How to check and force a Windows 10 upgrade

CapoFantasma97

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
Tried this trick, but not working.

Then I tried Windows Media Creation Tool. Problem is, after it ends the download, the window disappear and I can't install!

anon(5383410)

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I tried the wuaucllt.exe /updatenow command and all it did was remove the "reserve windows" icon from my taskbar so now I'm not even sure the update will still download.

sheldon cohn

May 15, 2015
Visit site
I read the post yesterday, I opened a command window as administrator, entered the command to trigger the
download, but only receive Defender updates. Tried the command today to trigger the download, but still only
received Defender updates. I noticed by going to the folder $Windows.^BT and clicking setup, it tries to load
Windows but comes up with an error 0x80070002, can't find boot.wim

MTTF

Jul 30, 2015
Visit site
I had success getting it to download and prepare to install but then I got an error message that the install had failed. My computer is fully compatible so I don't know what happened. Now I can't get it to work again. I guess Big Brother foiled my plan. If I had known that reserving a copy was not going to get me the OS on the 29th I would have done something different. Auspicious start.

Ashish Gupta888

Retired Ambassador
Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
I had success getting it to download and prepare to install but then I got an error message that the install had failed. My computer is fully compatible so I don't know what happened. Now I can't get it to work again. I guess Big Brother foiled my plan. If I had known that reserving a copy was not going to get me the OS on the 29th I would have done something different. Auspicious start.

In my case, it happened due to inconsistent download and was able to get rid of this issue after I removed all contents from
C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download folder. Once done, opened command prompt as administrator and run following command:

wuaucllt.exe /updatenow

This initiated the update and successfully completed W10 installation.

Few things to note: Make sure to set the update settings as Automatically download and install the updates before hitting the command. Also, keep the Windows Update page open while you are set to hit the command.

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Windows Update Installation Failure 80240020 - Microsoft Community

Official Microsoft solution:
Locate the registry key: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\OSUpgrade]

It should exist, but if not, create it.
Create a new DWORD (32-bit) Value with Name = "AllowOSUpgrade” (without the quotes), and set the Value = 0x00000001.

Once the registry key is modified, close and reopen the desktop Control Panel, go to Windows Update and check for updates. You should now be able to click the Get Started button to upgrade to Windows 10. Note: Windows 8.1 users must go to the desktop Control Panel, and not the modern Windows Update UI.

Turns out there was nothing wrong for many (most?) of us, Microsoft just decided to give us a really ****ty error message. We were just lower on the install priority list.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett