Windows 10 Activation/Upgrade/Clean Install FAQ

Status
Not open for further replies.

marboba

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
so let me get this straight.. I cannot dual boot anymore.. my set up is now.. windowns 8.1 with the windows 10 on the partitioned drive..

so I have to install over my windows 8.1 on the drive?? or can I not install over the windows 10 partitioned?

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Anyone encounter two PCs with same product keys, used Magic Jellybean KeyFinder to extract?

Both PCs had genuine W8.1 Pro, upgraded the first then proceeded to do a fresh install on same, activated fine in both instances. Second PC, upgrade only and it too activated fine.

Would have thunk the keys generated are based off the current installs but unsure, don't want the dreaded "you computer is not genuine" message popup on my desktop lol.

Again... what you are trying to do is a waste of time, as we're locally all using the same generic keys. They are meaningless.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Hello there! So, I own a genuine Win 8 Pro PC (Toshiba preinstalled), which I upgraded to Windows 10 Pro. It activated successfully, so I went for a clean install from ISO. I skipped all key entry forms in order to let it activate automatically, yet almost 2 days later I'm stuck with error code: 0xC004C003. I will wait some more, but what should I do if it doesn't activate?

If you (or anyone else with problems for that matter) could start off by answering the same set of questions listed in post #106, that would be great.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
so I have to install over my windows 8.1 on the drive?? or can I not install over the windows 10 partitioned?

What about the first post do you not understand? No in-place upgrade from activated and genuine W8/W7 = no W10 key. End of story.

You can clean install W10 over your existing W10 partition as much as you want, but if you have never done an in-place upgrade from W7/W8, there will be no W10 license tied to your MS account, hence there will be no W10 license key to associate with your W10 installation, meaning it will not be activated.

marboba

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
What about the first post do you not understand? No in-place upgrade from activated and genuine W8/W7 = no W10 key. End of story.

You can clean install W10 over your existing W10 partition as much as you want, but if you have never done an in-place upgrade from W7/W8, there will be no W10 license tied to your MS account, hence there will be no W10 license key to associate with your W10 installation, meaning it will not be activated.

you don't have to be a jerk..!!!. simple questions to clarify .. I have tried every possible option and it will not upgrade

Last edited by a moderator:

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
you don't have to be a jerk..!!!. simple questions to clarify .. I have tried every possible option and it will not upgrade

I honestly don't understand why the first post didn't already clarify your question. Although it's all there, I've been repeating the same thing on every page since then.

I'm not sure if it's really not clear or if people aren't willing to go through the effort of reading it. The second deserves some ridicule! If it's the first I'd appreciate some pointers on how to improve it, so I'm no longer constantly having to repeat myself.

Think about it for a bit and I'm sure you'll understand. I'm glad to help. I expect others to at least read the first post before jumping in however. I don't think that's expecting too much.

If you still need help, ask away...

Last edited:

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
I honestly don't understand why the first post didn't already clarify your question. Although it's all there, I've been repeating the same thing on every page since then.

I'm not sure if it's really not clear or if people aren't willing to go through the effort of reading it. The second deserves some ridicule! If it's the first I'd appreciate some pointers on how to improve it, so I'm no longer constantly having to repeat myself.

Think about it for a bit and I'm sure you'll understand. I'm glad to help. I expect others to at least read the first post before jumping in however. I don't think that's expecting too much.

If you still need help, ask away...

Well let me take a stab at answering "WHY"... First off nobody realized this was a "one-manned ship", secondly, I've had instances where the solutions to upgrading and installing you've posted here did not work, period (no rhyme or reason), thirdly and the most important one, "we're all human".... At least I think we are LOL.

All I can say is your time and effort are very much appreciated but you could not honestly have thought this wouldn't' happen did you, the experts have a hard time understanding where noobies/those inexperienced are coming from but I totally do because it happens daily and I've been there myself, in the end we all need to lighten up a little and if something becomes a tad too overwhelming then it's time to "shut er down".

And one other thing... This W10 upgrade has been far from stellar and I can attest to that, having 7 PC's/devices and going through the rigours of getting it done but not, far off from the days past, I started in the DOS days and everything in between and can honestly say this has been a step backwards... That may very well change I'm sure but doesn't negate what was.

Last edited:

gentry33

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
I have an Asus K53E running OEM Windows 7 SP1 that doesn't get used as often as it should (bought it for my wife and I usually work at my desktop). WU has been prompting me to install IE 11, but it fails every time. Fix it repair tool tells me I have a corrupt or missing file in windows update though I have been able to install all other updates, sometimes having to run the update repair tool. (Yes I tried that before fix it tool). To the point, wondering if I will be able to update this machine to Windows 10 without having to jump through too many hoops. The laptop is nearly 4 years old, should I continue to run it as is?

Francisc Cristian

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
I have two partitions. one for the system and one for my personal files.

if I install win10, do I need to delete both partitions or I can just format the system one and install win10 there without loosing my data from the other partition?

thanks

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
I have an Asus K53E running OEM Windows 7 SP1 that doesn't get used as often as it should (bought it for my wife and I usually work at my desktop). WU has been prompting me to install IE 11, but it fails every time. Fix it repair tool tells me I have a corrupt or missing file in windows update though I have been able to install all other updates, sometimes having to run the update repair tool. (Yes I tried that before fix it tool). To the point, wondering if I will be able to update this machine to Windows 10 without having to jump through too many hoops. The laptop is nearly 4 years old, should I continue to run it as is?

Jumping through hoops is an unknown when it comes to W10, you won't know until you try.

If it were me, I'd be inclined to do a "fresh install" of W7 using "system recovery" (if that's an option) before attempting an upgrade, this will return your PC back to factory defaults (just the way it came out of the box), you'll lose anything installed on it such as personal files, 3rd party programs etc so backing up of your data is highly recommended, if you choose to go this route try the W10 upgrade right after the refresh of 7 and before reinstalling your files/programs.

The reason I suggest the above is that you mention there are already some issues, if you upgrade to W10 these problems could migrate over and even be compounded. As well, it is always a good thing to make sure your devices software/drivers are up-to-date and the most recent, you can do this by visiting your PCs manufactures website and sourcing out the latest software/drivers.

In the end there is no guarantee what I mentioned above will allow for a pain-free upgrade but you'll be assured you covered most of the basis to better your chances.

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
I have two partitions. one for the system and one for my personal files.

if I install win10, do I need to delete both partitions or I can just format the system one and install win10 there without loosing my data from the other partition?

thanks

It should have no bearing on your data partition, only the C: drive where your present OS resides, just be vigilant and pay close attention to what the PC is asking or telling you during the upgrade before accepting anything.

As for a "fresh" install of W10, of course after you've performed an upgrade first, it may ask if you want to format/wipe the second partition (it did for me), there is an option to select "NO", the reason to pay attention.

Last edited:

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
First off nobody realized this was a "one-manned ship".
Even if it was I don't think that makes a difference.

secondly, I've had instances where the solutions to upgrading and installing you've posted here did not work, period (no rhyme or reason).
I'm not trying to solve every possible issue. I'm concentrating only on the activation issues which have been a common problem for people doing clean-installs. That accounts for almost 50% of the the installation problems being reported on WCentral. The first two hours after W10 became available made it clear this is what a FAQ (NOT a general "how to install W10 correctly" thread) needed to be about.

This FAQ isn't a solution to anything. It's NOT a step-by-step guide. Many articles try to be, and end up being long and complicated. If a step-by-step guide doesn't cover a particular situation a person is experiencing, it's often of no help at all.

Instead of listing step-by-step instructions, this FAQ instead attempts to explain how things work! That turns out to be surprisingly simple. IMHO it's a lot more helpful than the guides that treat people like monkeys who are incapable of grasping anything more technical than a "do A, then B and finally C".

Using this understanding, even novices can figure out why they can't activate W10 and what they must do to fix it. If you've NOT got an activation related (frequently asked) question however, then there are many other threads to go explore.

thirdly and the most important one, "we're all human".... At least I think we are LOL.
If that's what it is, so be it. I still think there ought to be things that can be improved though.

Last edited:

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
WU has been prompting me to install IE 11, but it fails every time. Fix it repair tool tells me I have a corrupt or missing file in windows update though I have been able to install all other updates, sometimes having to run the update repair tool. (Yes I tried that before fix it tool). To the point, wondering if I will be able to update this machine to Windows 10 without having to jump through too many hoops. The laptop is nearly 4 years old, should I continue to run it as is?

Besides reinstalling W7, you could also just try to repair it. That entails booting W7 from installation media and then selecting the "repair Windows" option.

After repairing I'd try to update IE. If that still doesn't work I'd risk an in-place upgrade to W10 first anyway. If the in-place upgrade succeeds I'd clean install W10 afterwards. If the in-place upgrade fails I'd clean install W7 and then repeat the in-place upgrade to W10.

If your machine runs W7 fine it will also have no problem running W10.

Under all circumstances, make sure you prepare for an eventual disaster scenario, by making a backup of all your personal data before upgrading. That way you won't lose anything important no matter what you do, or what happens. It's worth the peace of mind, even if everything ends up going smoothly.

Last edited:

Norman Marshall

Jan 20, 2015
Visit site
I have an x86 version of Win7 on my laptop, but i want to load the x64 version of windows 10.
How can i go about the installation? As far as i understand, i would need to clean install win 10?!

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I have an x86 version of Win7 on my laptop, but i want to load the x64 version of windows 10.
How can i go about the installation? As far as i understand, i would need to clean install win 10?!

Correct. Just be certain you have a 64bit CPU and don't forget to do the in-place upgrade first.

Norman Marshall

Jan 20, 2015
Visit site
I do have a 64bit cpu yes. Can i do the in place upgrade on x86, then do a clean install on x64? wont it give me issues? I realise this might seem like a stupid post, but im pretty sure my key is only for x86?!

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I do have a 64bit cpu yes. Can i do the in place upgrade on x86, then do a clean install on x64? wont it give me issues? I realise this might seem like a stupid post, but im pretty sure my key is only for x86?!

I agree with Rasetech... not a stupid question :wink:

Any Windows license key works for both 32bit and 64bit versions of that particular Windows SKU.

Either way, your current key is irrelevant for the W10 installation. What matters is the upgraded key that is stored in the cloud as part of your MS account. That new W10 key will also work for both 32bit and 64bit W10 installations.

anon(9333603)

Feb 20, 2015
Visit site
Will Windows 10 activate If I use Windows Local account instead of signing in with Microsoft account? Is Microsoft account need in order to activate Windows 10?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss