Need some info on Windows 10 free upgrade about future installs

wyldkytten

Nov 13, 2014
Visit site
I know we will have to do the Win 10 upgrade through Windows Update the first time and then we will be able to do a clean install later on if we want on the same machine. However, what I would like to know is will we be able to download like a Win 10 ISO and put that on a bootable USB drive and have a traditional CD key to do this future clean install? I always like to do a clean install when I put on a new OS.

Also, since this is an upgrade, will Win 10 during a clean install ask for our Win 7 media like it has during previous clean installs with an upgrade disc?

wyldkytten

Nov 13, 2014
Visit site
No, I mean will we be giving a Win 10 CD Key with the upgrade so we can do a clean install in the future, or will future clean installs be handled differently, like maybe be tied to an email address/Microsoft account?

Another question I have is I have not done an upgrade from one version of Windows to another for a long time. I think I upgraded 2000 to XP but since then every time I have installed a new version it has been a clean install. It used to be that upgrading one version to a new version one could expect some quirks and issues and a clean install was always recommended to have the best experience. Has that changed now? Is doing an upgrade from Win 7 to Win 10 going to be just as smooth as doing a clean install once Win 10 is installed?

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
If it does not use the same Key from your current Windows 7 install, then it will have to assign a new Key during upgrade. That's why I plan to peek at the Key before and after... So I know I have the valid key after OTA upgrade when I want to do my clean install.

So far as I know, clean install is still the best - and still something most users avoid. I think the OTA is just to push 10 at as many systems as they can quickly. That's sufficient for most users in any event. Those of us that want a clean install will have to jump through an extra hoop this time.

I don't know that there is any plan to abandon tying an install to your hardware with a Key.

wyldkytten

Nov 13, 2014
Visit site
If it does not use the same key from your current Windows 7 install, then it will have to assign a new Key during upgrade. That's why I plan to peek at the Key before and after... So I know I have the valid key after OTA upgrade when I want to do my clean install.

So far as I know, clean install is still the best - and still something most users avoid. I think the OTA is just to push 10 at as many systems as they can quickly. That's sufficient for most users in any event. Those of us that want a clean install will have to jump through an extra hoop this time.

So the Win 10 CD Key may actually be our Win 7/8.1 CD keys?

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I can confirm that once I upgraded to 10, my Key for "Windows (BIOS OEM Key)" remained the exact same as it was under 8.1.

However, my "Windows 10 Home" is a completely new key from the one I had on 8.1.

Save your Keys, people!!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss