How to check and force a Windows 10 upgrade

Witness

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Windows Update Installation Failure 80240020 - Microsoft Community

Official Microsoft solution:
Locate the registry key: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\OSUpgrade]

It should exist, but if not, create it.
Create a new DWORD (32-bit) Value with Name = "AllowOSUpgrade” (without the quotes), and set the Value = 0x00000001.

Once the registry key is modified, close and reopen the desktop Control Panel, go to Windows Update and check for updates. You should now be able to click the Get Started button to upgrade to Windows 10. Note: Windows 8.1 users must go to the desktop Control Panel, and not the modern Windows Update UI.

Turns out there was nothing wrong for many (most?) of us, Microsoft just decided to give us a really ****ty error message. We were just lower on the install priority list.

This worked. Thank you!

​Hey guys, try this!

Vertego

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
What's bugging me is mine is showing as 'Reserved...be patient!!! blah blah' yet my daughter's PC has already downloaded it and it's sat there waiting for installation.

SouthpawJosh

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
So I have a Toshiba Laptop from Work (was Win 8.1) that successfully upgraded to Windows 10 after I installed all pending updates (including optional updates).

I have an HP Desktop at home with Win 8.1 that has a reservation in for Win10, but the notification reads: "We're rolling out the free upgrade in waves and we'll let you know when it's ready for you."

Lastly, I have an HP Desktop at work running Win7 Service Pack 1, but the WinUpdate to get the reserve icon failed back on July 16th. I could not get it to re-install, so I used System Restore to go back in time to July 15th. I performed the Windows Update, and the KB3035583 was successfully installed. However, no reserve icon ever showed up.

I tried the force methods recommended here and elsewhere. No dice.

I'm wondering if this machine at work just wasn't meant to be upgraded. Yes, it's geniune Win7 Home Premium.

wcid

Jul 30, 2015
Visit site
There's an easier way... go to the windows 10 ISO creation page, downloaded the media creation tool and it gives you an option to install windows 10 NOW or create an ISO. Click install NOW and you are done.

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
There's an easier way... go to the windows 10 ISO creation page, downloaded the media creation tool and it gives you an option to install windows 10 NOW or create an ISO. Click install NOW and you are done.
Who is that directed towards?

jasqid

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
out of all the tricks to get it going, the one that worked on all my pcs was the regedit adding the dword "AllowOSUpgrade"

holzlondon

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
OK, I've tried to force the upgrade by using the command prompt solution but it doesn?t work. Maybe the update in Germany isn't released yet.

So I tried the solution through the media creation website to upgrade directly. Everything seems to work until I get to the point to choose if I'd like to keep settings files etc. or just personal files, or a totally clean install.

I just want to update right now, but this option is greyed out, apparently because I'm trying to upgrade in a different language than originally installed.

Upgrade.jpg

I've got a Dell XPS 12 that is about 2 years old, purchased in Germany. I set Windows up to run in English (UK) when I first set it up.

I started the upgrade through the USA, UK and Gemany media creation websites, the Upgrade starts, always in English and in all 3 cases I have received the same message.

Does anyone think I should change the Windows Language back to German, and then try the upgrade from the German site again? This seems to be the only option left other than a clean install...

EDIT: Switched display language to German in Windows, restarted, started the update again from the German page. At some point during the download and preparation, the application language switched to English again, and I get the same message. No idea what to do...

Any ideas?

Last edited:

emperor_skull

Oct 25, 2013
Visit site

When you click the install now option does it delete any personal files ?

Ashish Gupta888

Retired Ambassador
Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
How did it work out for you? I am stuck in the same position as yours, and no install activity yet.

1. Delete everything from C:/Windos/SoftwareDistribution/Downloads folder.

2. Set Windows Update setting to "Automatically download and Install Updates"and go back to Check for Updates page and keep it open.

3. Run command prompt as administrator and hit the command to automatically check for updates(See previous posts for the command).

Once hit, you should see downloading W10 in updates. It should be downloaded and installed w/o any issues.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb