How to check and force a Windows 10 upgrade

brokenwindows

Jul 30, 2015
Visit site
Can't we just download the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool, found on microsoft[dot]com/en-us/software-download/windows10? It seems to work for me. (As a new WindowsCentral forum user, I can't post links. Hence my use of " [dot] " in the microsoft URL above.

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
Finally sorted on all devices, I let the media creation tool do the download and update on my desktop and it installed without any issues. Will have a bit more time to play with it in the morning.

toffvs

Aug 29, 2014
Visit site
I tried through Windows Update but without any luck. Checking update history revealed numerous failed automatic upgrade attempts. I downloaded the Media Creation Tool and started an upgrade manually (on my desktop PC). Even though I already had the W10 install folder it seemed to download everything again but apart from that everything proceeded normally.

NOTE that I was unable to ACTIVATE my W10 copy in the beginning! I also couldn't download apps from the Store. However I have NOW (a few hours later) successfully activated my copy.

It could also be worth mentioning that even though I chose "Upgrade" (from 8.1 (and not a clean install)) I had to MANUALLY update my Nvidia GFX driver AND reinstall my Norton Antivirus.

(I am also not sure if my ability to activate was a coincidence or simply following the scheduled rollout cycle. I will therefor NOT force any updates to my other PC (Surface Pro 2) ...I will try to be patient and wait for the prompt.)

GLHF :smile: Best wishes from Sweden

iwasdaman

Jul 29, 2015
Visit site
my SP3 updated last night on schedule, but my ASUS has not, and it's 8pm on the 29th.

Update tried twice and I got "Upgrade to Windows 10 Pro Failed to install" both times a little while ago.

error code 80240020

Now I tried "wuauclt.exe /updatenow" without deleting the C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download folder first

and the curious thing is the update failed immediately, the update process did not even start.

Jeff Merritt1

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Can't we just download the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool, found on microsoft[dot]com/en-us/software-download/windows10? It seems to work for me. (As a new WindowsCentral forum user, I can't post links. Hence my use of " [dot] " in the microsoft URL above.

Thanks for the tip...it's finally downloading for me. Also the Windows Icon finally showed up on my Laptop.

I_newbie

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
My HP8560w can't process the update. Keep telling error code 80240020 even though I've tried delete all files and folders in C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download folder then run: wuauclt.exe/updatenow.

I tried the Update tool on Microsoft site too, it said something went wrong and delete all file in $Windows.~BT folder.

Tried for about 20 times and keep failed. Now I'm give up. Said

Prosenjit Roy

Jul 30, 2015
Visit site
Try this
1. Go into "C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download" and delete everything in that folder.
2. Now, run the command prompt as an administrator. Type in "wuauclt.exe/updatenow".
3. Go to your Control Panel > Windows Update and your Windows 10 should start re-downloading from scratch, hopefully without flaws this time.

JithinPrasad

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
my downloading is stuck at 75% for past 2 hours..
my net has been disconnected at that time. it automatically reconnected. but since then its at 75%.
But downloading is going on.
is it downloading from first again.
have a very bad connection of 512kbps. Dead slow.

johnny4x

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
hmmm My 'reserve windows 10' icon disappeared after the last windows update! :( - no way could I get the download to start. So, the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool as mentioned above seems to be working a treat - downloading as I type :)

*quick update... its stuck at 1% grrrrrrrrrr
*second update... its not stuck, just slow

Happy!

ReprobusR

Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
First day of launch was a failure for many; I won't be trying again for a day or two; this was quite pathetic, the Windows Upgrade notifier, Windows Updates, the whole shebang was a failure.

Supposedly more people had problems then those who installed it successfully.

etad putta

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site

JithinPrasad

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
i have pre installed Windows 8.1 HP Laptop.
nd update via windows update is continously failing for some time.
so if i download the Windows 10 via ISO or media tool will my windows copy get activated.
help needed.

oneiros

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
Guys as Microsoft stated before the release not all systems would have been able to update from day one...if you look at all the mess forcing update practices are doing the only clear pattern here is: don't do it and wait that Microsoft push the update for you. As far as we understand the (few) successful stories here could be simply about people trying too early to upgrade and getting Windows 10 to work by force up date just because while wasting time trying time went by..and the update arrived anyway for them as it was scheduled :)
Honestly..what is more frustrating messing around for hours without even understandif what you are doing, or just keep doing your stuff on Windows like before until the system upgrade arrive to everybody?
If there are some real issues in the upgrade release as soon as they become consistent Microsoft will fix them. It's a brand new OS and a brand new upgrading system...

ReprobusR

Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
Guys as Microsoft stated before the release not all systems would have been able to update from day one...if you look at all the mess forcing update practices are doing the only clear pattern here is: don't do it and wait that Microsoft push the update for you. As far as we understand the (few) successful stories here could be simply about people trying too early to upgrade and getting Windows 10 to work by force up date just because while wasting time trying time went by..and the update arrived anyway for them as it was scheduled :)
Honestly..what is more frustrating messing around for hours without even understandif what you are doing, or just keep doing your stuff on Windows like before until the system upgrade arrive to everybody?
If there are some real issues in the upgrade release as soon as they become consistent Microsoft will fix them. It's a brand new OS and a brand new upgrading system...

Well said. Many wanted to force the update; or were fortunate that the upgrade was pushed to them, what forcing causes who knows, as was said above, wait for Ms to push the update to you. If they go by regions, the US was as it seems the first, or so it seems.

Ashish Gupta888

Retired Ambassador
Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
Well, I first tried to force the update..did not work...then tried to use the download tool..did not work either..again tried to force the update..and guess what..it WORKED:)
just made sure that before each force check..I deleted all contents from SoftwareDistribution/Download folder...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos