Windows 10 Activation/Upgrade/Clean Install FAQ

Status
Not open for further replies.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Hello. I can't install windows 10. I've reserved for many weeks ago and I already checked via Windows update. Still nothing. I do have the $Windows... folder but it's just 140MB please do help me.

Did you go through everything mentioned in item 3 of the FAQ?

Dadstar0410

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Since upgrading via the normal update gave errors I used the Media Creation Tool to update 3 PC's (2x 8.1 pro 32bits and 1x 8.1 home 64 bits) and it went perfect, including the activation.:excited:

You don't have to do a clean install from boot, right? Can't you do a clean install while the system is booted? I've been installing updates via ISO for months now, wiping everything when the installation asks what to keep. I haven't noticed any apparent problems with my system after doing this. I don't have any experience with UEFI or creating bootable media, so I use this as an alternative. Is this not okay?

Last edited:

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I would like to add the following to #3 of the Faq as I tried everything and it did not work.

How I got my pc upgraded was by downloading the Media Creation tool from Microsoft found here:

https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...Fsoftware-download%2Fwindows10&token=FS4hgkvk

Once, downloaded and u run it, simply choose "Upgrade this PC now" It will download windows 10 and run the update. This is NOT a clean install. just another way to upgrade.

RobinPaul

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys,

For those having problems activating Windows due to the message: Connect to the internet. Do these steps and it will activate:

1. download a Keyfinder
2. look for the key (the Windows 10 version) and write or copy it
3. Disable antivirus
4. Click: Change Product Key
5. Fill in the Product Key you wrote down or copied (the last 5 numbers/letter should be the same as what Windows 10 gave)
6. Follow the instruction
7. Done
8. Enable Antivirus again.

​This Worked for me last night.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Ok, the pc that I used the Media Creation Tool to update, after failing to activate all day complaining that it was an invalid key, final activated.

That's good to hear!

On the other hand, it's also frustrating, since it means everything you were told by MS support staff was incorrect (for those reading along, Scorpio5x0 shared the contents of that discussion with me via PM), which somewhat lead us on a wild goose chase.

Basically:

• there is nothing wrong with the ISO.
  • there is nothing wrong with the media creation tool. Using it to do an in-place upgrade also works fine.
  • as long as the rules laid out in this FAQ are followed, overloaded activation servers are the only problem any of us ever had.
You agree?

shreyas24

Jul 11, 2014
Visit site
I would like to add the following to #3 of the Faq as I tried everything and it did not work.

How I got my pc upgraded was by downloading the Media Creation tool from Microsoft found here:

https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...Fsoftware-download%2Fwindows10&token=dGbkVlEh

Once, downloaded and u run it, simply choose "Upgrade this PC now" It will download windows 10 and run the update. This is NOT a clean install. just another way to upgrade.

Did you require a key for this method of just upgrading to windows 10. And is it safe to use the tool?

Scorpio5x0

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
That's good to hear!

On the other hand, it's also frustrating, since it means everything you were told by MS support staff was incorrect (for those reading along, Scorpio5x0 shared the contents of that discussion with me via PM), which somewhat lead us on a wild goose chase.

Basically:

• there is nothing wrong with the ISO.
  • there is nothing wrong with the media creation tool. Using it to do an in-place upgrade also works fine.
  • as long as the rules laid out in this FAQ are followed, overloaded activation servers are the only problem any of us ever had.
You agree?

Based on everything I did last night, I would say MS was at least correct when they told me there was a glitch with the ISO file. My guinea pig pc would not activate at any point. I spent most of the night Binging possible solutions and trying different things. As soon as I ran the sfc command, within seconds it activated. I am guessing whatever was holding up the activation was kick started by the sfc command. After successfully activating that pc, I went ahead and installed via the Media Creation Tool onto my primary pc. After installation, I had the same activation error. So I proceeded to run the sfc command and again within seconds I was able to activate.

Even managed to do a clean install over night with the first pc and had no issues with activation. Before you do the clean install, I would recommend downloading and installing Belarc Advisor. This will provide you the Windows 10 product key. Once you have the product key in hand, go head and do a clean install. The install process did ask me for the key. And, although, you can skip that page, and more than likely the key will come across as soon as you sign in with your Microsoft account, I didn't want to take a chance. I entered the key, went through the clean install process and Windows 10 was activated as soon as it finished installing.

Last edited:

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Before you do the clean install, I would recommend downloading and installing Belarc Advisor. This will provide you the Windows 10 product key. Once you have the product key in hand, go head and do a clean install. The install process did ask me for the key. And, although, you can skip that page, and more than likely the key will come across as soon as you sign in with your Microsoft account, I didn't want to take a chance. I entered the key, went through the clean install process and Windows 10 was activated as soon as it finished installing.

If the key wasn't generated by MS during the upgrade, it won't be accepted during installation. If the key was generated by MS, then it's already stored in the cloud.

I understand the reassurance-factor this provides, but technically I don't really see the point.

Scorpio5x0

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
If the key wasn't generated by MS during the upgrade, it won't be accepted during installation. If the key was generated by MS, then it's already stored in the cloud.

I understand the reassurance-factor this provides, but technically I don't really see the point.

I think it was more about making me feel better after literally working on the issue for about 16 hours. Made me comfortable knowing that I had something in my hand. I also wanted to make sure that, in fact, a product key was generated that was different then the Windows 7 key. It was part me wanting to sort out if the issue was that the Windows 7 key wasn't converting or the converted key just wasn't getting validated.

shreyas24

Jul 11, 2014
Visit site
I downloaded the media creation tool on my pc. However when I select the upgrade this pc option, it just shows me something happened. Any solution to this. I don't want to create an ISO or DVD. plz help

vikash singh1

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
Based on everything I did last night, I would say MS was at least correct when they told me there was a glitch with the ISO file. My guinea pig pc would not activate at any point. I spent most of the night Binging possible solutions and trying different things. As soon as I ran the sfc command, within seconds it activated. I am guessing whatever was holding up the activation was kick started by the sfc command. After successfully activating that pc, I went ahead and installed via the Media Creation Tool onto my primary pc. After installation, I had the same activation error. So I proceeded to run the sfc command and again within seconds I was able to activate.

Even managed to do a clean install over night with the first pc and had no issues with activation. Before you do the clean install, I would recommend downloading and installing Belarc Advisor. This will provide you the Windows 10 product key. Once you have the product key in hand, go head and do a clean install. The install process did ask me for the key. And, although, you can skip that page, and more than likely the key will come across as soon as you sign in with your Microsoft account, I didn't want to take a chance. I entered the key, went through the clean install process and Windows 10 was activated as soon as it finished installing.

What was the sfc command that u used/?

WindowsX

Jul 31, 2015
Visit site
If you think any other questions should be included in this FAQ, please mention it below and I'll see what I can do.

1. Can I activate W10 using my W8.x or W7 license key?

b) doing an in-place upgrad of your genuine and activated W8.x or W7 installation

Option (b) does the following:

a) creates a new W10 license key based on your existing/active/installed license key
b) associates that new W10 license key with your hardware and your Microsoft account
c) stores the W10 license key in the cloud

From here on out (for the machine you installed W10 onto) W10 will no longer require you to provide any key for activation purposes. Instead, you'll just be asked to sign in to your Microsoft account which, if it hasn't already occurred, will activate your W10 installation.

After having done the above, you can also clean-install W10 from USB thumb drive or DVD without requiring a license key.

How will this system handle, in the cloud, multiple windows activation codes for each Microsoft account?

In other words, how will it distinguish which piece of hardware you are using? The way you put it, all someone needs to activate a copy of windows 10 is someone else's MS account info. And if it does "learn" a piece of hardware on the machine, what do you do when you replace that piece? Are you just SOL and have to BUY another key?

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
How will this system handle, in the cloud, multiple windows activation codes for each Microsoft account?

In other words, how will it distinguish which piece of hardware you are using? The way you put it, all someone needs to activate a copy of windows 10 is someone else's MS account info. And if it does "learn" a piece of hardware on the machine, what do you do when you replace that piece? Are you just SOL and have to BUY another key?

To be honest I don't fully understand MS's thinking here. They have yet to clarify it.

Windows creates a hash across your hardware, in particular your network adapter's MAC address and other motherboard components. That is what I mean when I say your W10 license is associated with your hardware. Swapping storage devices or other less essential components won't be a problem. Swapping your motherboard probably will be. MS states very clearly, pretty much everywhere, that your W10 license is valid for the lifetime of your device. That statement only makes sense if your W10 license is tied to your device. It is...

This is all fine and dandy for an OEM license, which has always been tied to specific hardware. I don't know how this works for those of us with retail licenses. At least theoretically, yes, you're expected to get a new license if you get a new machine. I suspect this will ultimately come down to how lenient MS is handling reactivation requests from people who upgraded from retail licenses...

This is unfortunately all speculation however. I don't really know.

bigBR

Jul 31, 2015
Visit site
I have Dell Latitude 3540 laptop which was earlier upgraded to Windows 8.1 Pro. Dell does not provide the Product Key. Windows update was reserved but the schedule of arrival of update for my laptop was not known.
I got to know the Microsoft site giving the download of the ISO file for the upgrade. First tried to upgrade inline but "Something Happened".
Tried the other option, created a DVD and booting through the DVD. Got stuck up with the Product Key. Dell not forthcoming with the help on product key, I extracted the ISO file into a folder on another partition and ran the setup.exe from there with upgrade and keep the setting and apps option.
Upgrade was successful and the Windows 10 is activated.

Last edited:

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Tried the other option, created a DVD and booting through the DVD. Got stuck up with the Product Key. Dell not forthcoming with the help on product key, I extracted the ISO file into a folder on another partition and ran the setup.exe from there with upgrade and keep the setting and apps option.

Upgrade was successful and the Windows is activated.

And the moral of this story is (as explained in the first post in this thread):

As long as you do an in-place upgrade from W7.1 or W8.x you'll be fine.

You were lucky that your attempt to install W10 from DVD was unsuccessful. Had it worked, you'd now be screwed, as you'd be sitting there with a W10 installation that can't be activated.

Last edited:

Santhosh Kumar KVS

Jul 31, 2015
Visit site
Hi,

I am little confused here.

As per my understanding, there are 4 options to upgrade to Win10

1. Upgrade through Windows update as soon as we get the notification automatically.
2. Upgrade through Windows media creation tool by selecting the Upgrade this PC now option.
3. Upgrade by doing the clean install after downloading the respective ISO.
4. Manually force the update by typing the specific command in the cmd prompt.

Need to get clarified, in which of the above cases after upgrading to Win10, the license is not activated.

If the license is not activated now, will it be done in coming days?. Will this issue be resolved anyways...

what will be right option as of now?

Thanks

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
^ You are confusing things that are entirely unrelated to each other.

An in-place upgrade can be done:

- using Windows online update
- using the media creation tool
- using an ISO, DVD or USB drive

That you do an in-place upgrade at least once is the only thing that matters. Nothing else.

The last two options can also be used to do a clean install. That will only result in an activated W10 installation if you've already done an in-place upgrade beforehand.

Forcing an update to W10 on a machine that isn't yet scheduled by MS to do so is of no relevance to the license activation issue.

WindowsX

Jul 31, 2015
Visit site
I did an "in-place" upgrade on my laptop from a DVD I created from my desktop. Everything went swimmingly and W10 is activated. I have signed in and verified my MS account on this laptop. Am I safe to attempt a clean install? W10 is working ok, but the laptop was a bit "buggy" before the upgrade, and it still is with W10-- a fresh install is definitely in order. I just don't want to screw this up...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb