How should I Upgrade to Win10? Decisions, decisions....Advice accepted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darkgift

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
So I am part of the Insider Program. My Win10 is on a separate partition so I can dual-boot Win7 and 10. I'm sure my Win10 will be able to upgrade right at midnight, but I did reserve an upgrade for Win7. Should I just erase the Win 7 partition and start from scratch with the Win10 and redownloading and restoring applications and files. Or just wait for my Win 7 upgrade, risk waiting days, maybe weeks, but have all my files and settings transferred automatically, and just delete the Win10 Insider partition? What would you do?

Mahdi Ghiasi

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
According to this article, since you did not upgraded your Windows 7 to Windows 10, that 10 installation will not be genuine.

Here's the exact quote:

If you installed any of the Windows 10 Previews on a computer running Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 as an upgrade, you'll be able to upgrade to the final release of Windows 10 and the operating system will stay fully activated.

If you've performed a clean installation of Windows 10 Preview, you'll have to roll back to your previous version, before upgrading to the final version of Windows 10 and have the operating system fully activated.

In order to upgrade your Windows 7 license to Windows 10, you have to upgrade from Windows 7. So I think you'd better remove that 10 Tech Preview installation for now.

That's actually what I'm doing on my Surface.

Darkgift

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
According to this article, since you did not upgraded your Windows 7 to Windows 10, that 10 installation will not be genuine.

Here's the exact quote:

In order to upgrade your Windows 7 license to Windows 10, you have to upgrade from Windows 7. So I think you'd better remove that 10 Tech Preview installation for now.

That's actually what I'm doing on my Surface.

Hmmmm....very confusing, as my Win10 partition just updated about an hour ago (10pm eastern time NJ, USA) and there is no longer the build number in the right corner, and the software is activated. I'll just leave the partition for now, boot up the Win 7 and see what happens from midnight on.

Mahdi Ghiasi

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
The RTM version (which released ~two weeks ago) doesn't have the build number in the right corner, and says the software is activated. I'm not exactly sure but it might be the Insider license (not your Windows 7 license), which expires if you don't remain an insider.

It's safer to upgrade from 7 actually :)

Darkgift

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
So right at midnight on the 29th the Win7 partition upgraded, so no worries. Erased the Insider partition and am loving Win10.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss