Does anyone know the details of how Windows 10 will be released to Insiders?

Paul Stoner

May 23, 2015
Visit site
So I am on 10240 like most of everyone probably is at this point, and I have seen articles where Microsoft stated that they are going to cater to the Insiders first.

Question is, is it just going to be an update? Are we going to get our own keys, the ability to download the ISO for a completely fresh install? Install via USB stick if desired?

Anyone have any details of how this is going to play out?

TheCudder

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
Per Gabe Aul (about a month ago):

As long as you are running an Insider Preview build and connected with the MSA (Microsoft Account) you used to register, you will receive the Windows 10 final release build and remain activated. Once you have successfully installed this build and activated, you will also be able to clean install on that PC from final media if you want to start over fresh

So I would assume that they would make Insider ISO's available soon, but for now -- if you're an Insider and update-to-date...you're already on the RTM build, 10240 TH1_ST1.

anon(5383410)

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
There's no need for an update, you already have RTM. I'd do a check for updates tonight in case there were any last minute security patches and install those, but for all intents and purposes you have what everyone will get tomorrow.

At this point it's your choice to either opt out of the insider program and keep what you have, or stick with it and continue to receive new features first (until they kill the insider program).

If you want physical media you can create it yourself as a backup.

Digital Moe

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
I have windows 8 and 10 on different partitions, if i let the 8 partition upgrade and format the other OS what happens to the bootloader? Am likely to destroy my install?

Paul Stoner

May 23, 2015
Visit site
This makes sense...download the update tonight, create a bootable USB install stick...reinstall - unfortunately - no info on getting a unique key?

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I have windows 8 and 10 on different partitions, if i let the 8 partition upgrade and format the other OS what happens to the bootloader? Am likely to destroy my install?

I think you'll be ok. On your partition with 8.1 with Windows 10 reserved, just let it upgrade to 10. The upgrade setup doesn't format the drive (Unless you tell it to by performing a clean install). The other partition with you Win 10 insider preview should remain unaffected, and you'll be able to dual boot as you normally do.

I'm doing this very same thing, (except I'm upgrading my main Win7 installation on my primary partition, and I have the insider preview build on a secondary partition) so I'll let you know how it goes.. I don't expect too many issues.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon