How to check and force a Windows 10 upgrade

jsooney

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site
I had some failed upgrade attempts showing in my windowsupdate.log with the 80240020 error, but the registry edit worked and I'm up and running on 10 now. Some people are saying the error is due to a corrupted download but I don't think that's the case. There's still tons of thrashing going on in the background, not really sure what it's doing. Edge seems a little goofy, not sure what all the microsoftedgecp.exe are for. I get some stupidly large ads on WPCentral for some reason, they weren't there before.

DirtyApe777

Aug 2, 2015
Visit site
I've tried all of the suggestions here and nothing happens. I don't get a notification through windows update and the media creation tool just closes out when it gets to 100%.
Please help me as this is getting really frustrating.
I am on a fresh Windows 8.1 install and I have nothing left to update through windows update.

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I've tried all of the suggestions here and nothing happens. I don't get a notification through windows update and the media creation tool just closes out when it gets to 100%.
Please help me as this is getting really frustrating.
I am on a fresh Windows 8.1 install and I have nothing left to update through windows update.
Did you try the registry edit method?

Future Fossil

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
So, it's apparent that a reliable fix doesn't exist. Editing the registry is a far far cry from what Microsoft claimed the average user would have to do to get the upgrade, which was "Do nothing. You're all set". My two computers running Windows seven check for an update and fail once a day with error code 80240020. I guess I'll end up canceling the upgrade. I doubt that's what Microsoft had in mind.

Troyseph

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
It took me several attempts to install on my Stream 13". I think it would have worked without a hitch if I just waited to be notified, like the windows 10 upgrade app said. But I don't like to wait for things and tried the registry method, command force, and media tool. Eventually, I wiped the Stream to factory restore, then used the media tool to create a USB stick. Then used the stick to upgrade, but given the small hard drive, I had to plug in an external source to make sure that there was enough room for a backup. <-Which is weird, because disc utility still says that there is an 8 gig recovery partition on the ssd still, which I WISH I could finally remove. Alas, Windows 10 on my Stream.

sheldon cohn

May 15, 2015
Visit site
I tried the net stop wuauserv, next command, and start, then after checking for updates, I seen Advanced Micro Devices, driver update 1040. When it tried to install I received "There was a problem installing the update, error code
0x80070032" Retry is available, and I tried it, but same error appears. Anymore advice on getting it installed?

iason33

Aug 2, 2015
Visit site
hello, i have genuine version of Windows 8.1. but when i try to upgrade windows i get an 0x80070490 0x20016 error... :( can someone help me?

jsooney

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site
So, it's apparent that a reliable fix doesn't exist. Editing the registry is a far far cry from what Microsoft claimed the average user would have to do to get the upgrade, which was "Do nothing. You're all set". My two computers running Windows seven check for an update and fail once a day with error code 80240020. I guess I'll end up canceling the upgrade. I doubt that's what Microsoft had in mind.

The registry entry is only needed if you're impatient and don't feel like waiting. If you leave it alone out will happen eventually.

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site

The problem is that they give that error message. If you wait, you'll get W10 as planned. They just should never have put that as "Installation failed" instead of what it really is, "You will get Windows 10 when it's your turn."

Sapan Patel1

Aug 4, 2015
Visit site
Thank you so much....
yappiiieee finally got windows 10 for my windows 7 home basic today.
It took 1 hour to download in 2 MBPS speed.
took 35 minute to upgrade.

ginger101

Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
I've got Windows 10 Home Insider Preview, and I want to try and get the actual windows 10. since I downloaded the Insider version before the actual Windows 10 came out I havn't got the real update to windows 10, a friend who did the exact same as me has gotten windows 10.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs