05-12-2016 06:08 AM
238 ... 45678 ...
tools
    you don't have to be a jerk..!!!. simple questions to clarify .. I have tried every possible option and it will not upgrade
    I honestly don't understand why the first post didn't already clarify your question. Although it's all there, I've been repeating the same thing on every page since then.

I'm not sure if it's really not clear or if people aren't willing to go through the effort of reading it. The second deserves some ridicule! If it's the first I'd appreciate some pointers on how to improve it, so I'm no longer constantly having to repeat myself.

Think about it for a bit and I'm sure you'll understand. I'm glad to help. I expect others to at least read the first post before jumping in however. I don't think that's expecting too much.

If you still need help, ask away...
    Last edited by a5cent; 08-05-2015 at 03:20 AM. Reason: spelling
    08-04-2015 03:50 PM
    I honestly don't understand why the first post didn't already clarify your question. Although it's all there, I've been repeating the same thing on every page since then.

I'm not sure if it's really not clear or if people aren't willing to go through the effort of reading it. The second deserves some ridicule! If it's the first I'd appreciate some pointers on how to improve it, so I'm no longer constantly having to repeat myself.

Think about it for a bit and I'm sure you'll understand. I'm glad to help. I expect others to at least read the first post before jumping in however. I don't think that's expecting too much.

If you still need help, ask away...
    Well let me take a stab at answering "WHY"... First off nobody realized this was a "one-manned ship", secondly, I've had instances where the solutions to upgrading and installing you've posted here did not work, period (no rhyme or reason), thirdly and the most important one, "we're all human".... At least I think we are LOL.

All I can say is your time and effort are very much appreciated but you could not honestly have thought this wouldn't' happen did you, the experts have a hard time understanding where noobies/those inexperienced are coming from but I totally do because it happens daily and I've been there myself, in the end we all need to lighten up a little and if something becomes a tad too overwhelming then it's time to "shut er down".

And one other thing... This W10 upgrade has been far from stellar and I can attest to that, having 7 PC's/devices and going through the rigours of getting it done but not, far off from the days past, I started in the DOS days and everything in between and can honestly say this has been a step backwards... That may very well change I'm sure but doesn't negate what was.
    Last edited by Elky64; 08-04-2015 at 11:15 PM.
    08-04-2015 05:49 PM
    I have an Asus K53E running OEM Windows 7 SP1 that doesn't get used as often as it should (bought it for my wife and I usually work at my desktop). WU has been prompting me to install IE 11, but it fails every time. Fix it repair tool tells me I have a corrupt or missing file in windows update though I have been able to install all other updates, sometimes having to run the update repair tool. (Yes I tried that before fix it tool). To the point, wondering if I will be able to update this machine to Windows 10 without having to jump through too many hoops. The laptop is nearly 4 years old, should I continue to run it as is?
    08-04-2015 07:21 PM
    I have two partitions. one for the system and one for my personal files.

if I install win10, do I need to delete both partitions or I can just format the system one and install win10 there without loosing my data from the other partition?

thanks
    08-04-2015 08:01 PM
    I have an Asus K53E running OEM Windows 7 SP1 that doesn't get used as often as it should (bought it for my wife and I usually work at my desktop). WU has been prompting me to install IE 11, but it fails every time. Fix it repair tool tells me I have a corrupt or missing file in windows update though I have been able to install all other updates, sometimes having to run the update repair tool. (Yes I tried that before fix it tool). To the point, wondering if I will be able to update this machine to Windows 10 without having to jump through too many hoops. The laptop is nearly 4 years old, should I continue to run it as is?
    Jumping through hoops is an unknown when it comes to W10, you won't know until you try.

If it were me, I'd be inclined to do a "fresh install" of W7 using "system recovery" (if that's an option) before attempting an upgrade, this will return your PC back to factory defaults (just the way it came out of the box), you'll lose anything installed on it such as personal files, 3rd party programs etc so backing up of your data is highly recommended, if you choose to go this route try the W10 upgrade right after the refresh of 7 and before reinstalling your files/programs.

The reason I suggest the above is that you mention there are already some issues, if you upgrade to W10 these problems could migrate over and even be compounded. As well, it is always a good thing to make sure your devices software/drivers are up-to-date and the most recent, you can do this by visiting your PCs manufactures website and sourcing out the latest software/drivers.

In the end there is no guarantee what I mentioned above will allow for a pain-free upgrade but you'll be assured you covered most of the basis to better your chances.
    a5cent likes this.
    08-04-2015 10:41 PM
    I have two partitions. one for the system and one for my personal files.

if I install win10, do I need to delete both partitions or I can just format the system one and install win10 there without loosing my data from the other partition?

thanks
    It should have no bearing on your data partition, only the C: drive where your present OS resides, just be vigilant and pay close attention to what the PC is asking or telling you during the upgrade before accepting anything.

As for a "fresh" install of W10, of course after you've performed an upgrade first, it may ask if you want to format/wipe the second partition (it did for me), there is an option to select "NO", the reason to pay attention.
    Last edited by Elky64; 08-04-2015 at 11:01 PM.
    a5cent likes this.
    08-04-2015 10:51 PM
    First off nobody realized this was a "one-manned ship".
    Even if it was I don't think that makes a difference.

secondly, I've had instances where the solutions to upgrading and installing you've posted here did not work, period (no rhyme or reason).
    I'm not trying to solve every possible issue. I'm concentrating only on the activation issues which have been a common problem for people doing clean-installs. That accounts for almost 50% of the the installation problems being reported on WCentral. The first two hours after W10 became available made it clear this is what a FAQ (NOT a general "how to install W10 correctly" thread) needed to be about.

This FAQ isn't a solution to anything. It's NOT a step-by-step guide. Many articles try to be, and end up being long and complicated. If a step-by-step guide doesn't cover a particular situation a person is experiencing, it's often of no help at all.

Instead of listing step-by-step instructions, this FAQ instead attempts to explain how things work! That turns out to be surprisingly simple. IMHO it's a lot more helpful than the guides that treat people like monkeys who are incapable of grasping anything more technical than a "do A, then B and finally C".

Using this understanding, even novices can figure out why they can't activate W10 and what they must do to fix it. If you've NOT got an activation related (frequently asked) question however, then there are many other threads to go explore.

thirdly and the most important one, "we're all human".... At least I think we are LOL.
    If that's what it is, so be it. I still think there ought to be things that can be improved though.
    Last edited by a5cent; 08-05-2015 at 05:58 AM. Reason: spelling
    08-05-2015 02:08 AM
    WU has been prompting me to install IE 11, but it fails every time. Fix it repair tool tells me I have a corrupt or missing file in windows update though I have been able to install all other updates, sometimes having to run the update repair tool. (Yes I tried that before fix it tool). To the point, wondering if I will be able to update this machine to Windows 10 without having to jump through too many hoops. The laptop is nearly 4 years old, should I continue to run it as is?
    Besides reinstalling W7, you could also just try to repair it. That entails booting W7 from installation media and then selecting the "repair Windows" option.

After repairing I'd try to update IE. If that still doesn't work I'd risk an in-place upgrade to W10 first anyway. If the in-place upgrade succeeds I'd clean install W10 afterwards. If the in-place upgrade fails I'd clean install W7 and then repeat the in-place upgrade to W10.

If your machine runs W7 fine it will also have no problem running W10.

Under all circumstances, make sure you prepare for an eventual disaster scenario, by making a backup of all your personal data before upgrading. That way you won't lose anything important no matter what you do, or what happens. It's worth the peace of mind, even if everything ends up going smoothly.
    Last edited by a5cent; 08-05-2015 at 04:28 AM. Reason: formatting
    08-05-2015 02:26 AM
    I have an x86 version of Win7 on my laptop, but i want to load the x64 version of windows 10.
    How can i go about the installation? As far as i understand, i would need to clean install win 10?!
    08-05-2015 03:49 AM
    I have an x86 version of Win7 on my laptop, but i want to load the x64 version of windows 10.
    How can i go about the installation? As far as i understand, i would need to clean install win 10?!
    Correct. Just be certain you have a 64bit CPU and don't forget to do the in-place upgrade first.
    08-05-2015 04:20 AM
    I do have a 64bit cpu yes. Can i do the in place upgrade on x86, then do a clean install on x64? wont it give me issues? I realise this might seem like a stupid post, but im pretty sure my key is only for x86?!
    08-05-2015 05:07 AM
    Thats not a stupid question, the upgrade process is not self explaining. Unfortunately I can't answer your question.
    a5cent likes this.
    08-05-2015 05:11 AM
    I do have a 64bit cpu yes. Can i do the in place upgrade on x86, then do a clean install on x64? wont it give me issues? I realise this might seem like a stupid post, but im pretty sure my key is only for x86?!
    I agree with Rasetech... not a stupid question

Any Windows license key works for both 32bit and 64bit versions of that particular Windows SKU.

Either way, your current key is irrelevant for the W10 installation. What matters is the upgraded key that is stored in the cloud as part of your MS account. That new W10 key will also work for both 32bit and 64bit W10 installations.
    08-05-2015 05:51 AM
    Thank you for the clarification.. Time to backup and upgrade to win10.. then do the x64 upgrade later :)
    a5cent likes this.
    08-05-2015 05:53 AM
    Will Windows 10 activate If I use Windows Local account instead of signing in with Microsoft account? Is Microsoft account need in order to activate Windows 10?
    08-05-2015 08:33 AM
    Will Windows 10 activate If I use Windows Local account instead of signing in with Microsoft account? Is Microsoft account need in order to activate Windows 10?
    There is no harm in making an account. Just get it over with. Otherwise you're just making things more complicated than necessary for no reason.

You can do an in-place upgrade using nothing but a local account, but you won't be able to do a clean install.
    08-05-2015 08:40 AM
    Besides reinstalling W7, you could also just try to repair it. That entails booting W7 from installation media and then selecting the "repair Windows" option.

After repairing I'd try to update IE. If that still doesn't work I'd risk an in-place upgrade to W10 first anyway. If the in-place upgrade succeeds I'd clean install W10 afterwards. If the in-place upgrade fails I'd clean install W7 and then repeat the in-place upgrade to W10.

If your machine runs W7 fine it will also have no problem running W10.

Under all circumstances, make sure you prepare for an eventual disaster scenario, by making a backup of all your personal data before upgrading. That way you won't lose anything important no matter what you do, or what happens. It's worth the peace of mind, even if everything ends up going smoothly.
    Unfortunately the recovery media I created was lost in my last move and machine did not come with any discs from manufacturer (bought it 'out of box'). There aren't many files on it , I'm thinking recovery/ system restore at this point.
    08-05-2015 05:07 PM
    Unfortunately the recovery media I created was lost in my last move and machine did not come with any discs from manufacturer (bought it 'out of box'). There aren't many files on it , I'm thinking recovery/ system restore at this point.
    I don't know if this is relevant in your case, but I would install ProduKey to extract all your product keys. Use your phone to take a picture of the screen. You could use them when reinstalling W7. The "out-of-box" experience on your laptop will show up in ProduKey as (OEM).
    a5cent likes this.
    08-05-2015 05:17 PM
    You should be able to download the ISO file for Windows 7 from Microsoft's website and create an Install DVD from the ISO. You can then follow a5cent's advice regarding doing the "Repair Windows" option. And, depending on the age and manufacturer of your computer, there is probably a small partition set aside for the manufacturer's system recovery.
    a5cent likes this.
    08-05-2015 08:31 PM
    1) Under Settings / Update & Security / Activation , what does it say?
    activated

2) Under Settings / Accounts / Your Account , does it say you are signed in to your verified Microsoft Account?
    yes

3) Open an elevated command prompt and type "sfc /scannow". Does that confirm that your system is in a consistent state?

** windows resource protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them details are included in the cbs.log windir/logs/cbs/cbs/log for exampte c:windows/logs/cbs/cbs note that logging is currently no suppored in offline servicing scenarios.

????

4) Is the SKU of both Windows installations (what you in-place upgraded from, and what you later clean-installed) identical? Which SKU is that? (PRO, HOME, etc)

pro 8.1
    5) Did you upgrade from an insiders preview installation, or directly from W8.x or W7.1?

from win 8 deleted my win 10 partition

6) Are you sure the installation you in-place upgraded from was genuine, activated, and that you logged onto your MS account at least once after upgrading?

yes have receipt from Microsoft

the win 10 update showed up final in my updates.. it downloaded.. started the installation.. then goes to restart system then I get the error screen code

your pc/device needs to be repaired
    there isn't enough memory available to create a ramdisk device
    error code 0xc0000017
    your need to use recover tools if you don't have a installation media like disc or usb
    pc dvice manufacturer\\

I hit f9 it starts up my wint 8.1 again no problems\\\\

I got to update history.. its like lather rinse repeat right now.. ugghh..
    08-05-2015 10:03 PM
    I updated the FAQ to include links to where W10, W8.1 and W7.1 installation media can be downloaded. All legal and guaranteed malware-free from MS.
    Scorpio5x0 and Dadstar0410 like this.
    08-06-2015 03:14 AM
    If you (or anyone else with problems for that matter) could start off by answering the same set of questions listed in post #106, that would be great.
    1) Under Settings / Update & Security / Activation , what does it say?
    Windows not activated, error code: 0xC004C003

2) Under Settings / Accounts / Your Account , does it say you are signed in to your verified Microsoft Account?
    Yes, it recognizes the email, picture etc...

3) Open an elevated command prompt and type "sfc /scannow". Does that confirm that your system is in a consistent state?
    This one was tricky. It found errors, said it was unable to fix them. Then I ran the command in Safe Mode, also didn't work. Tried the DISM command, but it came with a no source error. I resetted my PC from settings, SFC still found problems, so I used my ISO to perform upgrade (not clean install) in order to fix the system files. Now it doesn't show any problems, but the error 0xC004C003 is still there.

4) Is the SKU of both Windows installations (what you in-place upgraded from, and what you later clean-installed) identical? Which SKU is that? (PRO, HOME, etc)
    Yes, Pro.

5) Did you upgrade from an insiders preview installation, or directly from W8.x or W7.1?
    From Win8.1
    6) Are you sure the installation you in-place upgraded from was genuine, activated, and that you logged onto your MS account at least once after upgrading?
    Yes, absolutely.

So, now SFC scan shows no errors, but it still doesn't activate. What now? Thanks!
    Last edited by Lyubomir Lazarov; 08-06-2015 at 04:20 PM.
    08-06-2015 03:22 AM
    I got to update history.. its like lather rinse repeat right now.. ugghh..
    So, you
    1) did a clean-install of W8.1, and installed nothing else beyond what the Windows installer installed
    2) installed all updates from WU and reserved W10 again
    3) you allowed it to download and then did the W10 update via WU
    4) then you got this error message

Is that correct?

How large is the partition you are installing Windows onto?
    How much RAM have you got?
    08-06-2015 03:24 AM
    S, now SFC scan errors, but it still doesn't activate. What now? Thanks!
    How long have you been waiting for activation to occur?
    08-06-2015 03:27 AM
    So, you
    1) did a clean-install of W8.1, and installed nothing else beyond what the Windows installer installed
    2) installed all updates from WU and reserved W10 again
    3) you allowed it to download and then did the W10 update via WU
    4) then you got this error message

Is that correct?

How large is the partition you are installing Windows onto?
    How much RAM have you got?
    No. I had Win8.1 Pro (I installed it from manufacturer DVD - you know, bloatware, etc..) with all updates. I reserved and upgraded to 10 Pro. It activated successfully, so I burned the Win10 Pro ISO on a DVD and clean installed. It gave me the famous error, so I waited almost 2 days. Then I saw the post, ran the SFC command and it found errors. In order to fix them I reset Win10 from settings. When that didn't help I used my ISO Win10 Pro DVD to perform just an upgrade (Win10 over Win10 to fix system errors), which fixed the SFC scan issues. I did the last several hours ago. The partition is 500 GB, and I have 8 GB of RAM. Error 0xC004C003 still there.
    08-06-2015 03:58 AM
238 ... 45678 ...