Windows 10 Activation/Upgrade/Clean Install FAQ

Status
Not open for further replies.

netmann

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
I still cannot make 2 of the local accounts log in to the Microsoft account. I have now successfully done this on 5 computers and failed on only one. Same 3 local accounts and same 3 Microsoft accounts. On one machine, only 1 of the accounts were successful.

It did not work for me. I reset the Advanced settings in IE. I checked on and off the TLS boxes. With them unchecked, I cannot even enter the Microsoft account information. With them checked on I get through the process of entering my Microsoft account information, then entering my local account password. As soon as I click next it goes straight to the account settings page with no effect.

I even reset to the earliest restore point I had. It didn't work. I have tried to run secpol.msc, but it does not exist on my machine.

I am convinced that my work email made this happen when I let it change the security settings. I have deleted that account, but I do not know how to undo the changes.

Any insight on this would be appreciated.

I suggest to clean the registry with a registry tool on the faulty machine.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
So I'm running WP build 10159 and am trying to clean install using ISO. At the product key entry, it says we couldn't verify product key. Please check your installation media. I called Microsoft and the guy on the other end said I would "have to pay for a new license or downgrade to windows 8 and go through upgrade process" Anyone else have this problem? Solution?

No. Nobody has a solution because there is none. If you read the first post in this thread you'll also understand why...

Last edited:

eXtenZ

Jan 22, 2015
Visit site
Hi, please help me. I had a Windows 8.1 Home Edition, now after upgrade and clean install I have Windows 10 Pro. Is that right ? Or will I be in trouble in the future ? I have already activated Windows.

Dadstar0410

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
No. Nobody has a solution because there is none. If you read the first post in this thread you'll also understand why...

I read your first post (very well put together, btw). In it you state that in a few days the product key for Windows 10 will activate our unactivated version, due to servers establishing a connection with our device. However, for me, it's been five days and I'm still not activated. I used ProduKey to extract the product key both for Windows 10 and for my SP3 (built-in to device).

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I read your first post (very well put together, btw). In it you state that in a few days the product key for Windows 10 will activate our unactivated version, due to servers establishing a connection with our device. However, for me, it's been five days and I'm still not activated. I used ProduKey to extract the product key both for Windows 10 and for my SP3 (built-in to device).

Thx.

MS support staff has since provided the same information and filled in a few more of the details. Unfortunately, I have not seen anything new about error code 0xC004C003 amongst it. I'm assuming that's the error you've got, right? Let me know, and also report back on the following:

1) Under Settings / Update & Security / Activation , what does it say?
2) Under Settings / Accounts / Your Account , does it say you are signed in to your verified Microsoft Account?
3) Open an elevated command prompt and type "sfc /scannow". Does that confirm that your system is in a consistent state?
4) Is the SKU of both Windows installations (what you in-place upgraded from, and what you later clean-installed) identical? Which SKU is that? (PRO, HOME, etc)
5) Did you upgrade from an insiders preview installation, or directly from W8.x or W7.1?
6) Are you sure the installation you in-place upgraded from was genuine, activated, and that you logged onto your MS account at least once after upgrading?

Last edited:

Dadstar0410

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Thx.

MS support staff has since provided the same information and filled in a few more of the details. Unfortunately, I have not seen anything new about error code 0xC004C003 amongst it. I'm assuming that's the error you've got, right? Let me know, and also report back on the following:

1) Under Settings / Update & Security / Activation , what does it say?
2) Under Settings / Accounts / Your Account , does it say you are signed in to your verified Microsoft Account?
3) Open an elevated command prompt and type "sfc /scannow". Does that confirm that your system is in a consistent state?
4) Is the SKU of both Windows installations (what you in-place upgraded from, and what you later clean-installed) identical? Which SKU is that? (PRO, HOME, etc)
5) Did you upgrade from an insiders preview installation, or directly from W8.x or W7.1?
6) Are you sure the installation you in-place upgraded from was genuine, activated, and that you logged onto your MS account at least once after upgrading?

1) It has two buttons: First one is "Error Details" (0xC004C003). Second one is "Go to Store". That buttons takes me to a store page that tells me to buy genuine windows.
2) Yes.
3) It says that there are no integrity issues or something, I.e. no problems.
4) Yes; Pro.
5) I upgraded from Insider Preview Build 10240. I then did a clean install USB on 7/29.
6) Yes, it was genuine. I took a picture of System in Control Panel when I was on the insider build to make sure. Also, I was logged into my MS account that whole time.

Dadstar0410

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
How did you originally install the Insider Preview?

Originally?? In-place upgrade overtop (i.e. in place of Windows 8.1, making it my only OS) Windows 8.1. I had to do a clean install for one build (10133 i think) because of an issue i had with windows update. Since then, in-place upgrades until this one.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Originally?? In-place upgrade overtop (i.e. in place of Windows 8.1, making it my only OS) Windows 8.1. I had to do a clean install for one build (10133 i think) because of an issue i had with windows update. Since then, in-place upgrades until this one.

Okay. So:

W8.1 > Insider Preview x (in-place upgrade)
Insider Preview x > Insider Preview 10133 (clean install)
Since then just using online Windows Update from there on forward...

Is that right?

If so, I think that could be the problem. I read somewhere that once you in-place upgraded to the insider preview, you had to go through every Windows Update up to 10240. Only when reaching that point would your original key be updated to a W10 key. If you did a clean-install in-between, then your key wouldn't have been available to Windows when the upgrade to 10240 occurred, meaning you have no W10 key.

I have no personal experience with this myself, so I'm not positive, but I'd say that's very likely your problem.

Dadstar0410

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Okay. So:

W8.1 > Insider Preview x (in-place upgrade)
Insider Preview x > Insider Preview 10133 (clean install)
Since then just using online Windows Update from there on forward...

Is that right?

If so, I think that could be the problem. I read somewhere that once you in-place upgraded to the insider preview, you had to go through every Windows Update up to 10240. Only when reaching that point would your original key be updated to a W10 key. If you did a clean-install in-between, then your key wouldn't have been available to Windows when the upgrade to 10240 occurred, meaning you have no W10 key.

I have no personal experience with this myself, so I'm not positive, but I'd say that's very likely your problem.

So . . . What's my step from here?

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
So . . . What's my step from here?

If what I read is correct, your only option is to reinstall W8.1 and then in-place upgrade to W10 from there. Unfortunately you have no other option then to start over. Sorry.

This is something that the FAQ doesn't mention. I'm just reluctant to include stuff I haven't tested myself.

Dadstar0410

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
If what I read is correct, your only option is to reinstall W8.1 and then in-place upgrade to W10 from there. Unfortunately you have no other option then to start over. Sorry.

This is something that the FAQ doesn't mention. I'm just reluctant to include stuff I haven't tested myself.

I don't have the backup image for W8.1 (not very knowledgeable on that stuff, like UEFI/BIOS, and other IT stuff), but if there's a way I could install the default W8.1 image, I wouldn't mind doing that.

marboba

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Well to say something to that, I did the upgrade (not clean install) from the Media Creation Tool, and after Upgrading I got another product key than my previous Win8.1, so that means, that the Key-Upgrade was done. But it can't activate in the settings app and says, that I have to connect to the internet in order to do the activation. So that can't be a problem with the ISO or Media Creation Tool stuff (expect someone made a clean install), that must be something on MS side.

how did you get the new key... I tried to put in my widows 8 cd key wouldn't accept it.. then I did the other upgraded through the creation tool and I got errors ..wish I could post the pics of the errors

marboba

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
I have tried doing iso and through media creation tool kit.. I get both errors.. with the iso.. I get the cd key not legit..

with the creation tool.. it installs up to 99% and then get errors.. wish I could upload the pics I have..

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
how did you get the new key... I tried to put in my widows 8 cd key wouldn't accept it.. then I did the other upgraded through the creation tool and I got errors ..wish I could post the pics of the errors

If you'd have at least read the first post in this thread you'd understand why the W8 key isn't accepted.

Attempting to replicate any of the text you quoted makes little sense as it contains many false assumptions. The W10 key Klose91 extracted is useless, since it's a generic key that you can't do anything with.

Last edited:

Lyubomir Lazarov

Aug 4, 2015
Visit site
Hello there! So, I own a genuine Win 8 Pro PC (Toshiba preinstalled), which I upgraded to Windows 10 Pro. It activated successfully, so I went for a clean install from ISO. I skipped all key entry forms in order to let it activate automatically, yet almost 2 days later I'm stuck with error code: 0xC004C003. I will wait some more, but what should I do if it doesn't activate?

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
Anyone encounter two PCs with same product keys, used Magic Jellybean KeyFinder to extract?

Both PCs had genuine W8.1 Pro, upgraded the first then proceeded to do a fresh install on same, activated fine in both instances. Second PC, upgrade only and it too activated fine.

Would have thunk the keys generated are based off the current installs but unsure, don't want the dreaded "you computer is not genuine" message popup on my desktop lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss