How to check and force a Windows 10 upgrade

JithinPrasad

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
Getting this error in windows update log.
But the background activity checks for the update every 10min.
every time getting this error code.
WARNING: Failed to get Wu Exemption info from NLM, assuming not exempt, error = 0x80070490
2015-07-29 09:48:44:777 1040 a70 AU WARNING: Failed to change download properties of call, error = 0x80070057
2015-07-29 09:48:44:777 1040 a70 AU WARNING: Failed to change download properties of call, error = 0x80070057
2015-07-29 09:48:44:777 1040 a70 AU Adding timer:

Windows BT folder is 140mb & a folder in software distribution has 2.63gb.
Dont know the update is being downloaded or not

Nathaniel Keith

Jul 29, 2015
Visit site
everybody will have a difference size update most the time because microsoft already tried starting the file download process on your system drive.. if you try the command line in the run box -- wuauclt.exe /updatenow then you have to make sure youve installed all the windows updates before it will show up .

WPhoner

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
the $Windows.~BT folder on my sys says it is 6.19G.. compressed 4.7G (in properties) it was dloaded today at 3:19pm..

I am an insider, and bought an I7 laptop last Friday and was crushed when I got home and couldn't install 10240 because they has closed the insider program.
I haven't gotten the prompt yet but I'm going to try launching the install now.

windows insider, win8.1
Toronto, Canada

Jikangire

Mar 22, 2014
Visit site
My C:\$Windows.~BT folder on my desktop PC is 5.99 GB in size, (4.47 GB Size on disk), and holding. The download appears to be done, however even though it is 1:10AM EST, the updater refuses to let me start the install process. On my Surface Pro 3, however, the update was immediately ready to start right after midnight. I've tried the commands others have recommended to start the install process on my desktop however it doesn't seem to do anything. I understand that Microsoft is doing a rollout for the update, however I would think this rollout has something to do with the download itself, not the actual install process. I could be wrong though.

vodda

Jun 29, 2015
Visit site
It is interesting that the Insider PC's are getting an update - I do t know if it is a updated from 10240 or if it is simply a final test of the upgrade - though that seems odd to me.

I am an insider and have 10240 installed, but there are no fresh downloads from me, should I get some?

Rafael Yousuf

Oct 19, 2013
Visit site
To check whether your download is coming, look for a folder called:
$WINDOWS.~BT
In the root of your C:\

If its not there, check there are folders dated with todays date, here:
C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download
Files start here, before being unpacked into the location above.

If those folders don't exist, type this at the command line:
wuauclt.exe /updatenow
(This worked for me, and my download has started)

Hope that helps. If you have to hit Windows Update with a hammer, try this:
1.Uninstalled the KB2976978
(In an elevated cmd prompt)
1.net stop wuauserv
2.rd /s /q C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution
3.net start wuauserv

I had the folder, but when i ran this command it downloaded addition 114MB. I think you can use this command to speed up the process as well.

igorhk

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
Windows 10 media creation tool is located here
www Microsoft com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Does it really work? I selected the Upgrade option and it is downloading now but it seems all a bit too simple, why bother with the command prompt then?

oneiros

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
Same here, I didn't forced the update download since the folder was yet there. The thing is that in the Windows Update chronology I keep seeing the "update to Windows 10" one failing due to error 80240020.
Trying to manually launch the update.exe in the folder I get your same error about boot.wim missing...

Update:
I've found the solution, the boot.wim error is due to corrupted download installation image...and since unfortunately Windows seem not able to verify the integrity by itself you have to force the redownload the whole update package.
Not a big deal just go into "C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download" and delete everything in that folder. Then run the command prompt as an administrator typing in "wuauclt.exe /updatenow".
Then check in Control Panel > Windows Update if your Windows 10 start re-downloading.
It actually gave me some error in Windows Update the first time I tried the command, the second dime worked ;)
I'm 82% downloading it right now, let's hope this time everything will work!

Last edited:

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
Update:
I've found the solution, the boot.wim error is due to corrupted download installation image...and since unfortunately Windows seem not able to verify the integrity by itself you have to force the redownload the whole update package.
Not a big deal just go into "C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download" and delete everything in that folder. Then run the command prompt as an administrator typing in "wuauclt.exe /updatenow".
Then check in Control Panel > Windows Update if your Windows 10 start re-downloading.
It actually gave me some error in Windows Update the first time I tried the command, the second dime worked ;)
I'm 82% downloading it right now, let's hope this time everything will work!

I was getting a bit peeved, Surface Pro 3 all done, wife's laptop and Surface Pro all done, my desktop, the one machine I am desperate to see 10 on was stuck on failed updates with boot.wim error, I had tried the "wuauclt.exe/updatenow" a few times but it only worked once I cleared the folder mentioned by you.

Currently installing now.

Update on my update, no still going round in circles, got an awful lot of "Upgrade to Windows 10 Pro" with the word failed following it.

Would like to see 10 on the desktop today....

Further update on my update:

Now doing an 8G download at very high speed. Which is lucky as I have to go to work in two hours.

Last edited:

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
Getting really upset now, 8G download, ages "Getting ready" then it stops and says "Check your PC" so I click on Check now and it goes back to no updates are available.

On the upgrade to Windows app it says I am good to go.

It is an HP 500-141 6g and plenty of other specs so shouldn't be a problem, running 8.1 Pro with media center (All kosher).

Anyone got any ideas.

Rafael Yousuf

Oct 19, 2013
Visit site
This is what i am getting after cleaning the SoftwareDistribution folder and forcing the WindowsUpdate service to download it again:Win10_2.PNG

Any help appreciated.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett