Upgrade to Windows 10 Pro - Failed

dronkula

May 16, 2012
Visit site
Hi,

Just wondering if I should be worried yet - checking windows update and looking at the installed update log I've twice now already today had the message that Upgrade to Windows 10 Pro - Failed.

I'm upgrading from Windows 8.1 Pro.

Should I just leave it and trust Microsoft to get this fixed and check later today? Or download the ISO and do a clean install?

zack251

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
I have this failed messages via the Windows Update history. I am guessing the system is still downloading the necessary files in the background. But I don't really know for sure.

Jikangire

Mar 22, 2014
Visit site
When checking my update history in Windows Update I see that the Windows 10 update attempted 5 times already, (in the background mind you as I was never myself prompted to start the update), and failed each time. After much research I found that disabling my anti virus program, (in this case Bitdefender), and then running the "wuauclt.exe /updatenow" from the Administrator: Command Prompt, my computer is now downloading and preparing to install the Windows 10 update.

EDIT: After getting to 100% on the "Preparing to install" phase, I then got the following error:

Some updates were not installed
Failed: 1 update
Error(s) found:
Code 80240020 Windows Update ran into a problem.

Last edited:

2uiam

Jan 2, 2014
Visit site

jojoe42

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
What I did (now installed on SP2, and you better be happy with bugs :p) was type wuauclt.exe /updatenow into the command prompt and check for updates. If that doesn't work, run the in-built troubleshooter which will reset a few components and (for me) got the ball rolling. Also make sure you're plugged in!!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99