How to check and force a Windows 10 upgrade

chucknorris1337

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
My installation failed as well. I did the steps, my brother's PC worked like a charm, but my laptop fails. It downloads, preparing to install => failed. I redid the steps like 3 times, redownloaded and all, still fail.

nikolai131

Jul 29, 2015
Visit site
This update from win8.1 to win10 is driving me crazy... So I forced the installation, it downloaded, it started installing and then I got to the point where a black screen with circle with % counter appeared and saying "Your system may restart a few times while installation" then it restarted and I am back to win8.1 >.< *sigh*

Any suggestions what to do or what might be causing the problem?

jschipmann

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
me too. 8 times failed since 28/7

Yep, all my systems are failing lol

Custom Desktop / gaming rig w/ Rampage V extreme, 5930k @ 4.4GHz and Titan X
Laptop Asus ROG G751JT
Surface Pro 3
custom HTPC

tried the deletion of files as suggested earlier and forced the download again on each machine and none work. The only one that actually seemed to do anything was the laptop which said it was installing, said a reboot was required and upon reboot... TAAADAAAAA back to windows 8.1 lol

Tempest790

Oct 3, 2004
Visit site
If you download the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool, it also has an option to upgrade straight from the tool. I stopped the Windows Update upgrade (didn't seem to be doing anything), and ran the tool. It's processing right now. You don't need to create a media disc or USB flash drive.

Install options:
Upgrade (keep files and settings)
Upgrade (keep files only)
Clean Install

Will report back how this finishes up.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Update...
Crapped out on me with an error code on the first reboot. Way to go Microsoft. Will try to resume through the Windows Update instead. Oh well.

Last edited:

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I get the same errors you guys get. I've "deleted and forced manual install" twice and it shows it's downloading in WU, only to fail installation.

I tried the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool and selected to install it and got this helpful error message:
win10installerror.png
LOL

I will try ISO I guess. Pretty frustrating experience so far.

gaknigge

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
I used the download tool and then installed from a flash drive from Windows 8.1 desktop so the license is transferred to Windows 10. So far so good.

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I tried selecting a USB drive instead of the PC in the Media Creation Tool, and got the same useless message as above.
I guess I'll just leave it and hope Windows Update fixes itself somehow.

Ashish Gupta888

Retired Ambassador
Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
I used the download tool and then installed from a flash drive from Windows 8.1 desktop so the license is transferred to Windows 10. So far so good.

let us know if that successfully helps you to install w10. I would like to give it a try once you confirm. Btw, what's the link for download tool?

Tempest790

Oct 3, 2004
Visit site
Restarted it again and it finally took. Typing this in Windows 10 right now (but not Edge). Edge won't let me post a reply. Any compatibility settings on Edge?

Can't wait to really learn Windows 10 now.

Ashish Gupta888

Retired Ambassador
Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
Restarted it again and it finally took. Typing this in Windows 10 right now (but not Edge). Edge won't let me post a reply. Any compatibility settings on Edge?

Can't wait to really learn Windows 10 now.

So, you went through usual route of windows update and installed it?
or
did you use download tool for W10 and installed it using bootable flash drive?

Any comments/suggestions you want to share so that I can also successfully install it?

Thanks!

wiederman

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
You can also download the Windows 10 Update Tool from Microsoft themselves and not have to download the ISO to burn to DVD. You can actually upgrade straight through that.

Jason Villeda

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
I tried this and it deleted my $WINDOWS.~BT folder, which was already at 6 GB.... Now I have no $WINDOWS.~BT folder and it isn't downloading anything. Great.

Tempest790

Oct 3, 2004
Visit site
I installed it through the Windows Update by resuming it.

It errored out the first time after the download. Then it errored out the second time after trying to install. Third time was the charm, and it successfully re-started in the upgrade mode. Rebooted a couple of times, and Windows 10.

All I can say is, if you keep getting errors, is to keep trying to resume and see if it makes it further along. It worked for me in that case. Definitely not a smooth process considering all the articles I read to the contrary.

I still have a Lenovo tablet, HP Laptop, and my home custom desktop to upgrade. I hope they go a little more smoothly than this first one.

I showed my co-workers the "Hey Cortana", and they thought that was awesome!

ReprobusR

Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
This update is pathetic.

2.6 gigs downloaded; followed by failed installation, followed by I can't run the setup file in the Windows.~BT folder as I get an error. I'm suppose to waste another 2.6 gigs, $%#$% hell.

MAIL OUT DVD MICROSOFT
(I'll pay you the shipping)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ayven