Windows 10 upgrade from Win8.1 stuck at Working on it, what could the issue be?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

Windows 10 upgrade from Win8.1 stuck at Working on it

While i am doing Win10 upgrade from Win8.1, for last 30 minutes it is stuck at "Working on it" on flash window screen. Nothing moving. Internet connection is good (am writing through that only). What could be the issue. Files were downloaded last night (6.07GB total, 4.64GB on disk). What could be the issue?>

auspex391

Jul 29, 2015
Visit site
Re: Windows 10 upgrade from Win8.1 stuck at Working on it

Same problem here on 8.1.

Rebooted and went to Windows Update in the control panel, started the upgrade from there, works fine.

Jaime7777

Jul 29, 2015
Visit site

While i am doing Win10 upgrade from Win8.1, for last 30 minutes it is stuck at "Working on it" on flash window screen. Nothing moving. Internet connection is good (am writing through that only). What could be the issue. Files were downloaded last night (6.07GB total, 4.64GB on disk). What could be the issue?>

Could you tell me where are the downloaded files please? (PATH)

hiltinuts2

Feb 10, 2009
Visit site

I am currently on "Working on it"...

Under Windows Updates I currently have just a "Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool x64" update waiting to be installed.
I will install this update, reboot, and try again.
​I will post my results.

-I'm back.
After installing the "Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool x64" update that was waiting, I rebooted, then did Check for Updates and now I'm presented with "Upgrade to Windows 10".

TLDR:
Don't use the "Get Windows 10" notification icon on the bottom right; do the following instead:
A) Go to Windows Updates, if Windows 10 is not listed, click Check for Updates
B) Install all Important pending updates 1st, then go to step A

Last edited:

Snowflake162

Jul 29, 2015
Visit site

I had the same problem on my Windows 7 PC and I can confirm that you have to go to the actual Windows Update thing to get the download to start. First, manually check for updates and then it'll say that Windows 10 is ready to download. Hope this helps ;-)

L Beezy

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site

Before I tell you this, I just want to warn you: DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK.

This happened to me on my 5 year old laptop. I simply held the power button to force my laptop to turn off, then turned it back on after about 15 seconds. Before I did this, the "Working on it" screen was on for over two hours. Also during that time, I noticed that there was no activity on my hard drive during this process. Since my laptop is outdated and only used as a test specimen for various activities, I was content with whatever happened as a result of my actions.

Once I turned my old laptop back on, it began the W10 updating process. I'm not saying to try this, but it worked for me.

collegezone

Jul 30, 2015
Visit site

"Working on it" also happened to me all day. The trick is to go to Windows Update. If you see it then get started. f you dont see it then click "check for updates". it wlll take a few and then start.

jamesautodude

Jul 30, 2015
Visit site

stuck on this from two hrs wtf every one has the same prob but no solution:amaze:

Does anyone know how to read?! Don't use the Windows 10 App, go to START then All Programs, then Windows Update... Click on "Check For Updates" and let that check for however long it takes.

Then, it'll show that you can upgrade and go from there.

Kabir Bellingeri

Jul 30, 2015
Visit site

HI everyone! mine got Stuck after the first part of the upgrade process started and the needed the first reboot, after restarting it just got stuck on the windows logo, no tuning circles underneath it, nothing was happening, i tried like 3 times doing all necessary updates on win update center, nothing guys i left it over night and this morning i got up finding my laptop still stuck at the windows logo.
your help will be highly appreciated!!! thanks

Kabir Bellingeri

Jul 30, 2015
Visit site

Hello James, do you have any idea why my upgrade gets stuck after the first restart is needed, it does everything, it downloads the update, it checks for the installation requirements and all but when it restarts for the first time before copying files, drivers, and the configuring setup my pc gets stuck on the windows logo, and no turning circles underneath it.

thanks

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb