I am from India. I have Windows 8.1 running on my Laptop. I got the Get Windows 10 icon in my Taskbar since a Week.

Today I found out about the $windows folder. I switch to view hidden files, and saw that there is $windows-BT like folder in it, it is of 140MB in size.. I was really excited for that and keep the PC open so that the update can be downloaded.

After around 4 hours, I checked back and the folder is still 140MB in size.

I tried the command wuauclt.exe /updatenow and saw that Windows 10 started downloading in Windows Update area. COOL.
    But after around 45% of downloading it stopped with ERROR.

Now the command is not working.

No problem, I searched again and got to know that Windows 10 is slowing getting downloaded in background, just check through Task Manager. I checked and found that hvac is using my internat heavily and maybe downloading something, which according to Internet sources is the Windows 10. COOL.

I waited and keep checking the $windows folder. EXCITED. But the size was not increasing at all. I even checked the Windows Install folder and there was nothing.
    Till now around 6 GB of data was consumed. SURPRISED.

I saw that there is a official tool for updating. I downloaded it and now I have two folder.
    $WINDOWS.~BT and $windows.~WS

$WINDOWS.~BT is no longer hidden. $windows.~WS is hidden.

$WINDOWS.~BT is zero in size(0 KB)

Can someone please tell me what is happening....???????????
    07-29-2015 04:40 AM
    07-29-2015 04:49 AM
    I have faced same situation here. On 28/7/2015 it started downloading and yesterday i got windows~BT hidden folder with 140mb data and in software distribution folder 2.61gb throughout the day, stuckup there. Today I saw windows~bt(not hidden) has only 334kb and another windows~ws folder(hidden) has 5.76gb of data. What happened I cannot understand? In the mean time I have downloaded windows 10 to my pc by media creation tool and it is 3.10gb, but it tells a product key is necessary for installation. From where i can get this? MS told it is free for all. But what happened i dont understand. Also windows 10 icon on task bar tells that "We are validating windows 10 for your pc......" from yesterday.
    07-29-2015 11:34 PM