What Are You Doing To Prep For Windows 10?

heickelrrx

May 12, 2014
Visit site
I can confirm that once I upgraded to 10, my Key for "Windows (BIOS OEM Key)" remained the exact same as it was under 8.1.

However, my "Windows 10 Home" is a completely new key from the one I had on 8.1.

Save your Keys, people!!!
My key is printed bellow my notebook. So I don't expect it's lost easily

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
My key is printed bellow my notebook. So I don't expect it's lost easily

Your new Win 10 Key is not printed under on a label. Labels are great for those that have them intact. My brand new Laptop doesn't have such a label.

I'm just advising people. It was a concern of mine and I thought it might concern others as well.

Hope you had a good upgrade.

Topataco

May 26, 2014
Visit site
Your new Win 10 Key is not printed under on a label. Labels are great for those that have them intact. My brand new Laptop doesn't have such a label.

I'm just advising people. It was a concern of mine and I thought it might concern others as well.

Where do I find those magical keys? Also I find backing up what little I have to be a hassle, it's already on OneDrive or Steam so why bother. So in the event of a hiccup on my SP3 what should I do? Doing a fresh install would be good to remove stuff that I've forgotten about, I think. Don't think that doing a factory reset beforehand would be a good idea though

nTrud3r

May 2, 2015
Visit site

Starting with Windows 8, Microsoft no longer supplied labels to OEMs, because someone could walk into a PC store and take a picture of the key on the label and use that in installation.

heickelrrx

May 12, 2014
Visit site
Starting with Windows 8, Microsoft no longer supplied labels to OEMs, because someone could walk into a PC store and take a picture of the key on the label and use that in installation.

OEM key are binded to it's motherboard ID which is can't be used on multiple devices

To do clean instal after upgrade all we need to do is go to the setting and reinstall windows. Even when the computer hard drive were changed as long as the board still same the key not required since they store it to the cloud

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Finally getting round to do the prep and just finished cloning my hdd using the freeware tool EaseUS Disk Copy. EaseUS Disk Copy Freeware - Free Disk Copy, Disk Clone Software download to Clone Hard Drive. It is only free for personal use and not for commercial use.

Scored two 1TB hdds whilst cleaning out my Aunt's old house; One was functional as a door knob... hardly surprising after all it's made by Seagate but Samsung Branded (Seagate bought Samsung's HDD division - Seagate to buy Samsung hard drive business | bit-tech.net and Western digital bought Hitachi's 2.5" division as they were forced to sell Hitachi's 3.5" division to Toshiba - Western Digital forced to sell Hitachi assets | bit-tech.net). The other was a 1TB Toshiba hdd and is functioning well; I am currently posting this from my cloned Windows 7 Install.

It took almost 9 hours to clone, as I cloned my entire 640gb(580gb of data) hard drive (do not have a spare to put my data on) and my activation passed through to the clone which eliminates one step, after this post I'll be using Windows 10 if all goes well.

Edit:
Everything went pretty well, installed once keeping the cloned data intact and did not notice any compatibility issues. So went ahead and did clean install, however there is one thing I did notice and that is the "safely remove icon" hasn't changed from this:
Clean Install.PNG
{Clean install}

To:

In-Place Upgrade.PNG
{In-Place upgrade prior to clean install}

Also as RumouredNow, previously mentioned the Windows 10 Key is completely different than your previous key. So you do need to save your keys (just in case)!

Last edited:

Lisamorris1

Aug 6, 2015
Visit site
My download started last night. You cannot check the progress, click on the bix until you are blue but no progress info comes up. All it states is it is downloading...Is there anyway to stop this nonsense. I don't want to install this junk if it is going to behave like this.

MAC27000

Aug 7, 2015
Visit site
Sorry about the failure. That stopped the countdown at "T-10", huh ? I have 2 backups and one failed last week. Again, Murphy's Law superseded Ohm's Law.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte