The Windows Central Windows 10 Tailgate party!

ajj3085

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
Installed Win10 today in my Surface Pro 2, now playing with it after work. Took an hour or so, went off without a hitch! So far so good, but why are they forcing two start screen groups with a max three tile width???? So much wasted space (yes, my start is full screen, never understood the hate for that)!

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I was going to use an ISO from MSDN, but as it turns out I am out of DVDs (had one, but it was scratched and wouldn't work). So I redownloaded using the tool from insider.windows.com, creating the jump drive. I wanted a clean install, so I tried a reset in Win8 on my SP3, and it couldn't do the reset.

I upgraded to Win10, and then did a reset, expecting it to go back to a fresh install of Win10, but no. It went back to 8.1. So now I'm running the Win10 upgrade again (right now downloading the updates). Ugh.

I was curious about this....
If, for whatever reason, you have to reset or refresh an original W8/8.1 tablet or PC running W10, will it start you at 10 or all the way back at 8/8.1???? Guess now I know. That's a bummer.

Boss Fight

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
Working pretty well for me. Really impressed with UX improvements. 2 big problems tho: Cortana is not "compatible" with my Surface Pro 3 mic. And, the Store opened once, now it crashes before load every time.

ajj3085

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
I'm pretty sure doing a clean install it asks for the product Key and b/c it does it will fail b/c Windows 8.x/7 product Keys wont activate Windows 10.

You can't do a clean install first. You must upgrade your qualified Windows first. Then you can do a clean install. I think the upgrade process sends your existing key to MS so they can mark it as valid genuine, and then link it so you can use it for win 10. But you must upgrade in place first.

jwinch2

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
Everything is installed and I am running it now. It took around 90 minutes for the whole thing, but I suppose that is pretty much standard. Some people were reporting issues with Norton. I just turned it off prior to the install and things went smoothly from there.

thememonster93

Mar 4, 2015
Visit site
All of you people saying, "It only took 90 min." or "An hour later..."
I started the download via the tool at 8 am EST. As of right now it is "Checking for updates 67%"

67.PNG

13 hours and counting...

stephen_victor

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Capture.jpg

My simple desktop. Loving Windows 10 much, but that on screen keyboard...smh. It doesn't auto-summon for text input from first party apps. And no trace typing like mobile. Argh...

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
All of you people saying, "It only took 90 min." or "An hour later..."
I started the download via the tool at 8 am EST. As of right now it is "Checking for updates 67%"

View attachment 109553

13 hours and counting...

It took 40 minutes to download the update to both my wife and daughters tablets on a shared Wi-Fi with my laptop, XB, Desktop and our three phones. This on a 10mb connection. Not everyone's going to be that lucky though.

mayconvert

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
I have had it a few hours now. LOVE IT. The only thing they need is a unified inbox in the mail app and its perfection.
/feedback already shows 1200 up votes for this topic.
GOOD job MS!

thememonster93

Mar 4, 2015
Visit site
Yep chronically slow internet is the reason. I am not blaming anybody, it has just taken forever. However I am now installing and at least that is going much faster.

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
My Insider Preview laptop went flawlessly (besides messing with ISO files with Build 10162), and another laptop went flawlessly with the update. This horrible x32 laptop though...it's so frustrating. I still have two PC's to update but I'll deal with that later.

JithinPrasad

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
i have pre installed Windows 8.1 HP Laptop.
nd update via windows update is continously failing for some time.
so if i download the Windows 10 via ISO or media tool will my windows copy get activated.
help needed.

luniboy26

May 7, 2013
Visit site
Minor issues that I've come across after a full day of use include: Xbox game streaming largest/crashing on 75mbps network, Xbox app consistently not launching when in tablet mode, metro apps (is this still the term?) not downloading, store crashing, surface pen stopped registering (restart seems to have fixed it), and tiles not wanting to resize. Again, minor things, but just some little annoyances.

An oddity for me is when I choose to open a PDF in Internet Explorer (still using because my nursing course uses Silverlight) it opens the PDF in Edge instead of the PDF app. At first, I kept thinking the app was crashing because you'd see the loading bar, but nothing would pop up. Wasn't until I started minimizing things I saw it. Also, the Xbox app making you use extra apps to do things it shows inside the app seems... unfinished I guess is the best way to say it politely (expected, but maybe take out the feature like "customize avatar" if it's going to make you download another app which then proceeds to give an error message lol).

All in all I'm still loving the upgrade. Now lets get a dark theme for Groove or a system wide auto day/night theme where based on the time of day it chooses between light and dark theme.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I'm loving the look of Windows 10. It feels so fresh.

I do think that it's not quite as efficient as 8.1 in tablet mode, but I imagine that will be improved in the near future. MS has done a great job at implementing changes due to consumer feedback.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
...and bummed that I wanted o upgrade my Sony VAIO Tap 20, but there's a message from Sony saying not to upgrade because they haven't tested their drivers yet. Won't be done until around September!

Angry_Mushroom

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
Finally got my laptop working nicely with Windows 10. Ended up doing a clean install to get rid of any rubbish that could have been left over. Must say... I'm digging the new UI.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diane Cunhm