08-15-2015 10:29 AM
207 ... 34567 ...
tools
    Can't we just download the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool, found on microsoft[dot]com/en-us/software-download/windows10? It seems to work for me. (As a new WindowsCentral forum user, I can't post links. Hence my use of " [dot] " in the microsoft URL above.
    07-29-2015 07:16 PM
    It works, but it won't activate or let you download apps from the store.
    07-29-2015 07:48 PM
    Finally sorted on all devices, I let the media creation tool do the download and update on my desktop and it installed without any issues. Will have a bit more time to play with it in the morning.
    07-29-2015 07:49 PM
    it automatically activated??
    07-29-2015 07:54 PM
    thanks a million. Downloading windows 10 now
    07-29-2015 09:06 PM
    I tried through Windows Update but without any luck. Checking update history revealed numerous failed automatic upgrade attempts. I downloaded the Media Creation Tool and started an upgrade manually (on my desktop PC). Even though I already had the W10 install folder it seemed to download everything again but apart from that everything proceeded normally.

NOTE that I was unable to ACTIVATE my W10 copy in the beginning! I also couldn't download apps from the Store. However I have NOW (a few hours later) successfully activated my copy.

It could also be worth mentioning that even though I chose "Upgrade" (from 8.1 (and not a clean install)) I had to MANUALLY update my Nvidia GFX driver AND reinstall my Norton Antivirus.

(I am also not sure if my ability to activate was a coincidence or simply following the scheduled rollout cycle. I will therefor NOT force any updates to my other PC (Surface Pro 2) ...I will try to be patient and wait for the prompt.)

GLHF Best wishes from Sweden
    oneiros likes this.
    07-29-2015 09:27 PM
    How do you bring up the command prompt I used earlier today and now I can't remember how to bring it up again.
    07-29-2015 10:04 PM
    my SP3 updated last night on schedule, but my ASUS has not, and it's 8pm on the 29th.

Update tried twice and I got "Upgrade to Windows 10 Pro Failed to install" both times a little while ago.

error code 80240020

Now I tried "wuauclt.exe /updatenow" without deleting the C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download folder first

and the curious thing is the update failed immediately, the update process did not even start.
    07-29-2015 10:14 PM
    swipe from the right, search for the command prompt, right click and run as admin.
    07-29-2015 10:33 PM
    Can't we just download the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool, found on microsoft[dot]com/en-us/software-download/windows10? It seems to work for me. (As a new WindowsCentral forum user, I can't post links. Hence my use of " [dot] " in the microsoft URL above.
    Thanks for the tip...it's finally downloading for me. Also the Windows Icon finally showed up on my Laptop.
    07-29-2015 11:00 PM
    My HP8560w can't process the update. Keep telling error code 80240020 even though I've tried delete all files and folders in C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download folder then run: wuauclt.exe/updatenow.

I tried the Update tool on Microsoft site too, it said something went wrong and delete all file in $Windows.~BT folder.

Tried for about 20 times and keep failed. Now I'm give up. Said
    07-29-2015 11:00 PM
    Try this
    1. Go into "C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download" and delete everything in that folder.
    2. Now, run the command prompt as an administrator. Type in "wuauclt.exe/updatenow".
    3. Go to your Control Panel > Windows Update and your Windows 10 should start re-downloading from scratch, hopefully without flaws this time.
    anon(5326758) likes this.
    07-29-2015 11:32 PM
    my downloading is stuck at 75% for past 2 hours..
    my net has been disconnected at that time. it automatically reconnected. but since then its at 75%.
    But downloading is going on.
    is it downloading from first again.
    have a very bad connection of 512kbps. Dead slow.
    07-30-2015 12:50 AM
    hmmm My 'reserve windows 10' icon disappeared after the last windows update! :( - no way could I get the download to start. So, the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool as mentioned above seems to be working a treat - downloading as I type :)

*quick update... its stuck at 1% grrrrrrrrrr
    *second update... its not stuck, just slow

Happy!
    07-30-2015 01:23 AM
    First day of launch was a failure for many; I won't be trying again for a day or two; this was quite pathetic, the Windows Upgrade notifier, Windows Updates, the whole shebang was a failure.

Supposedly more people had problems then those who installed it successfully.
    mccririck likes this.
    07-30-2015 01:24 AM
    Josh, did it appear that it installed as an upgrade or as a fresh install when you followed this method? It's funny because I posted this method to several boards, but haven't tried it myself. My fear is that it will install as a fresh install and not an upgrade, which I sincerely want to avoid.
    Both of mine were upgrades, no user data lost.....http://forums.windowscentral.com/e?l...token=fnTJwG4i
    07-30-2015 01:32 AM
    i have pre installed Windows 8.1 HP Laptop.
    nd update via windows update is continously failing for some time.
    so if i download the Windows 10 via ISO or media tool will my windows copy get activated.
    help needed.
    07-30-2015 01:34 AM
    Guys as Microsoft stated before the release not all systems would have been able to update from day one...if you look at all the mess forcing update practices are doing the only clear pattern here is: don't do it and wait that Microsoft push the update for you. As far as we understand the (few) successful stories here could be simply about people trying too early to upgrade and getting Windows 10 to work by force up date just because while wasting time trying time went by..and the update arrived anyway for them as it was scheduled :)
    Honestly..what is more frustrating messing around for hours without even understandif what you are doing, or just keep doing your stuff on Windows like before until the system upgrade arrive to everybody?
    If there are some real issues in the upgrade release as soon as they become consistent Microsoft will fix them. It's a brand new OS and a brand new upgrading system...
    Llordy and iwasdaman like this.
    07-30-2015 01:57 AM
    Guys as Microsoft stated before the release not all systems would have been able to update from day one...if you look at all the mess forcing update practices are doing the only clear pattern here is: don't do it and wait that Microsoft push the update for you. As far as we understand the (few) successful stories here could be simply about people trying too early to upgrade and getting Windows 10 to work by force up date just because while wasting time trying time went by..and the update arrived anyway for them as it was scheduled :)
    Honestly..what is more frustrating messing around for hours without even understandif what you are doing, or just keep doing your stuff on Windows like before until the system upgrade arrive to everybody?
    If there are some real issues in the upgrade release as soon as they become consistent Microsoft will fix them. It's a brand new OS and a brand new upgrading system...
    Well said. Many wanted to force the update; or were fortunate that the upgrade was pushed to them, what forcing causes who knows, as was said above, wait for Ms to push the update to you. If they go by regions, the US was as it seems the first, or so it seems.
    Llordy likes this.
    07-30-2015 02:02 AM
    Well, I first tried to force the update..did not work...then tried to use the download tool..did not work either..again tried to force the update..and guess what..it WORKED:)
    just made sure that before each force check..I deleted all contents from SoftwareDistribution/Download folder...
    07-30-2015 03:05 AM
    capture.png
    reserved but nothing till now!
    and the upgrade icon in the task bar is gone
    07-30-2015 03:37 AM
    Tried this trick, but not working.

Then I tried Windows Media Creation Tool. Problem is, after it ends the download, the window disappear and I can't install!
    07-30-2015 03:40 AM
    Where you get that log file dude
    07-30-2015 04:08 AM
    Tried this trick, but not working.

Then I tried Windows Media Creation Tool. Problem is, after it ends the download, the window disappear and I can't install!

I found the solution:

After download, go to C:\$Windows.~WS\Sources\Windows\sources and run Setupprep.exe
    07-30-2015 04:12 AM
    It didn't activate until 10 minutes ago so 10 hours later, got to admit I was wondering of I had made a mistake.
    07-30-2015 04:58 AM
207 ... 34567 ...