Windows 10 Activation/Upgrade/Clean Install FAQ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Isror

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
OK...So spoke to MS and they claim their is an outage with the licensing servers. No ETA on when it will be resolved, but in my case...They told me it should resolve its self in roughly 48hrs. It should automatically see the license server and validate in that time frame. If I still have the issue on Monday, I'll need to have them escalate.

Travis Brock

Jul 29, 2015
Visit site
Was I supposed to wait for anything to happen after doing my Win7 to Win10 upgrade before wiping and starting a clean install?
I assumed since I went through the correct procedure that everything will activate eventually, but I'm starting to wonder if I needed to make sure that Win10 was activated prior to wiping and starting fresh...

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
So spoke to MS and they claim their is an outage with the licensing servers.

Wonder how that would happen? Hmmm...

Was I supposed to wait for anything to happen after doing my Win7 to Win10 upgrade before wiping and starting a clean install?
I assumed since I went through the correct procedure that everything will activate eventually, but I'm starting to wonder if I needed to make sure that Win10 was activated prior to wiping and starting fresh...

I think the safe and sure route is called for at this time. Did you capture your key from after the upgrade? That's proof. Hold onto it.

Travis Brock

Jul 29, 2015
Visit site
Wonder how that would happen? Hmmm...

I think the safe and sure route is called for at this time. Did you capture your key from after the upgrade? That's proof. Hold onto it.

Nope. I didn't know I would need that. All I have is my original Win7 key. I assumed everything was being taken care of the in cloud from what I read. I might be overly paranoid and impatient, but I can't help but feel like something isn't right. I think I will at least wait a few days to see if it activates. Otherwise, I'll reinstall Win7, Upgrade, make sure it activates, then wipe and try again.

Error code: 0xC004C003

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I have screen caps of both sets of keys in the cloud in my OneNote... Sometimes a little paranoia is not out of place when heading off into the unknown.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Nope. I didn't know I would need that. All I have is my original Win7 key. I assumed everything was being taken care of the in cloud from what I read. I might be overly paranoid and impatient, but I can't help but feel like something isn't right. I think I will at least wait a few days to see if it activates. Otherwise, I'll reinstall Win7, Upgrade, make sure it activates, then wipe and try again.

Error code: 0xC004C003

Even if everything goes south, as long as you have a W7 key, that's all you need to get back up and running. You might have to take the long way around, by reinstalling W7 and then upgrading again, but you'll always have options.

Anyway, the error code you're reporting is what MS says hints at server problems. I don't think you need to be very worried, at least not yet...

Dadstar0410

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
So I have been on TP since the beginning, and I have all the updates including the patches and 10240. I still have WMP and other things from the insider preview that i think shouldn't be there in the final release. What is going on?

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
So I have been on TP since the beginning, and I have all the updates including the patches and 10240. I still have WMP and other things from the insider preview that i think shouldn't be there in the final release. What is going on?

Nothing.

As far as Windows is concerned that's just software that you use. How should it know whether it's alright to remove it or not? It can't. If you want an installation that resembles a freshly installed copy of Windows you'll have to do a clean install or a refresh/reset.

Last edited:

Dadstar0410

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Nothing.

As far as Windows is concerned that's just software that you use. How should it know whether it's alright to remove it or not? It can't. If you want an installation that reflects a freshly installed copy of Windows you'll have to do a clean install or a refresh/reset.

What I mean is WMP is still there and there is an "app" in "Other" in the app list that is just a string of symbols.

Oohh wait. I understand completely. Thanks!

Scorpio5x0

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Ok, the pc that I used the Media Creation Tool to update, after failing to activate all day complaining that it was an invalid key, final activated.

Baron164

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
What if you have multiple machines upgraded to 10 on one account? Can I check how many licenses I have for Windows 10 on my account? If a system fails and I have to replace the motherboard or I upgrade the CPU am I going to be forced to buy another license of Windows 10 because that would be bs.

Ma Sles

Jul 30, 2015
Visit site
I need help so bad! My windows 10 update keeps failing I get two error codes 80240020 & 80244019. It gets almost done downloading and bam fail. I currently have Win 8.1/64. It installed without a hitch on my other pc...what gives?

Scorpio5x0

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Ok, for anyone that upgraded via the Media Creation Tool and can not activate their Windows 10 license. I just did this on 2 seperate machines. Goto command prompt(Administrator) and at the prompt type:

sfc /scannow

Once the process starts, click activate license under the system menu. Once I did this both my computers activated.

vikash singh1

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
My apps were fine untill yesterday. But from today morning it has started close itself whenever I run them. Most of the app. What could be the reason for this issue?

Kabir Bellingeri

Jul 30, 2015
Visit site
Hello everyone! while upgrading my samsung rv511 the installation gets stuck just after the first restart, the windows logo comes up and nothing happens, i tried letting it do it's thing but got up this morning to still see the windows 8.1 logo and installation won't continue to the page with the overall update percentage, i upgraded a very old dell inspiron 1525 with no problems but ban't upgrade the newer samsung rv511 please guys i need your help

thanks!!

Neil Manuel

May 6, 2015
Visit site
Hello. I can't install windows 10. I've reserved for many weeks ago and I already checked via Windows update. Still nothing. I do have the $Windows... folder but it's just 140MB please do help me.

WinSammie

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
Since upgrading via the normal update gave errors I used the Media Creation Tool to update 3 PC's (2x 8.1 pro 32bits and 1x 8.1 home 64 bits) and it went perfect, including the activation.:excited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss