Windows 10 Activation/Upgrade/Clean Install FAQ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yogesh Malhotra

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site
I am on build 10162 and now wants to install windows 10 official version directly.. Is der any way to do this.. Bcoz when I am checking update its prompting downloading professional 10240 . I don't want to install 10240 . Can I skip this?

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
When upgrading your system is the update process not supposed to convert your Win 7 license to a Win 10 license or am I missing something?

No! :smile:

You specifically said you did a clean install from ISO. In FAQ item (1) I explain why that doesn't upgrade your license. I just added FAQ item (2) that explains basically the same thing, but states the question differently so you'll be more likely to think of it being applicable to your situation.

I'd appreciate your help in improving the FAQ if it's still not clear. ;-)

Isror

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Ok so after I synced my Microsoft account with the code sent to my phone...Its acting like its licensed, but when I go into the Activation pane, it still shows an error. I can do other functions previously not allowed like customizing my themes etc. Nothing saying "You must activate" except in the Activation pane.

I'm trying to get MS on then phone but that'll be another year or so lol

Scorpio5x0

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
No! :smile:

You specifically said you did a clean install from ISO. In FAQ item (1) I explain why that doesn't upgrade your license. I just added FAQ item (2) that explains basically the same thing, but states the question differently so you'll be more likely to think of it being applicable to your situation.

I'd appreciate your help in improving the FAQ if it's still not clear. ;-)

I didn't mention a clean install. But regardless, my confusion was believing that upgrading via ISO would convert those licenses. I am glad I didn't use my primary computer as the guinea pig. Based on that, for anyone else trying to upgrade, I would not use the ISO file for the initial upgrade.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I didn't mention a clean install. But regardless, my confusion was believing that upgrading via ISO would convert those licenses. I am glad I didn't use my primary computer as the guinea pig. Based on that, for anyone else trying to upgrade, I would not use the ISO file for the initial upgrade.

You said you installed using an ISO. I thought that implied a clean install... that's normally how it's thought to be used anyway...

Using an ISO to do an in-place upgrade... no idea. I haven't read anything about that option online and have no experience with it myself. Now I think I understand where the misunderstanding occurred. You're the first person I've seen that has provided feedback for that approach.

klose91

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Well to say something to that, I did the upgrade (not clean install) from the Media Creation Tool, and after Upgrading I got another product key than my previous Win8.1, so that means, that the Key-Upgrade was done. But it can't activate in the settings app and says, that I have to connect to the internet in order to do the activation. So that can't be a problem with the ISO or Media Creation Tool stuff (expect someone made a clean install), that must be something on MS side.

Isror

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Are you basing the different key off the last 5 being provided in the Activation window? Just curious as that's what I'm seeing and still no actual activation.

Kiba85

May 28, 2014
Visit site
I also have the error 0xc004f034. First I upgraded from Windows 7 using the ISO downloaded from MS. After the installation the system was activated. Then I resetted the PC from the settings app and now I have that error on activation.

I think the W7 key has been already converted in a W10 key, because in Settings I see the last five letters of the key and it's different from the W7 one.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I just updated from my valid Windows 8.1, the laptop is done upgrading now, and it has the same issue. I just cant activate. Both upgraded from a legit Windows 8.1 I bought.

Maybe we're struggling with the same misunderstanding that I just had with Scorpio5x0.

If you also did an in-place upgrade from installation media rather than through the internet, then you may have the same issue as him. I suspect that's what we're dealing with, in which case that's basically confirming that an at in-place upgrade from installation media doesn't upgrade the exiting Windows license key to a W10 license key.

klose91

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Are you basing the different key off the last 5 being provided in the Activation window? Just curious as that's what I'm seeing and still no actual activation.

Yes, and after looking with AIDA, where I could see the full product key, it was clearly another key.

Isror

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Yes, and after looking with AIDA, where I could see the full product key, it was clearly another key.

Their servers must be blowing up right now, I wouldn't doubt if there was some kind of duplication going on as so many people are pinging the licensing services at once.

Is your key a retail key or OEM? The one I'm working with is for my Alienware 15

klose91

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Their servers must be blowing up right now, I wouldn't doubt if there was some kind of duplication going on as so many people are pinging the licensing services at once.

Is your key a retail key or OEM? The one I'm working with is for my Alienware 15

That's the doubt I have too, I mean, it's the first day and everyone around the world want's the newest bits. ^^

I should have a Retail Key (Win8.1 was from DreamSpark).

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
That's the doubt I have too, I mean, it's the first day and everyone around the world want's the newest bits. ^^

I should have a Retail Key (Win8.1 was from DreamSpark).

Maybe. It does seem suspicious that those who upgraded using the Media Creation Tool are having problems. If it was a server issue I'd suspect everyone would be suffering similarly, but they aren't...

I'll just throw out that anyone upgrading from installation media (using the Media Creation Tool counts as that), has always required a new key to activate the upgraded Widows installation. For example, it was never possible to upgrade a W7 installation to W8 and then activate it with the W7 key. We were always required to type in the new key manually. The upgrade behaviour some of you are observing with the Media Creation Tool would be no different from any other version of Windows.

What is new and special about W10 is that W7 and W8.x license keys are converted. So far the only confirmed way that happens is with an in-place upgrade, but I've not seen anybody so far explicitly mention that the in-place upgrade had to occur online. That seems to have always been assumed however.

It will be interesting to see how this develops. Right now I suspect this approach will not have converted existing W7 and W8.x keys...

Isror

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Maybe. It does seem suspicious that those who upgraded using the Media Creation Tool are having problems. If it was a server issue I'd suspect everyone would be suffering similarly, but they aren't...

I'll just throw out that anyone upgrading from installation media (using the Media Creation Tool counts as that), has always required a new key to activate the upgraded Widows installation. For example, it was never possible to upgrade a W7 installation to W8 and then activate it with the W7 key. We were always required to type in the new key manually. The upgrade behaviour some of you are observing with the Media Creation Tool would be no different from any other version of Windows.

What is new and special about W10 is that W7 and W8.x license keys are converted. So far the only confirmed way that happens is with an in-place upgrade, but I've not seen anybody so far explicitly mention that the in-place upgrade had to occur online. That seems to have always been assumed however.

It will be interesting to see how this develops. Right now I suspect this approach will not have converted existing W7 and W8.x keys...

I'm waiting on MS for a call, hopefully I get one today...I can't stand the very idea of upgrading an OS...I just prefer to do a clean install.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm waiting on MS for a call, hopefully I get one today...I can't stand the very idea of upgrading an OS...I just prefer to do a clean install.

Yeah... But I think it was made very clear that this is a special circumstance. So the upgrade to convert your license is required. After that you can clean install if you like. An inconvenience yes, but one we have to accept.

Isror

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Yeah... But I think it was made very clear that this is a special circumstance. So the upgrade to convert your license is required. After that you can clean install if you like. An inconvenience yes, but one we have to accept.

That's the problem...I did that. I upgraded from 8.1 to 10 from Windows Update. Once it was online, had all my settings synced etc. Made sure I was online installed a few updates, validated it said Win10 was registered, I went back and did a clean install.

After doing a clean install it asked for a key every step of the way. After logging in with the same synced account, it still doesn't carry over the valid key.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site

I completely agree!

Right now you are the only person I'm aware of that has done an online in-place upgrade and yet wasn't able to get the clean install activated.

Let us know what MS has to say?

Isror

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I completely agree!

Right now you are the only person I'm aware of that has done an online in-place upgrade and yet wasn't able to get the clean install activated.

Let us know what MS has to say?

I upgraded my HP Stream 7 from Windows Update...I'm tempted to give the clean install another go there to see if it repeats or perhaps its something to do with Dell's OEM licenses...I've not tried any of my retail Win8 keys yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bevitalglucopre