Windows 10 upgrade from Win8.1 stuck at Working on it, what could the issue be?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

Windows 10 upgrade from Win8.1 stuck at Working on it

While i am doing Win10 upgrade from Win8.1, for last 30 minutes it is stuck at "Working on it" on flash window screen. Nothing moving. Internet connection is good (am writing through that only). What could be the issue. Files were downloaded last night (6.07GB total, 4.64GB on disk). What could be the issue?>

NathanJ1970

Aug 7, 2015
Visit site
Re: Windows 10 upgrade from Win8.1 stuck at Working on it

I closed the window that was saying "Working on it", and reopened the windows 10 icon. The download process began immediately. Hope this works for you 😊

igkhatri

Aug 12, 2015
Visit site

Thank you friends, i tried to update from control panel/windows update...worked absolutely fine on my Macbook with bootcamp...
Thanks

KellyJohn316

Aug 12, 2015
Visit site
Like so many of the posts on this forum, upgrading from the control panel, windows updates, check updates, did the trick for me as well. Just be patient as checking for updates runs, allow windows to install any required updates, then start over with the check for updates and the windows 10 install invitation should pop up. I only had this "working on it" problem with a Toshiba Satellite laptop running Windows 7. My two HP laptops did not have this problem (also running Windows 7). The advice on this forum was most appreciated.:

timallix

Aug 13, 2015
Visit site

I have been trying to update since the announcement on July 29th. I am a computer consultant and have been working with/installing windows for decades, but this one has me scratching my head. Right now, it's "working on it" Previous attempts have yielded the even more nefarious "something happened" error message. What's completely amusing is the claim, "expect a 10 second prep of your device" just prior to "working on it".

Ya Right.

C'mon Microsoft, I haven't been impressed by anything you've released since, well, never. I can't believe this company is still afloat; Windows 3.0, win 95, Win2000, Millenium, Vista, Win 8.0, all of them nasty, stupid releases. What gives? Almost ready to start promoting Mint Linux. It just works.

I have a 3 year old HP laptop with a fresh install of Windows 7 and all the updates done. Why can't MS join the discussion on this forum and provide a solution? Just boggles the mind.

Lisa Nightenhelser

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
I have 2 Toshiba Satellite laptops. My newer one worked with no problems from the taskbar icon. This older computer was stuck on "working on it." I don't think it ever downloaded an update because I checked my space used about a week ago and as of now it is exactly the same. I read on here to go to Windows update and try to install from there so I am trying that. It took about 10 minutes and finally a screen came up saying it's downloading 10. (2,092.5MB) We will see what happens but as of now I'm optimistic.

Jose Zagury

Aug 20, 2015
Visit site

I was upgrading from 7 to 10, 64bits, and was stucked with the "working on it" for more than 10 hours. I did exactly what you said, to get the upgrade from Windows Update (Check for updates) and it worked fine. Thank you.

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I think this is a result from the user interface being separated from the background installer. Being a developer I'm guessing this is what is going on. Often these days code in the UI communicates through a layer to the background service. If something fails in the communication or gets stuck in the service the front end may not get the message and appear to be stuck. I've seen Windows update do this too. Luckily the installer seems to be written well enough to recover.

KevinOBlack

Sep 4, 2015
Visit site
I had the same problem, after about 8 hours read the forum (unlike about 50% of the people commenting who obviously haven't bothered reading the thread where the solution is in the first couple of posts) and installed the update. Now I have to wait another millenia whilst the software is downloaded.

What really annoys me (and that's the polite word, believe me) is that I have already downloaded the Windows 10 Media, BUT I CANNOT USE IT WITHOUT SUPPLYING A PRODUCT KEY. Of course I do not have a product key because ACER, and other laptop OEMs, do not provide a product key, it's embedded. So the idiots at MS have the update software checking for your 'embedded' product key if you do the update, but if you have the media downloaded already and run the setup from there, you are forced to supply a PRODUCT KEY you do not have access to and have never had access to. Oh well, what's another useless 3 Gb download anyway.

Someone may chirp in and say ...Oh, but you could have got round it by doing XXXXX. That's not the point, I shouldn't have to be a tech guru just to use the installation media, aaaaaarrrrrrrrrggggghhhhhhh

As an earlier poster noted, the idiots at MS should actually have a think about the software they throw out in the world. I would have moved to Linux years ago, but some important software and software development environments I use are not available on Linux. If it was I would have junked this rubbish years ago, wishful thinking.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss