05-12-2016 06:08 AM
238 1234 ...
tools
    Well to say something to that, I did the upgrade (not clean install) from the Media Creation Tool, and after Upgrading I got another product key than my previous Win8.1, so that means, that the Key-Upgrade was done. But it can't activate in the settings app and says, that I have to connect to the internet in order to do the activation. So that can't be a problem with the ISO or Media Creation Tool stuff (expect someone made a clean install), that must be something on MS side.
    07-29-2015 01:56 PM
    Are you basing the different key off the last 5 being provided in the Activation window? Just curious as that's what I'm seeing and still no actual activation.
    07-29-2015 02:00 PM
    I also have the error 0xc004f034. First I upgraded from Windows 7 using the ISO downloaded from MS. After the installation the system was activated. Then I resetted the PC from the settings app and now I have that error on activation.

I think the W7 key has been already converted in a W10 key, because in Settings I see the last five letters of the key and it's different from the W7 one.
    07-29-2015 02:01 PM
    I just updated from my valid Windows 8.1, the laptop is done upgrading now, and it has the same issue. I just cant activate. Both upgraded from a legit Windows 8.1 I bought.
    Maybe we're struggling with the same misunderstanding that I just had with Scorpio5x0.

If you also did an in-place upgrade from installation media rather than through the internet, then you may have the same issue as him. I suspect that's what we're dealing with, in which case that's basically confirming that an at in-place upgrade from installation media doesn't upgrade the exiting Windows license key to a W10 license key.
    Guytronic likes this.
    07-29-2015 02:06 PM
    Are you basing the different key off the last 5 being provided in the Activation window? Just curious as that's what I'm seeing and still no actual activation.
    Yes, and after looking with AIDA, where I could see the full product key, it was clearly another key.
    07-29-2015 02:09 PM
    Yes, and after looking with AIDA, where I could see the full product key, it was clearly another key.
    Their servers must be blowing up right now, I wouldn't doubt if there was some kind of duplication going on as so many people are pinging the licensing services at once.

Is your key a retail key or OEM? The one I'm working with is for my Alienware 15
    07-29-2015 02:11 PM
    Their servers must be blowing up right now, I wouldn't doubt if there was some kind of duplication going on as so many people are pinging the licensing services at once.

Is your key a retail key or OEM? The one I'm working with is for my Alienware 15
    That's the doubt I have too, I mean, it's the first day and everyone around the world want's the newest bits. ^^

I should have a Retail Key (Win8.1 was from DreamSpark).
    07-29-2015 02:17 PM
    That's the doubt I have too, I mean, it's the first day and everyone around the world want's the newest bits. ^^

I should have a Retail Key (Win8.1 was from DreamSpark).
    Maybe. It does seem suspicious that those who upgraded using the Media Creation Tool are having problems. If it was a server issue I'd suspect everyone would be suffering similarly, but they aren't...

I'll just throw out that anyone upgrading from installation media (using the Media Creation Tool counts as that), has always required a new key to activate the upgraded Widows installation. For example, it was never possible to upgrade a W7 installation to W8 and then activate it with the W7 key. We were always required to type in the new key manually. The upgrade behaviour some of you are observing with the Media Creation Tool would be no different from any other version of Windows.

What is new and special about W10 is that W7 and W8.x license keys are converted. So far the only confirmed way that happens is with an in-place upgrade, but I've not seen anybody so far explicitly mention that the in-place upgrade had to occur online. That seems to have always been assumed however.

It will be interesting to see how this develops. Right now I suspect this approach will not have converted existing W7 and W8.x keys...
    RumoredNow, Guytronic and Isror like this.
    07-29-2015 02:38 PM
    Maybe. It does seem suspicious that those who upgraded using the Media Creation Tool are having problems. If it was a server issue I'd suspect everyone would be suffering similarly, but they aren't...

I'll just throw out that anyone upgrading from installation media (using the Media Creation Tool counts as that), has always required a new key to activate the upgraded Widows installation. For example, it was never possible to upgrade a W7 installation to W8 and then activate it with the W7 key. We were always required to type in the new key manually. The upgrade behaviour some of you are observing with the Media Creation Tool would be no different from any other version of Windows.

What is new and special about W10 is that W7 and W8.x license keys are converted. So far the only confirmed way that happens is with an in-place upgrade, but I've not seen anybody so far explicitly mention that the in-place upgrade had to occur online. That seems to have always been assumed however.

It will be interesting to see how this develops. Right now I suspect this approach will not have converted existing W7 and W8.x keys...
    I'm waiting on MS for a call, hopefully I get one today...I can't stand the very idea of upgrading an OS...I just prefer to do a clean install.
    a5cent likes this.
    07-29-2015 02:47 PM
    I'm waiting on MS for a call, hopefully I get one today...I can't stand the very idea of upgrading an OS...I just prefer to do a clean install.
    Yeah... But I think it was made very clear that this is a special circumstance. So the upgrade to convert your license is required. After that you can clean install if you like. An inconvenience yes, but one we have to accept.
    netmann likes this.
    07-29-2015 02:53 PM
    Yeah... But I think it was made very clear that this is a special circumstance. So the upgrade to convert your license is required. After that you can clean install if you like. An inconvenience yes, but one we have to accept.
    That's the problem...I did that. I upgraded from 8.1 to 10 from Windows Update. Once it was online, had all my settings synced etc. Made sure I was online installed a few updates, validated it said Win10 was registered, I went back and did a clean install.

After doing a clean install it asked for a key every step of the way. After logging in with the same synced account, it still doesn't carry over the valid key.
    07-29-2015 02:58 PM
    It is supposed to read your old License and convert it for 10.

Something went amiss there. Contact Customer Care or go to This PC > Properties and follow the help in the dialog box for Activation.

microsoft customer care - Bing
    Did a rollback to 8.1 and upgraded again, now I'm activated.
    RumoredNow likes this.
    07-29-2015 03:16 PM
    I did nothing and now I'm activated! Probably it's only a matter of time, don't worry. :)
    a5cent and RumoredNow like this.
    07-29-2015 03:18 PM
    I completely agree!

Right now you are the only person I'm aware of that has done an online in-place upgrade and yet wasn't able to get the clean install activated.

Let us know what MS has to say?
    Guytronic likes this.
    07-29-2015 03:23 PM
    I completely agree!

Right now you are the only person I'm aware of that has done an online in-place upgrade and yet wasn't able to get the clean install activated.

Let us know what MS has to say?
    I upgraded my HP Stream 7 from Windows Update...I'm tempted to give the clean install another go there to see if it repeats or perhaps its something to do with Dell's OEM licenses...I've not tried any of my retail Win8 keys yet.
    07-29-2015 03:27 PM
    Anyone notice that the OS changes the name of your computer also after upgrade?
    07-29-2015 03:35 PM
    OK...So spoke to MS and they claim their is an outage with the licensing servers. No ETA on when it will be resolved, but in my case...They told me it should resolve its self in roughly 48hrs. It should automatically see the license server and validate in that time frame. If I still have the issue on Monday, I'll need to have them escalate.
    a5cent, RumoredNow and Dadstar0410 like this.
    07-29-2015 04:07 PM
    Was I supposed to wait for anything to happen after doing my Win7 to Win10 upgrade before wiping and starting a clean install?
    I assumed since I went through the correct procedure that everything will activate eventually, but I'm starting to wonder if I needed to make sure that Win10 was activated prior to wiping and starting fresh...
    07-29-2015 05:57 PM
    Is it possible to update from Windows 8.0 straight to 10?
    07-29-2015 06:00 PM
    Is it possible to update from Windows 8.0 straight to 10?
    Yes, as always, provided you're aware of the issues mentioned in this thread's first post.
    Guytronic likes this.
    07-29-2015 06:04 PM
    So spoke to MS and they claim their is an outage with the licensing servers.
    Wonder how that would happen? Hmmm...

Was I supposed to wait for anything to happen after doing my Win7 to Win10 upgrade before wiping and starting a clean install?
    I assumed since I went through the correct procedure that everything will activate eventually, but I'm starting to wonder if I needed to make sure that Win10 was activated prior to wiping and starting fresh...
    I think the safe and sure route is called for at this time. Did you capture your key from after the upgrade? That's proof. Hold onto it.
    07-29-2015 06:04 PM
    Wonder how that would happen? Hmmm...

I think the safe and sure route is called for at this time. Did you capture your key from after the upgrade? That's proof. Hold onto it.
    Nope. I didn't know I would need that. All I have is my original Win7 key. I assumed everything was being taken care of the in cloud from what I read. I might be overly paranoid and impatient, but I can't help but feel like something isn't right. I think I will at least wait a few days to see if it activates. Otherwise, I'll reinstall Win7, Upgrade, make sure it activates, then wipe and try again.

Error code: 0xC004C003
    RumoredNow likes this.
    07-29-2015 06:10 PM
    I have screen caps of both sets of keys in the cloud in my OneNote... Sometimes a little paranoia is not out of place when heading off into the unknown.
    a5cent likes this.
    07-29-2015 06:14 PM
    Nope. I didn't know I would need that. All I have is my original Win7 key. I assumed everything was being taken care of the in cloud from what I read. I might be overly paranoid and impatient, but I can't help but feel like something isn't right. I think I will at least wait a few days to see if it activates. Otherwise, I'll reinstall Win7, Upgrade, make sure it activates, then wipe and try again.

Error code: 0xC004C003
    Even if everything goes south, as long as you have a W7 key, that's all you need to get back up and running. You might have to take the long way around, by reinstalling W7 and then upgrading again, but you'll always have options.

Anyway, the error code you're reporting is what MS says hints at server problems. I don't think you need to be very worried, at least not yet...
    RumoredNow and Guytronic like this.
    07-29-2015 06:18 PM
    So I have been on TP since the beginning, and I have all the updates including the patches and 10240. I still have WMP and other things from the insider preview that i think shouldn't be there in the final release. What is going on?
    07-29-2015 06:37 PM
238 1234 ...