Was MS put into a DO or DIE situation?

Skamath

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
Just 4 days away from the BIG launch and not to forget a weekend makes half of it, was MS pushed into this because someone threw a date and price in the air? Being a multibillion dollar company could they have afforded to say that it was all a rumour or did they take the bull by the horn to say like Obama "yes we can!"
When you go to the Feedback app to Help MS and filter the feedback using the recent tab you will see a flood of problems listed which is much more than the features suggested. If MS is actually into polishing and refining W10 what about some really major bugs which doesn't make the OS look as shiny no matter how much it is polished.
Problems related to Mainly the store, the browser edge and Cortana. All 3 are major players in selling this new OS and they are deeply integrated into the OS.
Then you have the online side of it which another major Pain in the ####.

Just then I was online trying to access the windowsphone.com to get browse through the apps and somehow I ended up to the windows camera app which says it is available to both phones( I am assuming it was for windows 10 even when my L1020 is on 8.1 and I have logged into the windowsphone.com) and pcs. I clicked on it and the store opened briefly on the laptop (running W10 build 10240) and vanished. This happened when I was on MS EDGE. When I tried the IE the store link wouldn't even open. No matter what I did.!!! The feedback app is flooded with upvotes about issues with the store. 4 more days to Launch and a weekend in between. I am a bit concerned about this whole launch thing.

Anyway I thought maybe if I Use my L1020 to navigate to windows camera app maybe I can get it on the phone as the website had already misguided me about getting it on both phones and PC. I clicked on it I was prompted to upgrade to windows 10 and it took me to the next page about getting the upgrade app/assistant in the system tray but that was for a desktop!! I was using a mobile phone with a mobile browser logged in to windowsphone.com and it is directing me to a page for desktops and PCs!! Online side is not ready either for the big day.

Cortana Well She is Just a distant dream. How Long has she been out for and in alpha and beta stages and the locations. Granted that it is a big task to get her working in different regions with different languages but it should not be that difficult for her to be available in most English speaking( first language) countries. Roughly more than a year later still not available in many places. The only way to get her is to change region and language settings. So if she can work with that method why cant a small change from MS side make her available to many more people.

Edge seems to be hanging all the time mostly from the "edge" of a cliff. Crashes are more frequent and the performance is not even close to usable. Again the feedback app shows a whole lot of problems and lack of features followed with a flood of upvotes.

There maybe other things that I have not come across as I don't use the other apps like XBOX, Music etc so cant say much about it.

Please people before you start bashing up the same words about how this a TP it is not perfect blah blah blah I am not saying that I have issues with any of these things.All I am trying to say is that there is only 4 days left of which 2 days is the weekend. I have this feeling about the launch MAY not be so grand after all.

This only gives the rest of the MS hater a chance to bring out their pitch forks and fire torches.
If MS is not ready they shoudlnt launch and postpone a bit and ask Newegg to suck a new egg for jumping the gun!!

What say people!! Concerned?

Skamath

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
you guys are funny aren't you!! I already mentioned I don't have issues with the preview and already know that it is a preview and I don't need a crystal ball, tarot card reading for that. It is just a what if they are not ready in time. I think it is a legit concern I have about the preview. Their main selling points are not ready yet

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
That is why I will not install W10 on "launch" day. I did not use the preview on my laptop so I do not know all details but I use 8.1 already a few years so a few more month will not "kill" me.

Skamath

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
You've been using a PREVIEW.

Just stop already and save your time, energy, typing and thoughts for the final release.

Clues in the name nitpicker! PREVIEW = not finished yet.

That is why I will not install W10 on "launch" day. I did not use the preview on my laptop so I do not know all details but I use 8.1 already a few years so a few more month will not "kill" me.

Kill you or not is the thing. I know patience is a virtue but guys THIS / is the first pitchfork out right now.

marratj

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
You've been using a PREVIEW.

Just stop already and save your time, energy, typing and thoughts for the final release.

You should not forget however, that since 10240 we are all using the release build. There will be still a few updates before the 29th, I'm sure. But as OP stated there are so many problems still, that if Microsoft doesn't manage to release updates Big time in the next 4 days, it will be a mess at launch.

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Oy vey MS already covered their asses on this :p We are no longer looking at RTM!! Windows is now a service and as such MS will continue to work on it and provide updates as needed. There is no more "ok guys we have rtm, now let's kick back and relax. we'll release some patches if needed"... Those days are gone

Edit: yes there are still issues, but even with RTM (previously) there were always issues after launch. The smart bet is to wait a couple of months after launch (like Harrie stated) and then jump in, if you're too worried..

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
A lot issues in feedback are there from older builds. There are not that many issues left, most of them are small issues which MS is working on. I'm running it both on laptop and my desktop gaming rig and it is perfect minus a few things that are really trivial like Edge not having ad blocking and slowing down when pages have lots of ads. Small things in the store, but my guess is since it's being replaced it won't matter.

Windows is now a service. So it will be updated constantly, it will also get feature additions. But best part about it being designed around an app model is that MS can release app updates and apps that give us great new functionality.

Microsoft is only up against competitors. But they are smart as they are embracing the competitor ecosystems as well. I think Windows 10 and the store is a great idea for a lot of companies. Think about all the apps that exist for Windows desktop. You can find stuff all over the web. That's the problem though these people need to put a lot of money into marketing to get even noticed out on the web. The web is huge and disorganized. If they move their apps into the Windows store at least they will be easily indexed and searchable. And with a host of great APIs they can make their apps even better and available on more devices.

This may take time as companies will obviously be developing. We all know what happens when companies don't adapt to the future. Eventually they get replaced.

The future is the all encompassing device, the one you have with you all the time. It will act as your I.D., your computer, your wallet, everything you can think of. Microsoft knows PC's will eventually die but they need to make it an easy transition so continuum is part of the phone becoming the PC. The next logical step is powerful x86 devices. So you write an app for the x86 platform and you just need some additional artwork to make it work on smaller devices and you're done.

Manoj Daran

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
Im not sure! But Im more confident that the Desktop version will sure win back all the customers and it will wave high again. Reg, mobile, I guess they are in a do or die situation. MS really need tons of works before the launch. Lots of improvements and new features is needed to make mobile version handy and competitive. On the brighter side, I believe Insider program is helping MS to move in the right direction, it may not be enough right now as the other major platform is moving at an exponential pace. My only concern is MS is really slow in doing the right thing, and app gap is still there and many of the apps require more permissions from the OS. They ought to work on that now.

I have not yet installed Preview versions in my desktop and mobile, but Im reading all about the builds and the reviews. My bro had it in his pc but I never put my hands on those. Im waiting for a whole new OS expecting to completely fullfil my expectations. I know all the details, now waiting to experience. Hope all goes well..

bdchambers79

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
When Satya Nadella says this is the last version of Windows, he means it. No more big releases, just constant updates.

I've been using w10 on my pc exclusively for months now, and a few weeks ago I switched on my phone as well, so I've seen the place that they're fixing things at. If this place continues after launch (as we're being led to believe) then you'll have nothing to worry about.

Skamath

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
Oy vey MS already covered their asses on this :p We are no longer looking at RTM!! Windows is now a service and as such MS will continue to work on it and provide updates as needed. There is no more "ok guys we have rtm, now let's kick back and relax. we'll release some patches if needed"... Those days are gone

Edit: yes there are still issues, but even with RTM (previously) there were always issues after launch. The smart bet is to wait a couple of months after launch (like Harrie stated) and then jump in, if you're too worried..

I agree!! That is the smart move. If you look at it that way...
How many windows 7/8.1 users would have opted in for windows 10?
How many new users would be buying the win7/8.1 to get the free upgrade?
How many of the above are in informative forums like WPC?
How many of the remaining users seriously follow and read about windows/ MS?
In the remaining majority of the user being mainly ignorant (about the way W10 would work as a service with frequent updates) how many would wait like Harrie and yourself for 2 months?
Not that many, I don't think! User experience may not be good for them. Sure, Mostly they would be happy to have received something for free but if the experience is bad combined with the other blogs and post from windows haters, what sort of impact would it have on MS?

Skamath

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
When Satya Nadella says this is the last version of Windows, he means it. No more big releases, just constant updates.

I've been using w10 on my pc exclusively for months now, and a few weeks ago I switched on my phone as well, so I've seen the place that they're fixing things at. If this place continues after launch (as we're being led to believe) then you'll have nothing to worry about.

Most people don't know about the developments so they would be mostly expecting a shiny, brand new OS running like a champion! If they don't get that wouldn't it eat into Microsoft's Goodwill?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett