Best Windows 10 Antivirus?

Blake Seaman

May 10, 2014
Visit site
My Bitdefender license expired last week, and I need to move on to a new anti-virus software. I'm probably going AVG free for the timebeing, but one thing I noticed was a severe paucity of innovation in the Anti-Virus community in anticipation of Windows 10. Where is my live tile with reports, my cortana integration, my <insert anything that even implies that the producer cares about the largest software upgrade in a decade>.

Kapersky has updated their stuff, but I'm wary buying malware software from Russia (slight pun intended) and Bitdefender posted a blog article promising "support" for windows 10, but where on earth are the people that are doing something worth buying? Where are the enthusiastic developers?

Thoughts?

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Since Windows 8 we have mostly been recommending using the built in Windows Defender. We haven't seen a marked improvement in quality of a 3rd party AV, such as AVG, Norton (Symantec), Bitdefender, Kaspersky, etc.

Defender in W10 will likely be every bit as stellar. I would recommend just going with that.

Scott Bradley

May 1, 2014
Visit site
I hate all the third party stuff, it is just so intrusive - always pushing this upgrade or that, lots of popups...

I use Windows Defender and I think it works just fine.

brandonpry55

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I've only been using the build in windows defender with 10 and it's been working fine, I've found that if you're going to actually get a virus (not spyware or malware) then any anti-virus doesn't stop the bad ones anyways.

Ankush Jain

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
I was using McAfee Internet Securtity from last 13 months (came free with my dell laptop). I was cleaning my C: to get extra space before Windows 10 and found that Mcafee Virus Scan folder have 31 GB of data. I wasted not time and uninstall it now. i believe all anti-virus programe which work with Win8.1 will work with Win 10. Best program is Windows Defender free, light and reliable. No more extra browser tool or web advisor.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I use Defender for basic protection.

Although personally I'm a fan of Avast! since it just has some advanced features I appreciate so I currently use that over Defender.

Blake Seaman

May 10, 2014
Visit site
Well I ended up installing bitdefender (mostly because they gave me a great return offer when I tried to leave), and it has performed reasonably well on 10. I still find it aggravating that they don't innovate at all with it, but I guess someday someone will!

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
No need for one, don't be stupid with a computer and you'll be fine.

It's actually fairly good advice, even if a bit loose.

The amount of virus protection needed is directly in proportion with the level of risk you run. An analogy I've used before if "I'm going to ride my bike, what are the best clothes to wear?" - obviously the answer depends on the kind of journey you're taking; you're not going to need a full race helmet, pads, and amour to ride down to the local coffee shop.

We see many threads like this asked every day and we always get as many pieces of advice as there are people responding.

The real answer is always the same - we don't know what your browsing habits are. We don't know how click-happy you are on emails/popups/etc....

Regardless of this, people will continue asking what the best anti-virus software is and people will continue advising whatever suite they use. The original posting user will usually end up buying/downloading whatever software has the most interesting name.

_Emi_

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
I think Qihoo 360/360 total security is nice, it gets some false positive but it's free and it has avira and bitdefender database if you want multiple protection at once.
I used to like Eset, but paying for an antivirus sounds too much for me, I now use Windows Defender and if it doesn't detect anything but I am not sure about a file, I use Jotti or virustotal (which I don't like much now since Google bought it).

But I keep defender disabled whenever I noticed it's on. there is some stuff that gets slowed down by antivirus since they check every file created by 3dsmax like phoenixFD simulation, so it's better just to keep it off, don't need it if I am working, although I don't use phoenixFD but that's just one big example how antivirus can slow stuff down way too much.

Jack Neill

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
It's actually fairly good advice, even if a bit loose.

The amount of virus protection needed is directly in proportion with the level of risk you run. An analogy I've used before if "I'm going to ride my bike, what are the best clothes to wear?" - obviously the answer depends on the kind of journey you're taking; you're not going to need a full race helmet, pads, and amour to ride down to the local coffee shop.

We see many threads like this asked every day and we always get as many pieces of advice as there are people responding.

The real answer is always the same - we don't know what your browsing habits are. We don't know how click-happy you are on emails/popups/etc....

Regardless of this, people will continue asking what the best anti-virus software is and people will continue advising whatever suite they use. The original posting user will usually end up buying/downloading whatever software has the most interesting name.

That was what I was saying, albeit a tad more elegant...:wink:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa