The Windows Central Windows 10 Tailgate party!

Danny King

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
I'm starting to wonder if this is a bit of a disaster. I've had so many people come to me complaining about seeing the Windows 10 Upgrade has failed in Windows Update.

I'm waiting to see if it's simply a case of having to wait, but if so many PC's are failing the upgrade, it's going to be a disaster for Microsoft.

l33tuc

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
I can't believe that all 4 of my PCs have corrupt/incomplete downloads... Especially as they're all coming from different versions of Windows... 7 Home Premium, 7 Pro, 8.1 with Bing & 8.1 Pro... There must be something else at play here surely?

Danny King

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
I can't believe that all 4 of my PCs have corrupt/incomplete downloads... Especially as they're all coming from different versions of Windows... 7 Home Premium, 7 Pro, 8.1 with Bing & 8.1 Pro... There must be something else at play here surely?

Exactly. If someone else in your country / region has successfully upgraded (I'm not sure I've seen a real successful upgrade without doing the questionable CMD trick, though) and 4 of your PC's have not then that gives you some idea of the failure rate.

If so many are failing like this then it's a major PR disaster for Microsoft come tomorrow.

Harkules

Jul 9, 2015
Visit site
For those of us on build 10240 is there going to be anything new that comes with the official version of 10? If there are any enhancements I sure hope they fixed those that affected Edge's performance. Other than that I think this is going to be awesome! Can't wait to get the official version. I've been through too much pain on the earlier builds on my main PC haha.

fifthGear

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I see a few of those in my Windows Update history as well. However, given that it's currently still the 28th of July where I am I'm not ready to think anything of it.

Perhaps it periodically queries MS servers for permission to install or for a license key or similar.

Danny King

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
For those of us on build 10240 is there going to be anything new that comes with the official version of 10? If there are any enhancements I sure hope they fixed those that affected Edge's performance. Other than that I think this is going to be awesome! Can't wait to get the official version. I've been through too much pain on the earlier builds on my main PC haha.

10240 is the official version, along with update KB3074683. There's nothing new for Insiders to upgrade to, you've already got 'it'. This is the version that people who are not in the insider program upgrading to Windows 10 will get.

Pre1

Jul 29, 2015
Visit site
Exactly. If someone else in your country / region has successfully upgraded (I'm not sure I've seen a real successful upgrade without doing the questionable CMD trick, though) and 4 of your PC's have not then that gives you some idea of the failure rate.

If so many are failing like this then it's a major PR disaster for Microsoft come tomorrow.

I'm no expert but if I look at my windowsupdate.log it appears to be attempting to grab the last of the download but is not authorized causing the update to be shown as "Failed" could just be that you need to make it through the queue to get the last bit. We are only seeing this because we are forcing update checks, the average user is doing no such thing so this update "fail" is not really an issue?

Danny King

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
This very well may be the case, yes. Unfortunately nobody knows for sure because Microsoft inexplicably won't tell anyone. This is why I am waiting to see.

It's kind of irrelevant for me as I'm running it already anyway;

l33tuc

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site

I'm going to assume that I and the RoW just need to wait... Given the fact that it's not the 29th in USA yet... Which I also assume is where the 'master switch' is. So on that note, I'm gonna go to bed! :)

danj210

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
I've read most of the comments because I'm sitting here watching TV and waiting to see what happens on midnight. I have been an insider since the beginning. I've had my main desktop on the program with RTM installed, my dell laptop, and my dell venue 8 pro tablet. My parents' two laptops are windows 7, our brand new business work desktop is windows 8.1 and on all three of those I have their copy of windows 10 reserved... oh, and the small office desktop we also have the insider preview RTM installed... BUT, last night I drove to the nearest Microsoft store and I bought me a brand new Core i7 Surface Pro 3 and OMG!!! What a huge upgrade going from the venue 8 pro and not only that but from my very old but worthy of its service, laptop!!! I love the Pro 3 so far and using it is beautiful. But since I did get it just last night I have not been able to pout the insider preview on it as I do like every other device above that I listed, I do have the copy of windows 10 reserved though. From what I've read I suppose it's unlikely I'll get the Surface Pro 3 on windows 10 so early but possibly the computers I do have on the RTM release will get it still.

45 minutes until it's supposed launch for the EST. I'll be here waiting!

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs