08-15-2015 10:29 AM
207 ... 45678 ...
tools
    I tried the wuaucllt.exe /updatenow command and all it did was remove the "reserve windows" icon from my taskbar so now I'm not even sure the update will still download.
    07-30-2015 05:11 AM
    i was trying to follow that file but cant get deeper than c>windows . can be give more details please? thank you
    07-30-2015 05:25 AM
    I tried the wuaucllt.exe /updatenow command and all it did was remove the "reserve windows" icon from my taskbar so now I'm not even sure the update will still download.
    same happened with me!
    but I checked the windows update in control panel it shows it's reserved Attachment 109608
    07-30-2015 07:24 AM
    How do you bring up the command prompt I used earlier today and now I can't remember how to bring it up again.
    In start menu programs>accessories>command prompt>run as administrator

Or windows+R and type cmd
    07-30-2015 08:34 AM
    I read the post yesterday, I opened a command window as administrator, entered the command to trigger the
    download, but only receive Defender updates. Tried the command today to trigger the download, but still only
    received Defender updates. I noticed by going to the folder $Windows.^BT and clicking setup, it tries to load
    Windows but comes up with an error 0x80070002, can't find boot.wim
    07-30-2015 09:13 AM
    I had success getting it to download and prepare to install but then I got an error message that the install had failed. My computer is fully compatible so I don't know what happened. Now I can't get it to work again. I guess Big Brother foiled my plan. If I had known that reserving a copy was not going to get me the OS on the 29th I would have done something different. Auspicious start.
    07-30-2015 09:25 AM
    I had success getting it to download and prepare to install but then I got an error message that the install had failed. My computer is fully compatible so I don't know what happened. Now I can't get it to work again. I guess Big Brother foiled my plan. If I had known that reserving a copy was not going to get me the OS on the 29th I would have done something different. Auspicious start.
    In my case, it happened due to inconsistent download and was able to get rid of this issue after I removed all contents from
    C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download folder. Once done, opened command prompt as administrator and run following command:

wuaucllt.exe /updatenow

This initiated the update and successfully completed W10 installation.

Few things to note: Make sure to set the update settings as Automatically download and install the updates before hitting the command. Also, keep the Windows Update page open while you are set to hit the command.
    07-30-2015 09:32 AM
    The Only Thing I'm Getting So far for my desk computer is Getting Setup Files, nothing else...
    07-30-2015 09:59 AM
    Windows Update Installation Failure 80240020 - Microsoft Community

Official Microsoft solution:
    Locate the registry key: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\OSUpgrade]

It should exist, but if not, create it.
    Create a new DWORD (32-bit) Value with Name = "AllowOSUpgrade” (without the quotes), and set the Value = 0x00000001.

Once the registry key is modified, close and reopen the desktop Control Panel, go to Windows Update and check for updates. You should now be able to click the Get Started button to upgrade to Windows 10. Note: Windows 8.1 users must go to the desktop Control Panel, and not the modern Windows Update UI.
    Turns out there was nothing wrong for many (most?) of us, Microsoft just decided to give us a really ****ty error message. We were just lower on the install priority list.
    Witness likes this.
    07-30-2015 10:39 AM

Turns out there was nothing wrong for many (most?) of us, Microsoft just decided to give us a really ****ty error message. We were just lower on the install priority list.
    This is really helpful, thank you so much.
    07-30-2015 11:04 AM
    Apparently I will be able to upgrade in the coming days or weeks....
    07-30-2015 11:53 AM
    I tried the last suggestion and STILL get windows 10 FAILED.
    07-30-2015 12:05 PM
    Thank you so much, I was searching for a solution since launch, tried reinstalling updates, running the batch file, even a clean install. This did it!
    07-30-2015 12:19 PM
    Same here. All in all, pretty disappointing :-(
    07-30-2015 12:47 PM
    You need to start by revealing "Hidden Folders" in your C drive. Instructions are here:

How to view hidden files and folders in Windows 8.1

Be SURE to re-hide them afterwards. Hiding them is a powerful protection against accidental corruption of your Windows OS.

After that look for more info here on the Forums.
    07-30-2015 12:57 PM

Locate the registry key: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\OSUpgrade]

It should exist, but if not, create it.
    Create a new DWORD (32-bit) Value with Name = "AllowOSUpgrade” (without the quotes), and set the Value = 0x00000001.

Once the registry key is modified, close and reopen the desktop Control Panel, go to Windows Update and check for updates. You should now be able to click the Get Started button to upgrade to Windows 10. Note: Windows 8.1 users must go to the desktop Control Panel, and not the modern Windows Update UI.

This worked. Thank you!

​Hey guys, try this!
    MikeSo, Jakub JS and instantcoffe like this.
    07-30-2015 01:32 PM
    What's bugging me is mine is showing as 'Reserved...be patient!!! blah blah' yet my daughter's PC has already downloaded it and it's sat there waiting for installation.
    07-30-2015 01:33 PM
    So I have a Toshiba Laptop from Work (was Win 8.1) that successfully upgraded to Windows 10 after I installed all pending updates (including optional updates).

I have an HP Desktop at home with Win 8.1 that has a reservation in for Win10, but the notification reads: "We're rolling out the free upgrade in waves and we'll let you know when it's ready for you."

Lastly, I have an HP Desktop at work running Win7 Service Pack 1, but the WinUpdate to get the reserve icon failed back on July 16th. I could not get it to re-install, so I used System Restore to go back in time to July 15th. I performed the Windows Update, and the KB3035583 was successfully installed. However, no reserve icon ever showed up.

I tried the force methods recommended here and elsewhere. No dice.

I'm wondering if this machine at work just wasn't meant to be upgraded. Yes, it's geniune Win7 Home Premium.
    07-30-2015 02:42 PM
    Can you use this to create a flash drive or DVD iso and do a fresh install?

http://forums.windowscentral.com/e?l...token=haCLqEJp
    07-30-2015 02:51 PM
    Can you use this to create a flash drive or DVD iso and do a fresh install?

http://forums.windowscentral.com/e?l...token=aIDTqQlJ

Cannot. It would wipe everything out as a fresh install instead of an upgrade.
    07-30-2015 03:16 PM
    Cannot. It would wipe everything out as a fresh install instead of an upgrade.
    ok, but it will get you Windows 10 right away. I dont mind wiping everything.
    07-30-2015 03:19 PM
    ok, but it will get you Windows 10 right away. I dont mind wiping everything.
    ​Can't do that on a work computer.
    07-30-2015 03:36 PM
    ​Can't do that on a work computer.
    True!
    07-30-2015 03:39 PM
    There's an easier way... go to the windows 10 ISO creation page, downloaded the media creation tool and it gives you an option to install windows 10 NOW or create an ISO. Click install NOW and you are done.
    07-30-2015 04:20 PM
    There's an easier way... go to the windows 10 ISO creation page, downloaded the media creation tool and it gives you an option to install windows 10 NOW or create an ISO. Click install NOW and you are done.
    Who is that directed towards?
    07-30-2015 04:52 PM
207 ... 45678 ...