The Windows 10 "I'm Installing" Thread

Rasetech

Jan 31, 2014
Visit site
I cannot use the Media creation tool, it crashes with an "An error occured" after I select to perfrom the upgrade instead creating a bootable media

Crazy Animal

Jul 31, 2015
Visit site
My little sister stopped the installation and it was JUST about to finish installing and I was going to have my sweet Windows 10, now I'm re-downloading it for the 20th time. It always has to be me, *Gets new computer*, messed up then, *Updating new computer*, fail, *Annoyed*, yeah..

Rowland Jonathan1

Dec 18, 2014
Visit site
hmm, so you did an in place upgrade like me? I didn't get a warning per say that I wouldn't be able to revert to 8.1 as such when I selected i wanted to 'keep nothing...' I just assumed that would be the case. clearly my old OS is still there-something I found by accident in settings when I was confused the storage was still almost maxed out (I'm at 172gb of 250gb...) so if I went ahead and just nuked the old OS in Windows.old to get all that space back, then I'd pretty much have a 'clean' install right?
Even I found the windows.old in the :C drive.I don't really think even I have a clean install too.Don't know if you could clear space by doing that.Personally I haven't tried that.I have a free space of 262GB out of 299GB(OS drive).

vincentwansink

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for posting this. I think this could explain an issue that I ran into re permissions in documents folder. I got a message that I didn't have permissions to save to a particular folder within documents. I'll have to try to figure out how to do what you did. Thanks big time for dropping this clue...

Yes, I had this - a serious oversight, and a very confusing if you're the only administrator user on a newly installed system!

Even for experienced long-term Windows users like me, the security permissions & credentials can be a bit of a maze to navigate, and you're never really sure if what you change will cause problems...

Actually I found an easier way to fix the file permissions problem. Rather than assigning myself to the folder under security, I simply modified the security for the "Home user" which already exists.

This is how you do it.

1. In file explorer, right click on the folder and click Properties
  2. Click on the Security tab
  3. Click Edit
  4. Select "Home Users (yourcomputer\HomeUsers)"
  5. Check the "Allow" checkbox next to "Modify"
  6. Click OK
Note when I say click on "the folder" I mean the root folder below which you need to have access. For most people this is everything below C:\Windows\Users\YourUserName, but you could also do the same on pretty much any folder. I recommend you do this on your username folder under C:\Windows\Users. That will include your documents, pictures, music, etc.

Depending on how much stuff you have on your PC it could take a few minutes to propagate the security change to all the files in your folder.

Sawan Tank

Jan 29, 2014
Visit site
I have two Windows 10 devices with same Microsoft Account!
The problem is when I change desktop background on one of my PC, other PC's desktop background also get changed automatically to the one which I set on first PC.
I have seen it first time.
Can this process be removed?
I don't like it.

zocster

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
I don't have issues with ownership within my c drive per se, however I do have issues with ownership of my external drive

Finding it easier to do this Add "Take Ownership" to Explorer Right-Click Menu in Windows

Actually I found an easier way to fix the file permissions problem. Rather than assigning myself to the folder under security, I simply modified the security for the "Home user" which already exists.

This is how you do it.

1. In file explorer, right click on the folder and click Properties
  2. Click on the Security tab
  3. Click Edit
  4. Select "Home Users (yourcomputer\HomeUsers)"
  5. Check the "Allow" checkbox next to "Modify"
  6. Click OK
Note when I say click on "the folder" I mean the root folder below which you need to have access. For most people this is everything below C:\Windows\Users\YourUserName, but you could also do the same on pretty much any folder. I recommend you do this on your username folder under C:\Windows\Users. That will include your documents, pictures, music, etc.

Depending on how much stuff you have on your PC it could take a few minutes to propagate the security change to all the files in your folder.

Lilla45

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
I don't have issues with ownership within my c drive per se, however I do have issues with ownership of my external drive

Finding it easier to do this Add "Take Ownership" to Explorer Right-Click Menu in Windows

Thanks for posting this. I'm going to give the Add "Take Ownership" utility a try. I see this utility is also said to be useful in another discussion of this Win 10 issue. See posts 94, 98 (re "Take Ownership" utility), 100, 101 at the link below.
Win 10 up and running? Talk about your post-install experiences with it. - Page 4 - PC & Mac Hardware and Software - Digital Spy Forums

Santy28

Aug 1, 2015
Visit site
I just finished upgrading my laptop to Win 10 on HDD. I would like to now do a clean install on my new SSD. I will download the Installation media onto USB drive. Can someone help me with the next steps.

1) download to USB
2)change the boot priority to USB Drive ,
3)shut down
4)swap HDD to SSD
5)boot and Install .

Will the above steps work . Please advise.

Last edited:

jayneog

May 28, 2014
Visit site
Hie folks, typing from my Windows 10 laptop.

I had reserved my copy but nothing was happening, so I just downloaded the ISO file using the media creation tool and started the setup from it. The installation process went smooth and it didn't asked for any kind of key. I upgraded from 8.1 and my windows 10 is activated and running smoothly.

