The Windows 10 "I'm Installing" Thread

Nik47

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
Smooth experience on Sony Duo 13. Not so smooth experience on my oldish deskop. Update failed with error c190020c. Freed up more space. Now it keeps failing with error c190020e although I have cleared Software Distribution/Downloads thrice and forced it via command prompt. Finally running the upgrade option of the media creation tool and keeping fingers crossed to see how it goes.

Update1: This has failed with the error "Something Happened: setup has failed to initialize the working directory" No answers for this issue though others seems to have encountered it. Now trying the ISO option with media creation tool.

Last edited:

Nickkk101

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
I too had the option of reverting back to Win7 after I did the upgrade.However prior to clean install it warned me that I will not be able to revert back to win7 if I do so.And after the clean install I don't have that option now.
hmm, so you did an in place upgrade like me? I didn't get a warning per say that I wouldn't be able to revert to 8.1 as such when I selected i wanted to 'keep nothing...' I just assumed that would be the case. clearly my old OS is still there-something I found by accident in settings when I was confused the storage was still almost maxed out (I'm at 172gb of 250gb...) so if I went ahead and just nuked the old OS in Windows.old to get all that space back, then I'd pretty much have a 'clean' install right?

lilnickiwonder

Jul 14, 2015
Visit site
I got up at 6 something this morning, hit the Microsoft website and got the media creation tool to start the Win 10 download, it is now 5:09 and the download is on 77%.

Mike Gibson

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
Signed up for the free upgrade on my daughter's HP Spectre x360 this afternoon and almost immediately was able to upgrade her 8.1 to 10 (I don't know if the upgrade files, around 6 GB, had been downloaded previously but it didn't take very long to see them on her machine). Upgrade went well and there are no obvious problems so far.

LNRitter

Jul 30, 2015
Visit site
I downloaded mine yesterday without any issues and explored it for a few minutes and it all seemed to be working. Within a few hours I noticed that Edge had issues on some websites, such as facebook and only the top of the page would load, no matter how long I waited. Amazon froze, etc. I am not sure if it is because these sites aren't compatible, too heavy in graphics for Edge to handle, etc.

I am also having issues with Cortana, who initially responded to a voice question and "spoke" and now does not seem to respond to any requests, either voice or those typed into the box, other than providing the restaurants it first showed me when I upgraded.

Not a computer person at all but assume these 2 issues are connected as they relate to browsing the internet . . . does anyone have a suggestion as to what to do? Do I have to reinstall the whole thing because something is missing? Is there anywhere I can go to see if something is messed up? It would be great to have these, especially when I hear that Edge may be much faster even that Chrome, which I am using right now.

MartLea

Feb 11, 2014
Visit site
Read loads of advice on pre-win10 upgrade, made 8.1 system image and backed up important files etc. Then just hit the upgrade, kept nothing. After about 1 hour install was complete. Perfect, well almost. Some Asus drivers needed OEM install again for win10 like Trackpad & OSD but nothing serious. Well impressed by the whole process so far.
Sadly not impressed with the over hyped OS which apart from a couple of gimmicky features and new lock screen/sign in screen pictures is just a mish-mash of 7, 8 & 8.1. Edge is still work in progress and using for just 15 mins it dumps zillions of temp files in local folder - thank heaven fo CCleaner.
New music app is even worse than Xbox Music on WP8.1. And just like that app used to be incapable of displaying artist/album art so it is with this new thing - do MSFT never learn?
Finally the new Start menu. First off my previous Classic Shell from 8.1 was ported nicely by the update so at first I couldn't see the new one. Uninstall CS and mmm, will explore custom options/settings removing the kiddy tiles etc. but Classic Shell looks likely right now.
Good news is all my old desktop app/programs work fine - even Office Pro 2003!.
Windows still not caught up with hi-res laptop screens yet though so pleased previous 8.1 DPI scaleing tweaks were kept unlike the frustrating USB power save settings which reverted to turning of my USB hard drive every minute. Fortunately kept the Powershell script to modify the correct device registry entry and disable this feature again. Seems MSFT do not learn.

vincentwansink

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
Anybody else experiencing the file permissions bug? After upgrading I did not have permission to modify any of the files in my documents folder. I had to manually add my own Microsoft account (which I'm logged in with) to the security tab for the folder, with full control, and propagate that through all the sub folders and files.

For me, I know how to do that, but the average user won't and it seems like a rather major bug. Although I don't know how common this bug is. I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere, except for two other people gave the same feedback in the feedback app.

Lilla45

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
Anybody else experiencing the file permissions bug? After upgrading I did not have permission to modify any of the files in my documents folder. I had to manually add my own Microsoft account (which I'm logged in with) to the security tab for the folder, with full control, and propagate that through all the sub folders and files.

For me, I know how to do that, but the average user won't and it seems like a rather major bug. Although I don't know how common this bug is. I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere, except for two other people gave the same feedback in the feedback app.

Thanks for posting this. I think this could explain an issue that I ran into re permissions in documents folder. I got a message that I didn't have permissions to save to a particular folder within documents. I'll have to try to figure out how to do what you did. Thanks big time for dropping this clue...

Vivek Chattopadhyay

May 3, 2015
Visit site
Um guys, I need help.

On the Update History List, it shows that my system attempted to install Windows 10 Pro but that failed and now, when I 'check' for new updates, it shows no new updates available...Help Please!! :grincry:

lilnickiwonder

Jul 14, 2015
Visit site
I waited all day since 6 something for Win 10 to download through the media creation tool, I turned my head back to my computer just a couple of minutes ago and the setup is gone. No download finished notification or anything. I restarted and now the media creator wont open at all keeps showing "setup couldn't start properly, please reboot your PC and try running win 10 setup again." It does this over and over. What to do?

dlorde

Jul 31, 2015
Visit site

Yes, I had this - a serious oversight, and a very confusing if you're the only administrator user on a newly installed system!

Even for experienced long-term Windows users like me, the security permissions & credentials can be a bit of a maze to navigate, and you're never really sure if what you change will cause problems...

CapoFantasma97

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
Re: The Windows 10 "I'm Installing" Thread

Using the media creation tool, will it delete any data if you click on the upgrade this pc option??

Nope, you can choose later (after the download is completed) if you want to install, among 3 options:

?maintain all programs and files

?maintain files only

?wipe everything for a totally clean install

emperor_skull

Oct 25, 2013
Visit site
I waited all day since 6 something for Win 10 to download through the media creation tool, I turned my head back to my computer just a couple of minutes ago and the setup is gone. No download finished notification or anything. I restarted and now the media creator wont open at all keeps showing "setup couldn't start properly, please reboot your PC and try running win 10 setup again." It does this over and over. What to do?
Did you see a "downloading windows 10" percentage counter ?

emperor_skull

Oct 25, 2013
Visit site
Re: The Windows 10 "I'm Installing" Thread

Nope, you can choose later (after the download is completed) if you want to install, among 3 options:

?maintain all programs and files

?maintain files only

?wipe everything for a totally clean install
Thanks , another thing hope it doesn't change the product key, or request for one

mariusmuntean

Banned
Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
Cannot download or install. Errors: 80240031 and 80240021. Lenovo Miix 3-1030 32GB. tried all the fixes suggested with no positive results.
Could reserve with no problems, PC Check came out all green

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo