08-07-2015 01:29 PM
35 12
tools
    Your new Win 10 Key is not printed under on a label. Labels are great for those that have them intact. My brand new Laptop doesn't have such a label.

I'm just advising people. It was a concern of mine and I thought it might concern others as well.

Hope you had a good upgrade.
    Where do I find those magical keys? Also I find backing up what little I have to be a hassle, it's already on OneDrive or Steam so why bother. So in the event of a hiccup on my SP3 what should I do? Doing a fresh install would be good to remove stuff that I've forgotten about, I think. Don't think that doing a factory reset beforehand would be a good idea though
    07-29-2015 10:24 AM
    I'm using this tool to view keys: ProduKey - Recover lost product key (CD-Key) of Windows/MS-Office/SQL Server

Simple and effective little utility. Runs out of a folder with no install.
    07-29-2015 10:27 AM
    so if you currently are using win10 preview you have to reinstall win7 just to upgrade to the official win10?
    07-29-2015 12:12 PM
    so if you currently are using win10 preview you have to reinstall win7 just to upgrade to the official win10?
    I'm under the impression it converts you to official.

Did your watermark disappear?

The subject is being explored more in depth over here: http://forums.windowscentral.com/win...l-version.html
    xandros9 likes this.
    07-29-2015 12:26 PM
    Your new Win 10 Key is not printed under on a label. Labels are great for those that have them intact. My brand new Laptop doesn't have such a label.

I'm just advising people. It was a concern of mine and I thought it might concern others as well.

Starting with Windows 8, Microsoft no longer supplied labels to OEMs, because someone could walk into a PC store and take a picture of the key on the label and use that in installation.
    07-29-2015 12:29 PM
    Starting with Windows 8, Microsoft no longer supplied labels to OEMs, because someone could walk into a PC store and take a picture of the key on the label and use that in installation.
    OEM key are binded to it's motherboard ID which is can't be used on multiple devices

To do clean instal after upgrade all we need to do is go to the setting and reinstall windows. Even when the computer hard drive were changed as long as the board still same the key not required since they store it to the cloud
    RumoredNow likes this.
    07-30-2015 05:20 PM
    OEM key are binded to it's motherboard ID which is can't be used on multiple devices
    Ah yes, forgot about that! I haven't used OEM software for some time now.
    07-31-2015 01:32 PM
    Finally getting round to do the prep and just finished cloning my hdd using the freeware tool EaseUS Disk Copy. EaseUS Disk Copy Freeware - Free Disk Copy, Disk Clone Software download to Clone Hard Drive. It is only free for personal use and not for commercial use.

Scored two 1TB hdds whilst cleaning out my Aunt's old house; One was functional as a door knob... hardly surprising after all it's made by Seagate but Samsung Branded (Seagate bought Samsung's HDD division - Seagate to buy Samsung hard drive business | bit-tech.net and Western digital bought Hitachi's 2.5" division as they were forced to sell Hitachi's 3.5" division to Toshiba - Western Digital forced to sell Hitachi assets | bit-tech.net). The other was a 1TB Toshiba hdd and is functioning well; I am currently posting this from my cloned Windows 7 Install.

It took almost 9 hours to clone, as I cloned my entire 640gb(580gb of data) hard drive (do not have a spare to put my data on) and my activation passed through to the clone which eliminates one step, after this post I'll be using Windows 10 if all goes well.

Edit:
    Everything went pretty well, installed once keeping the cloned data intact and did not notice any compatibility issues. So went ahead and did clean install, however there is one thing I did notice and that is the "safely remove icon" hasn't changed from this:
    clean-install.png
    {Clean install}

To:

place-upgrade.png
    {In-Place upgrade prior to clean install}

Also as RumouredNow, previously mentioned the Windows 10 Key is completely different than your previous key. So you do need to save your keys (just in case)!
    Last edited by TechFreak1; 08-05-2015 at 07:15 AM.
    08-04-2015 02:48 PM
    My download started last night. You cannot check the progress, click on the bix until you are blue but no progress info comes up. All it states is it is downloading...Is there anyway to stop this nonsense. I don't want to install this junk if it is going to behave like this.
    08-06-2015 09:32 AM
    Sorry about the failure. That stopped the countdown at "T-10", huh ? I have 2 backups and one failed last week. Again, Murphy's Law superseded Ohm's Law.
    08-07-2015 01:29 PM
35 12