Prathameshk

May 31, 2014
Visit site
On 29 July my laptop downloaded the windows10 update and also copied it into '$Windows-BT' Folder at that time it was done in some few hours
I did clean install,my windows was not activated so i reverted to w7(that was another part)But,
Yesterday I reserved my copy i got the mail form ms about that today morning
Also i saw '$Windows-BT' Folder in my laptop (running windows 7) at 10:30
After that I saw only two files State.file and WindowsUpdateBox.exe file folder under 'Windows/SoftwareDistribution/Download/35***************' folder.
At 11:10 I saw that folder again there was a new file BIT90001.tmp file which means its been downloaded...
but that '$Windows-BT' folder is stuck at 140 mb, it is not increasing this was still from 11:10 i live in India so now time is 22:20(about 12 hours)
Is it normal to take this much time...because previously it didn't take this much time
what should i do wait for it or do a force update...please tell me...
Edit: Now i can see the windows update icon in my notification panel stating 'Downloading updates(42% completed) but in the control panel>windows update i cant see anything is updating currently also i checked for update and still there is a notification about the update

Abhishek Gupta1689

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
On 29 July my laptop downloaded the windows10 update and also copied it into '$Windows-BT' Folder at that time it was done in some few hours
I did clean install,my windows was not activated so i reverted to w7(that was another part)But,
Yesterday I reserved my copy i got the mail form ms about that today morning
Also i saw '$Windows-BT' Folder in my laptop (running windows 7) at 10:30
After that I saw only two files State.file and WindowsUpdateBox.exe file folder under 'Windows/SoftwareDistribution/Download/35***************' folder.
At 11:10 I saw that folder again there was a new file BIT90001.tmp file which means its been downloaded...
but that '$Windows-BT' folder is stuck at 140 mb, it is not increasing this was still from 11:10 i live in India so now time is 22:20(about 12 hours)
Is it normal to take this much time...because previously it didn't take this much time
what should i do wait for it or do a force update...please tell me...
Edit: Now i can see the windows update icon in my notification panel stating 'Downloading updates(42% completed) but in the control panel>windows update i cant see anything is updating currently also i checked for update and still there is a notification about the update

just open cmd and type wuauclt.exe/updatenow
let me know what happens

gMaesterUK

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
How is the speed

If you're talking about the Media Creation tool, it really does depend on your internet connection. I have a 150Mb/s connection so was fast, but when I upgraded my families PC's/tablets on a 16Mb/s it was slow... It downloads the nearly 3Gb file, then checks updates which is another 1Gb.

G.

Prathameshk

May 31, 2014
Visit site
just open cmd and type wuauclt.exe/updatenow
let me know what happens

I kept my laptop on whole night i saw that '$Windows-BT' folder grown upto 5.70 gb after i ran 'wuauclt.exe/updatenow' command i got error in the windows update history with error code-80240020
Should i use that registry edit to install w10 now(i saw solution about the error code on ms forums and it worked)or should i wait till microsoft gives me notification to install...

Rayson Lee

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
Been waiting and waiting 3 days and still not my turn, using wuauclt.exe /updatenow also not working.

I download the media tool, burn it on DVD, and run it to upgrade.

2 hours later, I am using windows 10 :-D

rakeshnandi

Aug 2, 2015
Visit site
I have Dell L502X , booked the Windows 10 Upgrade using previously installed Windows 7 . On 28-07-15 , saw windows is updating by downloading some heavy file using windows update . On 29-07-15 around 5:30 PM IST , a message popped up saying windows 10 is downloading.After around 2 hours of downloading Windows 10 starts Installing on my laptop and around 8 PM IST my laptop is ready with upgraded Windows 10 Pro . After that I downloaded the ISO of Windows 10 Pro from MS using Media Creation Tool . Using it for around 2-3 days I Did a Clean Install Of Windows 10 Pro using the ISO that I have downloaded previously.The activation process was done as soon as I completed the installation . The Process of upgrade and Clean Install both were smooth and hassle free. Now it's running smoothly. One problem or initial thoughts i would say is , the EDGE browser is some times hangs a bit while loading some Picture oriented Websites. Other than that everything is Fine.

Flat Tire

Sep 17, 2014
Visit site
Welp, like others, I got tired of waiting and went straight for the media tool download.

Summary:
- upgrade from 8.1
- took around 25 minutes for the upgrade process to complete (from the time I clicked the .iso to Win 10 desktop)
- no problems with activation (never asked for a key, and it was automatically activated after the upgrade was complete)
- Fences works (I thought this might fail due to the type of app it is)
- my DAW works (the thought of re-installing this and all the plug-ins gives me nightmares)
- with a little bit of tweaking, I've got the UI looking great
- it's running so well, I don't think I'm going to bother with a reset (running disk cleanup after the update freed an enormous amount of space on my main drive - went from 7-8GB free to almost 19GB. Should be noted that doing this will prevent you from downgrading to 8.1)

Problems:
- action center icon seems to light up even though I don't have any notifications (I wish they would use a number here to indicate the number of notifications)
- Bins doesn't work anymore (third party problem)
- I'm getting some flickering while navigating inside of Plex/Kodi (assume this is third party problem)

Other Thoughts:

- I think the store + "universal apps" look fantastic. This may actual entice me to grab a x86 tablet.

Prathameshk

May 31, 2014
Visit site
Atlast installed it in my laptop...hesitated while editing the registry but as i'm tech savvy so i did it...and it only required 45 mins...did a windows upgrade not a clean install...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss