Is it better to "buy" Windows 8.1 or Windows 10 in a fresh desktop PC?

scavira

Apr 26, 2015
Visit site
I have a desktop PC in which I am currently running linux. I would like to run Windows in it. As I don't have a Windows license for that PC, I am going to buy Windows 8.1 professional . I am buying Windows 8.1 only because I can upgrade to Windows 10 for free.

My question is - Is it better to Windows 8.1 professional and get Windows 10 upgrade for free or buy Windows 10 directly when it goes on sale?

Either way, I am sure that I will be using Windows 10 as my primary OS.
So what is your suggestion?

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Re: Is it better to "buy" Windows 8.1 or Windows 10 in a fresh desktop PC?

Technically it's pretty much irrelevant. If you're not in a hurry I'd wait for the W10 release, which is only days away, if only to save yourself some time, as you'll be able to install W10 directly rather than taking the detour via W8.1

carraig

Jul 5, 2015
Visit site
I've seen prices between $150-$199 for Win 10 Pro, so if you can get a copy of Win 8.1 cheaper, you may want to consider that.

However, I've read that Win 10 upgrade will only be free for 1 year, and the license will follow the motherboard.
So if you're a system builder and want to upgrade your PC in a couple of years, you would have to buy a new Win 10 license at that time anyway, and with that in mind, I would recommend buying Windows 10 when it goes on sale.

Scott Bradley

May 1, 2014
Visit site
Free upgrade within the first year, upgrades after that will have to pay for a license. Copies purchased preinstalled from an oem manufacturer will be linked to the machine, copies purchased independently can be transferred to a new machine later.

To the op, I think the pricing is going to be about the same for you. If it isn't too late, maybe consider becoming an insider and just running an ongoing technical preview for a while.

I think you can still get 10166 and it should be upgraded after the 29th...

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss