The Windows Central Windows 10 Tailgate party!

sully9088

Apr 10, 2015
Visit site
So I have a question. My Windows 8.1 OS had some corrupt system files. It only affected a few files/games (ie. Elite Dangerous crashes 5 minutes after I start it). Will the upgrade to Windows 10 completely replace all my 8.1 system files? If not then will a clean install of Windows 10 replace all files? I didn't want to pay Microsoft to fix the files until W10 came out just in case. I hope W10 will wipe away all the old corrupt files.

WizardCM

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
No idea what to do anymore then just wait and see what'll happen -.-

Hey guys, is the update 'Upgrade To Windows 10 Home' supposed to fail? The error code is 80240020 if you guys would like to know and such. But please tell if this is normal or not. I'm just so confused if it is or not. :unhappysweat:

I had this issue myself too, it's really silly. The thing that helped me the most is:

Run
wuauclt.exe /updatenow
in an elevated command prompt directly after clicking 'Check for updates' (while it's searching). If it decides to say that the update failed, do it again. Don't delete any files or anything like that. If 0x80070002 shows up, run the auto fix available on Microsoft Support - then do the above fix again.

I'm literally on my 5th download. This time, I have a progress bar that is actually useful.

All the error codes I ran into today (most of them hidden within C:\Windows\WindowsUpdate.log):

• 0x80240FFF
  • 0x80070490
  • 0x80070057
  • 0x80070002

This is on a new installation of Windows 8.1 (as of last weekend). Hopefully this isn't the norm, as the whole thing was frustrating.

thememonster93

Mar 4, 2015
Visit site
Windows update failed for me so I will have to use the upgrade tool. And all of last nights' downloading went to waste. :(

EDIT Does anybody know how to stop it form downloading in the background so I can redirect my internet connection to the upgrade tool rather than windows update?

WizardCM

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
Windows update failed for me so I will have to use the upgrade tool. And all of last nights' downloading went to waste. :(

EDIT Does anybody know how to stop it form downloading in the background so I can redirect my internet connection to the upgrade tool rather than windows update?

Stop and disable Background Intelligent Transfer Service and the Windows Update service.

brainimpact

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
all last night window 10 failed like 10x in the updater app, when i woke up today I clicked the reserve windows icon and it changed to windows is now ready it downloaded a few files and updated via that fine.
So my piece of advice is ignore windows update and wait until windows reserve app changes when its opened and just follow what it says

I'm about to update an Acer Aspire Switch 10, I'm a bit worried doing that b/c I have no recovery backup b/c i have no spare USB Pen-drive to make one, if anything goes wrong I'm truly done for. Will a Micro SD card work inside a USB connector?

brainimpact

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
How do you do a clean install of windows 10?
I just read from a friend that you can not use Win 8 Key to Activate Windows 10 Installs and the trick we used in Windows 8.1 where we used the tempory key to install windows 8.1 and then used change product key option once we get inside to allow the use of a Win 8 key on 8.1 no longer works

AbAll87

Jul 29, 2015
Visit site
So i have an old ASUS, almost 4 years old... I have the update ready but i'm worried of missing drivers... Anyone updated an Asus K53E yet? I had missing drivers when i updated to windows 8 but there were drivers ready on their website. I checked but nothing so far windows 10 since it literally just came out...

Had anyone had that experience with windows 8 from another asus but updated to windows 10 with no missing drivers?

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
I'm a little bit disappointed with the roll out. My store stopped working and had to do a fix by clearing appdata cache. Now films and tv stopped working but don't see the app in the data. That one I don't care too much about. But I really thought they may at least update some of the apps that are available on Windows 10. The people app still looks horrible and uses an ellipses that is placed in some odd spot instead of hamburger menu. The mail app doesn't even let you do "select all". my notifications settings have some odd entries with app id's. The store doesn't maneuver as well as it should. For example, you do a search and click "show all". When you go into an actual app and hit back. Instead of going back to the "show all" page it goes back to the main page. It's just small things like that which people will notice. I never have these issues in the Apple store nor google. Edge still locks up on busy ad ridden websites. And I'm running a pretty beefed up gaming PC. This is the one application they should have really put time into. If it sucks in the beginning people will switch to chrome and never look back. It will once again get a bad rep. The small things do matter. Either way I love Windows 10 and realize it's a work in progress, it's just people that get it may not be so forgiving.

They did promise us a surprise so still waiting to see what pans out.

ReprobusR

Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
No Windows 10 update ! This is sorta pathetic ! I know a few people who all said, where is the update, there all saying next month it will arrive.

Why can't Microsoft mail out the Windows 10 DVD or I can pick it up at a store ?

Musicman247

Aug 29, 2006
www.splashblog.com
White shirts are insider shirts, black ones are for anyone who upgrades. They're the same binary Windows logo that Joe B was sporting. Black has #Windows10 on the back, white says #WindowsInsider

abass

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site

If it's on your desktop, take out the graphics card, update, and then pop it back in. You'll probably get some UI bugs but I can't imagine it being too bad. Otherwise, gotta do just as it suggests, wait for NVIDIA to update their drivers.

​I mean you could of course check online to see if your graphics card has driver updates.. But that'd be too easy of a route.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss