The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
05-12-2016 06:08 AM
238 ... 56789 ...
tools
    I had problems linking my local and microsoft accounts when I upgraded a pc from 7 to 10. I had added a work account that seemed to change the security permissions. After playing with every setting I knew of, I was not able to get it to work. I changed settings in the advanced IE settings nothing worked. I created a new user and it still did not work. Finally did a refresh of Windows 10 and the same issue. I had to do a clean instal and now I can log in to my Microsoft account.
    08-06-2015 02:29 PM
    Upgrade Win 8.1 Retail to Win 10.
    Is it ok to do clean install with entirely new hardware PC?
    08-06-2015 04:10 PM
    ^ Officially, no. That's why information describing your hardware is also associated with your W10 license. Your upgraded license is tied to your machine.
    Unofficially, maybe. After installing you'd certainly have to call MS and ask them to reactivate the license on your new computer. I don't know how lenient they will be. If you try that out let us know the results
    08-06-2015 04:17 PM
    ^ no problem. MS also has a media creation tool for W8.1

Create installation media for Windows 8.1 - Windows Help

Good luck!
    I entered my SP3's default product key, and that worked, but after that, Windows Setup says "Something Happened: Setup failed to determine supported install choices." What does that mean, and how do I solve this problem? There weren't any alternate options for me to choose; everything I selected was the only option available.
    08-06-2015 05:46 PM
    Does anyone know if there is a way we can see the various hardware IDs we've registered in "the cloud." I like the simplicity of all of this, but being able to see all of my devices would be nice.
    08-06-2015 06:06 PM
    I entered my SP3's default product key, and that worked, but after that, Windows Setup says "Something Happened: Setup failed to determine supported install choices." What does that mean, and how do I solve this problem? There weren't any alternate options for me to choose; everything I selected was the only option available.
    I never enter a product key after doing the in place upgrade, and then doing clean installs. Once I log in with my Microsoft account it just simply says activated. Just skip all the prompts for the keys and log in AFTER doing an in place upgrade.
    08-06-2015 06:07 PM
    I never enter a product key after doing the in place upgrade, and then doing clean installs. Once I log in with my Microsoft account it just simply says activated. Just skip all the prompts for the keys and log in AFTER doing an in place upgrade.
    This is for reinstalling default W8.1 image. Product key is required.
    08-06-2015 06:08 PM
    The blanket statement, of you can just reinstall for a fresh build is not a valid one.

The effort regarding the 'clean install' does not work as advertised for all computers.

I have a fee machines I used in in the Insider Program. 2 Lenovo X series laptops and 1 Sony Specifically the Sony Vaio P.

The Lenovo's, were Win8 Pro machines, the Sony was WIn7 Ultimate (originally and Win 7 Home OEM provide build).
    All were enrolled and running early thru the 10240 Insider Builds.

I tried this so called 'clean install' on the Sony and it failed to fully complete the first time.
    On the second attempt, the install did complete, but it prompted for a 'Product Key' about 3 times. When it did complete, all the apps in the 'Start Menu' were note there.
    On the third attempt it did compete, but it prompted me for a 'Product key' about 3 times, and I continued to sect skip. All the apps were there, but what I got was Win 10 home, not Win 10 Pro as expected.

So, this 'clean install', is not as advertised and your mileage may vary.

I tried this install multiple times, multiple ways (W7Pro, W8.1Pro, Upgrade in place, the new build using the available 10240 Insider ISO, the public ISO and an MSDN ISO), all with the same result. It would revert back to an unlicensed/activated Win 10 Home install.

My take away is that on certain OEM builds or maybe some OEM builds on these older machines, the Win 10 key cannot be written to the hardware as discussed. Seemingly you can only get Win 10 pro, on some of these older systems as an upgrade in place only or Refresh with wipe all. You cannot boot form a USB/ISO key and fresh build.

Again this was just my experience with this on this Sony Vaio P.

I have not yet tested the Lenovo's mentioned to see what happens with those OEM builds.
    08-06-2015 07:26 PM
    I upgarded today to windows 10 and i love it.
    but
    when i go to computer info it is showing that i have 32-bit OS, x64-based Processor. i am slightly confused. does this mean i have a 32 bit OS installed but my computer is compatible with 64 bit?
    and if so , if i want to clean re-install windows 10 and format the Hardisk and make the windows 64-bit .

will there be any problem like in windows activation or anything else ?????
    and is there any way to make the windows 64-bit without the clean re-intall windows 10 method?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated
    08-06-2015 09:26 PM
    when i go to computer info it is showing that i have 32-bit OS, x64-based Processor. i am slightly confused. does this mean i have a 32 bit OS installed but my computer is compatible with 64 bit?
    and if so , if i want to clean re-install windows 10 and format the Hardisk and make the windows 64-bit .

will there be any problem like in windows activation or anything else ?????
    and is there any way to make the windows 64-bit without the clean re-intall windows 10 method?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated
    Whether you have a 32bit or 64bit installation is shown under

Start Button Context Menu > System > System Type

Before doing a clean install ensure that your installation is activated (listed in the same place as bit'edness)! For more see posts #134 - #138 in this thread.
    mazin7 likes this.
    08-07-2015 04:02 AM
    I've never owned or heard of a computing device where MS' standard installation media didn't work. That being said, MS does have a site specifically for SP3 support, where it's possible to download recovery media specifically for the SP3. That's probably what I'd try:

Download a recovery image for Microsoft Surface

If that doesn't work I'd try the SP3 forums on this site and MS support.
    08-07-2015 04:09 AM
    The blanket statement, of you can just reinstall for a fresh build is not a valid one.
    It is valid, but only in regard to how activation occurs. That's what this thread is about.

If you can't even get W10 to install correctly, then that is an entirely different matter. Nobody is so insane as to claim with certainty, that there exists not a single compatibility issue between W10 and the thousands of devices that manufacturers have brought to market over the last decade. There are bound to be issues somewhere. Most often it's just about learning how to install W10 correctly on your particular device. That's not what this thread is about.

You've just misunderstood the clean-install claim this thread is making. It's primarily about what we must consider before a clean-install will activate as expected. Obviously, none of that applies if you can't get W10 to install at all.
    Last edited by a5cent; 08-07-2015 at 09:20 AM. Reason: spelling
    08-07-2015 04:22 AM
    ok a silly queston..how to save the w10 key to the cloud? is there a manual way or just copy paste?
    08-07-2015 01:30 PM
    ok a silly queston..how to save the w10 key to the cloud? is there a manual way or just copy paste?
    You must be logged into your MS account while doing the in-place upgrade to W10 (or at the very least login afterwards). That's what puts the W10 key into the cloud. It's not possible to do that any other way.
    abhi-nbmc likes this.
    08-07-2015 02:19 PM
    So, you
    1) did a clean-install of W8.1, and installed nothing else beyond what the Windows installer installed
    2) installed all updates from WU and reserved W10 again
    3) you allowed it to download and then did the W10 update via WU
    4) then you got this error message

Is that correct?

How large is the partition you are installing Windows onto?
    How much RAM have you got?
    So, you
    1) did a clean-install of W8.1, and installed nothing else beyond what the Windows installer installed
    windows 8 to 8.1 update
    2) installed all updates from WU and reserved W10 again
    yes
    3) you allowed it to download and then did the W10 update via WU
    yes
    4) then you got this error message

Is that correct?
    yes

How large is the partition you are installing Windows onto?
    How much RAM have you got?

4 gig
    08-07-2015 08:33 PM
    ^ Well, you're in the same boat as one or two others here. The problem has nothing to do with activation but with the fact that you can't get W8/W10 installed correctly. Since I don't know anything about your device there isn't much I can tell you.

It's not clear to me if your W8.0 or W8.1 installation might already be screwed up, or if sfc only uncovers errors after the update to W10. If it's already screwed up before the update, then that's what you must resolve before continuing to do the W10 update. If it's really the W10 update that screws up your installation than I'd say you're out of luck, meaning your best bet is to wait for an updated version of W10.

Here are some things I would likely try in your position:

- Get installation media that installs W8.1 directly (You can use generic keys for installation and your W8.0 key for activation).
    - Before installing W8.1 ensure you thoroughly format (not a quick format) the installation partition to NTFS.
    - Unplug all peripherals except keyboard and mouse.
    - Before installing W8.1 reset your BIOS to default values.
    - After installing W8.1 also install the latest motherboard drivers (download from motherboard manufacturer or you device's OEM)
    - Ensure sfc /scannow returns no errors. If it does something is already screwed up, in which case you need to fix that BEFORE doing the update to W10. Check the mentioned log file to see what is wrong.

Sorry I can't help more.
    08-07-2015 09:11 PM
    ^ Well, you're in the same boat as one or two others here. The problem has nothing to do with activation but with the fact that you can't get W8/W10 installed correctly. Since I don't know anything about your device there isn't much I can tell you.

It's not clear to me if your W8.0 or W8.1 installation might already be screwed up, or if sfc only uncovers errors after the update to W10. If it's already screwed up before the update, then that's what you must resolve before continuing to do the W10 update. If it's really the W10 update that screws up your installation than I'd say you're out of luck, meaning your best bet is to wait for an updated version of W10.

Here are some things I would likely try in your position:

- Get installation media that installs W8.1 directly (You can use generic keys for installation and your W8.0 key for activation).
    - Before installing W8.1 ensure you thoroughly format (not a quick format) the installation partition to NTFS.
    - Unplug all peripherals except keyboard and mouse.
    - Before installing W8.1 reset your BIOS to default values.
    - After installing W8.1 also install the latest motherboard drivers (download from motherboard manufacturer or you device's OEM)
    - Ensure sfc /scannow returns no errors. If it does something is already screwed up, in which case you need to fix that BEFORE doing the update to W10. Check the mentioned log file to see what is wrong.

Sorry I can't help more.
    thanks for your help.

I do have a copy of windows 7 ultimate that I have for this machine.. maybe I can install that on the partitioned drive and the upgrade that ..

I wonder if I can still dual boot between 8.1 and 7 and up grade the 7 to 10.
    08-07-2015 09:59 PM
    So, a little Update. As I told in in post's ages ago, I had trouble with activating Windows after upgrading (no clean install), using the Media Creation Tool. As I read today, that activation issues on Windows were solved, I tried to use the product key I got after upgrading from 8 to 10, and now it's activated, so there was no problem with the Media Creation Tool to begin with, expect people did an clean install instead of using the upgrade option which was offered by the tool, and so it wasn't a generic key that was created, it was the upgraded key, else it wouldn't activate Windows. ^^

That's what I wanted to tell, after having the issues and the MCT was blamed for it, don't know, if somebody already told about it in the other posts. ^^
    Last edited by klose91; 08-10-2015 at 03:31 PM.
    a5cent likes this.
    08-10-2015 12:19 PM
    I have windows 8.1 single language installed. I want to know which version should I upgrade to? In the media centre tool, I have options such as Pro, Home, Home Single Language. Do I have to upgrade it to the Home Single Language or Home version?
    08-10-2015 12:29 PM
    The original post of this thread refers to requiring a Microsoft account to associate your hardware with your Windows 10 license during in-place upgrades from Windows 7 and 8.1. This is not true according to both my own experience with reinstallation and the information that was reported at the launch of Windows 10.

My mother's computer had an issue with Windows 7 that required a clean install prior to upgrading to Windows 10. Once I completed the installation of Windows 7 and activated, I upgraded this computer to Windows 10. Windows 10 was still just using the local account created during the Windows 7 install. Once I verified that Windows 10 was activated, I wiped the hard drive and did a clean installation of Windows 10. As soon as the computer was connected to the internet, it automatically activated. At no point in this process was a Microsoft account ever required.
    a5cent likes this.
    08-12-2015 02:50 PM
    The original post of this thread refers to requiring a Microsoft account to associate your hardware with your Windows 10 license during in-place upgrades from Windows 7 and 8.1. This is not true according to both my own experience with reinstallation and the information that was reported at the launch of Windows 10.

My mother's computer had an issue with Windows 7 that required a clean install prior to upgrading to Windows 10. Once I completed the installation of Windows 7 and activated, I upgraded this computer to Windows 10. Windows 10 was still just using the local account created during the Windows 7 install. Once I verified that Windows 10 was activated, I wiped the hard drive and did a clean installation of Windows 10. As soon as the computer was connected to the internet, it automatically activated. At no point in this process was a Microsoft account ever required.
    It's possible that a functional internet connection is all MS requires to store your license key in the cloud, and that the key is only associated with your account if you have an MS account. I read contradictory information about this back when W10 was released, so I decided to err on the safe side by mentioning the account, but I believe you are likely correct. If someone else can also confirm I'll see what I can do about correcting the first post. Thanks for mentioning it!

Either way though, you really are only getting half of what W10 has to offer without an MS account, at least if your PC isn't the only computing device you use.
    08-12-2015 04:24 PM
    I've never owned or heard of a computing device where MS' standard installation media didn't work. That being said, MS does have a site specifically for SP3 support, where it's possible to download recovery media specifically for the SP3. That's probably what I'd try:

Download a recovery image for Microsoft Surface

If that doesn't work I'd try the SP3 forums on this site and MS support.
    This worked!! After downloading the zip file for the 8.1 recovery image for SP3, then copying the compressed files over to a USB, I followed the steps exactly, and everything worked out great. As I type this, I'm on activated 8.1 installing 107 updates. And get this: When I booted it up, it asked me if I wanted the free upgrade to Windows 10!! WOO! Couldn't be happier right now. Thanks a5cent!
    a5cent likes this.
    08-12-2015 08:04 PM
    Either way though, you really are only getting half of what W10 has to offer without an MS account, at least if your PC isn't the only computing device you use.
    I agree. My mother's computer referenced in my post above is now connected using her Microsoft account, but since I needed to do a clean install of Windows 7 anyway on her computer, I tested the entire process of a clean Windows 10 install without using one.

This article is the clearest explanation of the activation process that I came across at the Windows 10 launch. Here is the breakdown:

The basic process is that when you perform an upgrade to Windows 10 (over a genuine Windows 7 or 8.1 system), an anonymous and unique hardware hash is generated that is based on your systems hardware configuration. Since it is anonymous, you do not have to use a Microsoft Account. This hardware hash is generated even if you choose to install Windows 10 with a Local Account.

That same hardware hash is sent to Microsoft servers and a corresponding certificate is created to validate your systems activation status. From this point forward any future installs, including one where you delete all partitions and install Windows 10 from scratch, will be activated because of that unique hardware hash and the corresponding certificate. Since it is all stored on Microsofts servers there is no reason for us to keep a backup either.
    a5cent likes this.
    08-13-2015 10:35 AM
    Well.

I did a clean install of Windows 10. I did it by the media creation tool. For many reasons, I couldn't upgrade W10 with the WU because my HDD had issues.. So I erased W7, and installed W10 through the MCT. Like everyone, I have the 0xc004c003 error. I called MS technical support twice. The first guy told me that they were aware of the issue and a patch / fixit would fix the issue. I called this afternoon, the second guy told me that it was impossible to activate W10 if you did a clean install of W10.

I didn't do my recovery tool of W7 because my HDD was broken. I did a slmgr /ato /rearm /rilc but did nothing at all. My W10 is installed, no more HDD issues, but it's not activated. And it really pisses me off.
    Last edited by a5cent; 08-13-2015 at 01:10 PM. Reason: language
    08-13-2015 11:32 AM
    Well.

I did a clean install of Windows 10. I did it by the media creation tool. For many reasons, I couldn't upgrade W10 with the WU because my HDD had issues.. So I erased W7, and installed W10 through the MCT. Like everyone, I have the 0xc004c003 error. I called MS technical support twice. The first guy told me that they were aware of the issue and a patch / fixit would fix the issue. I called this afternoon, the second guy told me that it was impossible to activate W10 if you did a clean install of W10.

I didn't do my recovery tool of W7 because my HDD was broken. I did a slmgr /ato /rearm /rilc but did nothing at all. My W10 is installed, no more HDD issues, but it's not activated. And it really pisses me off.
    They are both correct. See the first post in this thread.
    08-13-2015 01:10 PM
238 ... 56789 ...