, you can use the auslogics disk defrag pro to defrag your PC, it got some defrag algorithms, like put all the frequent use app to the fast part of your disk, this really help improve the app opening speed for me, even for the windows startup speed😊

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss