How to check and force a Windows 10 upgrade

Jakub JS

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
I have Windows 10 Insiders Preview Build 10240 and I can't see the update.. :(
I tried to force it, but Windows Update don't find anything...

etad putta

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
FYI to anybody still having issues. I did the install on two laptops and the quickest route was the manual install from the Microsoft download using there tool. No bootable usb or disk just using there media creation tool straight from the Microsoft website and it was double the speed as the force install process. I had a force install fail after a 15 min process even after deleting the files needed for the force install to work

I can't post the link because I don't have enough posts here but "Microsoft download Windows 10" in google and its the first link

FYI the manual install is fast, simple no extra steps. It just does its thing. A the actual downloaded file was very small. You don't actually download the iso. All the downloading is done when you run the tool. It finds your product key and is fully activated. I wished I would have done it at 1am instead of 5 hours of crap reading message boards and trying this or trying that.

He is correct, this method worked perfect for me on my desktop and the wife's laptop. Easy peasy, no problems.

Signia70

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
I just downloaded the ISO file(from MSDN) and used that to do an in-place upgrade on my SP3. Worked great!!! I imagine you can do the same thing with the public ISO if you dont want to wait.

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I just downloaded the ISO file(from MSDN) and used that to do an in-place upgrade on my SP3. Worked great!!! I imagine you can do the same thing with the public ISO if you dont want to wait.
Any links to a public ISO? The Media Creation Tool just exits without creating the ISO when I try it, so I need an actual direct ISO file download.

megha jehangi

Jul 29, 2015
Visit site
i am trying to open the media creation tool but i keep getting this error , even after restarting this errors pops up , can anyone tell me the process so i can manually stop media creation tool because it refuses to start
error image uploaded as attachment

Attachments

• j.jpg
    j.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 6

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Look in Update history. It might already have tried to install it and failed. That's how it was on my laptop at least.

ReprobusR

Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
Third attempt Windows 10 installation and fail; I wonder how much data I've wasted. This is bullcrap; truly is. I contact Microsoft support and there is only one answer I can give everyone who has failed installation; you have to wait a week, there are too many inconsistencies.

CaptainLumia

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site
FYI to anybody still having issues. I did the install on two laptops and the quickest route was the manual install from the Microsoft download using there tool. No bootable usb or disk just using there media creation tool straight from the Microsoft website and it was double the speed as the force install process. I had a force install fail after a 15 min process even after deleting the files needed for the force install to work

I can't post the link because I don't have enough posts here but "Microsoft download Windows 10" in google and its the first link

FYI the manual install is fast, simple no extra steps. It just does its thing. A the actual downloaded file was very small. You don't actually download the iso. All the downloading is done when you run the tool. It finds your product key and is fully activated. I wished I would have done it at 1am instead of 5 hours of crap reading message boards and trying this or trying that.

Josh, did it appear that it installed as an upgrade or as a fresh install when you followed this method? It's funny because I posted this method to several boards, but haven't tried it myself. My fear is that it will install as a fresh install and not an upgrade, which I sincerely want to avoid.

Travis Butler1

Jul 29, 2015
Visit site
All Insider's upgrading into build 10240 here's a product key

How to activate Windows 10 build 10240

Open an elevated command prompt.
Type the following command and hit the Enter key:

slmgr /ipk W269N-WFGWX-YVC9B-4J6C9-T83GX

Wait for the message box popup that the key is installed.
Now type the following command and press Enter

slmgr /skms kms.xspace.in

Again, wait for the message box.
Finally, enter the following command:

slmgr /ato

After you hit the Enter key, Windows 10 build 10240 will become activated.

You are done.

Travis Butler1

Jul 29, 2015
Visit site
How to activate Windows 10 build 10240

Open an elevated command prompt.
Type the following command and hit the Enter key:

slmgr /ipk W269N-WFGWX-YVC9B-4J6C9-T83GX

Wait for the message box popup that the key is installed.
Now type the following command and press Enter

slmgr /skms kms.xspace.in

Again, wait for the message box.
Finally, enter the following command:

slmgr /ato

After you hit the Enter key, Windows 10 build 10240 will become activated.

You are done.

Jason Villeda

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
So I did the update tool and just upgraded instead of doing it through USB. Everything installed fine, but when going through settings it wouldn't let me activate the copy and it wouldn't let me download apps from the store. I tried the commands above^ and it activated, but I'm not sure if that's a genuine license. It still didn't let me download apps. I ended up just reverting back to 8.1. Weird thing is that I had asked for a fresh install but when I reverted back to 8.1 all ofmy stuff was still there.

Now I'm backon 8.1 and still no update, still now downloading, nothing. I think trying to force it ****ed up my chances of getting the update because before I did anything the folder was already over 6 GB...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa