"Here's why Windows 10 can't be installed on this computer."

TimboNJ

May 12, 2012
Visit site
The video driver.

ATI Radeon X1200 series.

"The display manufacturer hasn't made your display compatible with Windows 10."

How could they make it compatible when it's not out yet?

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Because like Insiders, they could've had access to pre-release builds?

Many have added Windows 10 support and it hasn't even launched in most places yet.

ReverendSlim

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Ran into the same problem with older Nvidia chipsets at my office. If you're feeling brave... here's a way around it: Install Win10 using the media creation tool. This will bypass the compatibility check. Once you boot into Win10 for the first time, it will be using the default display driver at 1024x768 resolution. Then, install the last Win8.1 driver available for your video chipset. It should work and get you back to a reasonable resolution.

Please note that this is mostly for business users who aren't worried about 3-D and whose video cards are end-of-life (meaning they won't be supported in the future). Doing this will force DirectX back to a compatibility mode for whatever DX variant your driver supports. For instance, on my Geforce 6150SE systems at my office, dxdiag now reports WDDM 1.0 instead of 2.0... and is running DX9ex compatibility instead of DX12. So do it at your own risk... but it's totally working fine for several of my business machines so far. It's a shame that AMD and Nvidia aren't providing at least a basic driver for these older chipsets, considering how recently they were used in basic business machines.

TimboNJ

May 12, 2012
Visit site
Ran into the same problem with older Nvidia chipsets at my office. If you're feeling brave... here's a way around it: Install Win10 using the media creation tool. This will bypass the compatibility check. Once you boot into Win10 for the first time, it will be using the default display driver at 1024x768 resolution. Then, install the last Win8.1 driver available for your video chipset. It should work and get you back to a reasonable resolution..

Ok. I'm running Windows 10 now and running at 1024x768. I'm just having trouble finding the 8.1 driver.

ReverendSlim

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Oh, god... They don't even have a Win7 driver for the X1200 on AMD's website, much less Win8. Looks like people using the X1200 on Win7/8 were just using the Vista drivers. Try installing the Vista driver. If it gives you a compatibility message, I think you can hit MORE and tell it to install anyway. If it ran under Win7/8, it will possibly work in Win10.

ReverendSlim

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Go to AMD's drivers and support (they bought ATI). Under "Manually select your driver", pick Desktop Graphics, then Radeon X Series, then Radeon x1xxx Series, then whether you need 32-bit or 64-bit Vista drivers.

Saja Kora

Aug 20, 2015
Visit site
I had put up a request for windows 10 upgrade since more than a week now. Every morning I do check for developments in terms of its availability, only to received a note this morning indicating that my pc has a display compartibility problem (ATI Radeon X1200 series). How can I solve this problem?

Saja Kora

Aug 20, 2015
Visit site
I had put up a request for windows 10 upgrade since more than a week now. Every morning I do check for developments in terms of its availability, only to received a note this morning indicating that my pc has a display compartibility problem (ATI Radeon X1200 series). How can I solve this problem?

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
What a good thread, someone with a problem, people helped out and all is sorted and the knowledge that old drivers can still work is shared by all.

Well apart from people who don't read the posts then say they have an identical problem and expect someone to type it out again (Saja, read the thread and follow the advise given to the OP, it explains how to solve your problem).

alscrimp

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
After going online and getting many ideas, I finally got my ATI Radeon X1200 Video driver to work. However when I reboot the computer I have to turn it off/on several times before the display works. I know when to do this because when I boot up the computer the BIOS shows no instructions for getting into it. When I shut the computer off and turn it back on and if I see the F2 and F8 instructions pop up I know it will work properly. Now here is the issue: It does not do this all the time. Sometimes it will work on its own. Ideas?

elindalyne

Aug 1, 2015
Visit site
It sounds like you're having actual hardware issues. You're using an 8 year old card at this point so it's not really to be unexpected.

Gene Melson

Sep 19, 2015
Visit site
How do I " Install Win10 using the media creation tool."? What is the media creation tool? My other computer had no compatibility issues. the software (having been placed on my hard drive by the upgrading program we all received) installed with a couple mouse clicks within an hour. On this laptop if I click the W10 icon, I get the message that things are not compatible. As you can tell, I'm no kind of a computer geek, i.e., if it doesn't work when I click it/turn it on, it's broke. Need some patient instruction here...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes