The Windows 10 "I'm Installing" Thread

Steve Hampe

Aug 2, 2015
Visit site
Starting Day 3 of Win 10 on my Toshiba L755-S5106 - mixed bag so far.

I do like the look but ...

It took 22 hours to finally get it to upgrade properly. Didn't think it would demand installation of the last Win7 update, but it did. Then I restarted after asking da Google and learning about the clean install. Took an additional attempt as the process took so long it overheated the laptop. Attempt #3 was the charm.

Am suffering the video playback problem. Love the idea of the Netflix app, but can't run it.
Had to reinstall Dropbox and Google Drive.

Cautiously optimistic.

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
I kept my laptop on whole night i saw that '$Windows-BT' folder grown upto 5.70 gb after i ran 'wuauclt.exe/updatenow' command i got error in the windows update history with error code-80240020
Should i use that registry edit to install w10 now(i saw solution about the error code on ms forums and it worked)or should i wait till microsoft gives me notification to install...

This may be late, but may still be relevant to those who may encounter the same error.

Got this error in two different laptops, and for both the same solution worked:
1. delete everything inside the (C:) > Windows > SoftwareDistribution>Download folder
2. type and run wuauclt.exe /updatenow in command prompt with admin privileges

This should re-initiate the download process directly in Control Panel > Windows Update.

Mac211

May 20, 2015
Visit site
I just finished updating my nieces and my sisters laptop to Windows 10 and my flat was like a network station lol. Both went smoothly with the upgrade and then used my USB stick to clean install on both, and now they are both happy to have the Windows 10 installed. :D

diktea

May 6, 2013
Visit site
So my upgrade story is one of a horrible experience.... had downloaded windows 10 through windows media creation tool. I try to upgrade but will always give me error and ended there only (Asus ROG GL552JX - maybe some restrictions). So i did a clean install without upgrading it thinking it will activate with Windows 8.1 product key. it wasnt. So have to installl windows 8.1 again and then upgrade to windows 10. Its a hectic whole days work.

So my initial review on windows 10.
GOOD
- Its free upgrade :D
- Notification bar is nice and good.
- Edge starts quite fast and seem nice. (though the webpage loading seem to be slower than other browsers)
- Multiple Desktop function is welcome
- Store seem to be loading faster

What I DISLIKE
- no aero (for me at least) for applications (eg: Play video through Movies & TV - a big white bar is underneath for menu and seekbar, disrupting video experience, very very very very ugly UI)
- By the way speaking of Movie and Video (what happen from windows 8 upwards there is no next button or playlist possibility is beyond my understanding)
- Windows 8.1 menu system was far better than this windows 10 "Scrolling" program list which is so windows 98. (this compromise with the past version has done me no good)
- As usual the PEOPLE (Contact) list has been stripped of its beauty (the windows 8 version was the best and it was beautiful.) now the contacts are scrolled in the left side corner and the whole right screen is occupied with "Black Screen".
- the Calendar app (i prefer the windows 8.1 version which looks beautiful even just to behold) this windows 10 version is so cluttered and unkempt.

Prathameshk

May 31, 2014
Visit site
This may be late, but may still be relevant to those who may encounter the same error.

Got this error in two different laptops, and for both the same solution worked:
1. delete everything inside the (C:) > Windows > SoftwareDistribution>Download folder
2. type and run wuauclt.exe /updatenow in command prompt with admin privileges

This should re-initiate the download process directly in Control Panel > Windows Update.

Dont use this method because u already downloaded the required windows 10 files...after deleting files...this will redownload same windows 10 files...

Rather...
check windows update history from control panel if there are 'windows 10 failed to install message with error code -80240020' that means all files are downloaded and the installation will be intialize by the time u should give the time to intialize the installation process for that u should have some patience...
But if ur tech savvy users like me ;) and want to use windows 10 today...Then u can do a registry tweak to install the w10 right now...but still it is recommended to wait for the pop-up of the installation of w10 is ready...
Yes and it works perfectly...as it worked on my w7 laptop...

Warning: Serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Before you modify it, back up the registry for restoration in case problems occur.

1.Locate the registry key: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\OSUpgrade]

2.It should exist, but if not, create it.

3.Create a new DWORD (32-bit) Value with Name = "AllowOSUpgrade? (without the quotes), and set the Value = 0x00000001.
(may be u'll unable to type 0x00000001.... So just type only 1 instead of 0x00000001)

Once the registry key is modified, close and reopen the desktop Control Panel, go to Windows Update and check for updates. You should now be able to click the Get Started button to upgrade to Windows 10. Note: Windows 8.1 users must go to the desktop Control Panel, and not the modern Windows Update UI.?
Refer this too....
Link for registery tweak:
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...0/d695e827-9774-4e10-8972-df8d51a7bb51?auth=1

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Dont use this method because u already downloaded the required windows 10 files...after deleting files...this will redownload same windows 10 files...

Rather...
check windows update history from control panel if there are 'windows 10 failed to install message with error code -80240020' that means all files are downloaded and the installation will be intialize by the time u should give the time to intialize the installation process for that u should have some patience...
But if ur tech savvy users like me ;) and want to use windows 10 today...Then u can do a registry tweak to install the w10 right now...but still it is recommended to wait for the pop-up of the installation of w10 is ready...
Yes and it works perfectly...as it worked on my w7 laptop...

Warning: Serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Before you modify it, back up the registry for restoration in case problems occur.

1.Locate the registry key: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\OSUpgrade]

2.It should exist, but if not, create it.

3.Create a new DWORD (32-bit) Value with Name = "AllowOSUpgrade” (without the quotes), and set the Value = 0x00000001.
(may be u'll unable to type 0x00000001.... So just type only 1 instead of 0x00000001)

Once the registry key is modified, close and reopen the desktop Control Panel, go to Windows Update and check for updates. You should now be able to click the Get Started button to upgrade to Windows 10. Note: Windows 8.1 users must go to the desktop Control Panel, and not the modern Windows Update UI.”
Refer this too....
Link for registery tweak:
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...0/d695e827-9774-4e10-8972-df8d51a7bb51?auth=1

Yes, the process proposed will make the PC download Windows 10 "from scratch", but in all the PCs I've performed this method on the installation went flawlessly (of course I had to wait for the download to complete in Windows Update).

So I guess it's now a question of either taking the risk of messing up the Registry or simply waiting for everything (needed for Windows 10) to be downloaded again in Windows Update. I messed up the registry before; I'm going for the waiting option. :smile:

Prathameshk

May 31, 2014
Visit site
Yes, the process proposed will make the PC download Windows 10 "from scratch", but in all the PCs I've performed this method on the installation went flawlessly (of course I had to wait for the download to complete in Windows Update).

So I guess it's now a question of either taking the risk of messing up the Registry or simply waiting for everything (needed for Windows 10) to be downloaded again in Windows Update. I messed up the registry before; I'm going for the waiting option. :smile:

Waiting option is recommended...because the update will be automatically triggered(officially by MS when ur pc is ready) still if u want to install it u can force it by editing registry to install in ur pc ;)

acerace113

Sep 6, 2014
Visit site
I updated the day it came out (July 29th) on my windows 8.1 pc. It took about 6 hours total to do the update. I had to reinstall my video card drivers after the update to windows 10 but now it's working smooth. I did force the upgrade by going to the Microsoft site and downloading the windows 10 media creation tool. It gave me the option to upgrade my pc to windows 10 so that's what I did.
For those that want to use the link I used to upgrade:
https://forums.windowscentral.com/e..._PostReserve_MediaCreationTool&token=bc7NMMDM

Sent from my 6th gen iPod touch using Tapatalk

c3RAMburger

Aug 13, 2015
Visit site
My upgrade from Windows 7 Ultimate went very well, but I also later did a PC Reset yesterday. That messed up my USB Controllers for a bit til I cold booted with Windows Updates today. I went a step further however, and performed a clean install using the Windows 10 ISO and now (so far) it's running better than ever.

If you have the time it's probably worth it to start with a blank slate. One note: the extra partition shown when preparing to reformat HDD either has something to do with a backup of the previous OS upgraded from, or possibly also the Windows 10 product key. I didn't touch them just to be safe.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
So I caved in and accepted the reservation on my laptop. I was running 8.1 Pro after 6 years on W7 Pro and it was great. I've read many of the horror stories here so I was reluctant to say the least. After I got the confirmation email, the next day I had an update message. Windows 10 downloaded through Windows Update and installed shortly thereafter. It took about 2 hours total and when it was all over I only needed to get the video drivers (Windows Update again) and the Bluetooth 1/2 card drivers (had them in a folder). One restart later I was up and running with zero issues. My Intel HD drivers have crashed twice and recovered but this was happening on 8.1 as well when I first got it. I know this is a temporary bug because after the first few days on 8.1, it never happened again. I don't know what it is that people are doing that is causing so much grief but my experience has been as trouble-free as it gets.

I took the plunge because I figured that it wasn't the OS that was causing problems. There are reports of Mail, Edge, Calendar and a host of other apps not working for some people. I'm not reading any such reports from people who've purchased devices with W10 pre-installed so it's got to be "pilot error" as the NTSB would say. Maybe I'm just lucky and need to get to Vegas pronto.

anon(8098745)

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
I was running windows 8.1 Prox64 on my machine, as windows 10 is offered as a free upgrade to win 8.1 pro users, I decided to upgrade mine to win10.
So I reserved my copy of win 10 and upgraded my system to windows 10 pro.
But the bad news is, its not getting activated.
I am getting an error code saying my windows is not genuine.
My win 8.1 was a genuine copy.
Please help me.

daffy_duck_nj

Sep 12, 2015
Visit site
Loaded Win 10 Home from a burned DVD a few days ago. No problems with upgrading, as I used a system image for an ASUS X54C laptop that was essentially a factory setup, but on Win7 SP1. Took me about an hour to upgrade, then another hour to reinstall and set up some apps. My 10 install is 64 bit.

My only issues so far is running older Win95 games. I was able to run a few games like War Gods (with a small registry hack), and Taz Wanted on 8.1. Taz doesn't seem to work on 10... have yet to try other games. I will reinstall Debian stable ASAP, but am trying to figure out how to maintain hibernate mode in 10 with another OS installed. I lived without it on 8.1. Hibernate did work for me when I had 7 SP1 + Debian.

daffy_duck_nj

Sep 12, 2015
Visit site
So I caved in and accepted the reservation on my laptop. I was running 8.1 Pro after 6 years on W7 Pro and it was great. I've read many of the horror stories here so I was reluctant to say the least. After I got the confirmation email, the next day I had an update message. Windows 10 downloaded through Windows Update and installed shortly thereafter. It took about 2 hours total and when it was all over I only needed to get the video drivers (Windows Update again) and the Bluetooth 1/2 card drivers (had them in a folder). One restart later I was up and running with zero issues. My Intel HD drivers have crashed twice and recovered but this was happening on 8.1 as well when I first got it. I know this is a temporary bug because after the first few days on 8.1, it never happened again. I don't know what it is that people are doing that is causing so much grief but my experience has been as trouble-free as it gets.

I took the plunge because I figured that it wasn't the OS that was causing problems. There are reports of Mail, Edge, Calendar and a host of other apps not working for some people. I'm not reading any such reports from people who've purchased devices with W10 pre-installed so it's got to be "pilot error" as the NTSB would say. Maybe I'm just lucky and need to get to Vegas pronto.

Mail, and Calendar work well for me. I can read my Outlook and Gmail emails without issues. My upgrade was as close as one can get to a clean install, thanks to using a relatively small system image. My install was smooth, about an hour's worth. Now if only I can run my older Win 95 games... maybe I'll have to run those through WiNE in Linux once I have Debian stable reinstalled. :)

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Mail, and Calendar work well for me. I can read my Outlook and Gmail emails without issues. My upgrade was as close as one can get to a clean install, thanks to using a relatively small system image. My install was smooth, about an hour's worth. Now if only I can run my older Win 95 games... maybe I'll have to run those through WiNE in Linux once I have Debian stable reinstalled. :)

Maybe you can run them in Compatibility Mode?

Tonio78

Apr 1, 2015
Visit site
Hi,

Installed W10 on an old, old Asus Z92J and it works surprisingly well (only 2 GB of RAM, small Celeron processor...). Found suitable graphics driver, sound chip, etc. Only thing where I find nothing is the Bison Web-cam where there doesn't seem to be something that works.

By any chance, did any of you face this and found a solution?

Thanks,

Ton

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
OK, so today I upgraded my 3rd device, an older HP Elitebook 2730p. It's probably the oldest device I have yet the upgrade went the smoothest. My 2 previous machines needed updated video drivers to finish but this one went off without a hitch. I also noticed it went much quicker than the others yet it's the one with the least amount of RAM (4GB). Then again, it's the only one with a SSD so maybe the write speeds make a noticeable difference over the 5400rpm HDDs on my other units.

I don't know if the builds have gotten that much better since release, but I'm very happy nonetheless.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Only thing where I find nothing is the Bison Web-cam where there doesn't seem to be something that works.

Let Windows Update do its thing, I have a Bison Cam on my MSI GT60 and it works flawlessly as 8.1 as on 10

Or you can try downloading the Win 7 driver from here and install it in compatibility mode.

anon(8098745)

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
I was running windows 8.1 Prox64 on my machine, as windows 10 is offered as a free upgrade to win 8.1 pro users, I decided to upgrade mine to win10.
So I reserved my copy of win 10 and upgraded my system to windows 10 pro.
But the bad news is, its not getting activated.
I am getting an error code saying my windows is not genuine.
My win 8.1 was a genuine copy.
Please help me.

Almost took a month but my windows 10 Pro x64 got activated automatically.

DennisvdG

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
How do you properly install w10?

Last week I tried upgrading my pc which had a fresh installation of 8.1 on it. Within a day it got blue screened and I was forced to reformat and reinstall 8.1. So can anyone tell me what the proper way is to install w10? That would be greatly appreciated.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leviwilkersion