Windows 10 Activation/Upgrade/Clean Install FAQ

Status
Not open for further replies.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I entered my SP3's default product key, and that worked, but after that, Windows Setup says "Something Happened: Setup failed to determine supported install choices." What does that mean, and how do I solve this problem? There weren't any alternate options for me to choose; everything I selected was the only option available.

I've never owned or heard of a computing device where MS' standard installation media didn't work. That being said, MS does have a site specifically for SP3 support, where it's possible to download recovery media specifically for the SP3. That's probably what I'd try:

Download a recovery image for Microsoft Surface

If that doesn't work I'd try the SP3 forums on this site and MS support.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
The blanket statement, of you can just reinstall for a fresh build is not a valid one.

It is valid, but only in regard to how activation occurs. That's what this thread is about.

If you can't even get W10 to install correctly, then that is an entirely different matter. Nobody is so insane as to claim with certainty, that there exists not a single compatibility issue between W10 and the thousands of devices that manufacturers have brought to market over the last decade. There are bound to be issues somewhere. Most often it's just about learning how to install W10 correctly on your particular device. That's not what this thread is about.

You've just misunderstood the clean-install claim this thread is making. It's primarily about what we must consider before a clean-install will activate as expected. Obviously, none of that applies if you can't get W10 to install at all.

Last edited:

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
ok a silly queston..how to save the w10 key to the cloud? is there a manual way or just copy paste?

You must be logged into your MS account while doing the in-place upgrade to W10 (or at the very least login afterwards). That's what puts the W10 key into the cloud. It's not possible to do that any other way.

marboba

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
So, you
1) did a clean-install of W8.1, and installed nothing else beyond what the Windows installer installed
2) installed all updates from WU and reserved W10 again
3) you allowed it to download and then did the W10 update via WU
4) then you got this error message

Is that correct?

How large is the partition you are installing Windows onto?
How much RAM have you got?
So, you
1) did a clean-install of W8.1, and installed nothing else beyond what the Windows installer installed
windows 8 to 8.1 update
2) installed all updates from WU and reserved W10 again
yes
3) you allowed it to download and then did the W10 update via WU
yes
4) then you got this error message

Is that correct?
yes

How large is the partition you are installing Windows onto?
How much RAM have you got?

4 gig

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
^ Well, you're in the same boat as one or two others here. The problem has nothing to do with activation but with the fact that you can't get W8/W10 installed correctly. Since I don't know anything about your device there isn't much I can tell you.

It's not clear to me if your W8.0 or W8.1 installation might already be screwed up, or if sfc only uncovers errors after the update to W10. If it's already screwed up before the update, then that's what you must resolve before continuing to do the W10 update. If it's really the W10 update that screws up your installation than I'd say you're out of luck, meaning your best bet is to wait for an updated version of W10.

Here are some things I would likely try in your position:

- Get installation media that installs W8.1 directly (You can use generic keys for installation and your W8.0 key for activation).
- Before installing W8.1 ensure you thoroughly format (not a quick format) the installation partition to NTFS.
- Unplug all peripherals except keyboard and mouse.
- Before installing W8.1 reset your BIOS to default values.
- After installing W8.1 also install the latest motherboard drivers (download from motherboard manufacturer or you device's OEM)
- Ensure sfc /scannow returns no errors. If it does something is already screwed up, in which case you need to fix that BEFORE doing the update to W10. Check the mentioned log file to see what is wrong.

Sorry I can't help more.

marboba

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
^ Well, you're in the same boat as one or two others here. The problem has nothing to do with activation but with the fact that you can't get W8/W10 installed correctly. Since I don't know anything about your device there isn't much I can tell you.

It's not clear to me if your W8.0 or W8.1 installation might already be screwed up, or if sfc only uncovers errors after the update to W10. If it's already screwed up before the update, then that's what you must resolve before continuing to do the W10 update. If it's really the W10 update that screws up your installation than I'd say you're out of luck, meaning your best bet is to wait for an updated version of W10.

Here are some things I would likely try in your position:

- Get installation media that installs W8.1 directly (You can use generic keys for installation and your W8.0 key for activation).
- Before installing W8.1 ensure you thoroughly format (not a quick format) the installation partition to NTFS.
- Unplug all peripherals except keyboard and mouse.
- Before installing W8.1 reset your BIOS to default values.
- After installing W8.1 also install the latest motherboard drivers (download from motherboard manufacturer or you device's OEM)
- Ensure sfc /scannow returns no errors. If it does something is already screwed up, in which case you need to fix that BEFORE doing the update to W10. Check the mentioned log file to see what is wrong.

Sorry I can't help more.

thanks for your help.

I do have a copy of windows 7 ultimate that I have for this machine.. maybe I can install that on the partitioned drive and the upgrade that ..

I wonder if I can still dual boot between 8.1 and 7 and up grade the 7 to 10.

klose91

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
So, a little Update. As I told in in post's ages ago, I had trouble with activating Windows after upgrading (no clean install), using the Media Creation Tool. As I read today, that activation issues on Windows were solved, I tried to use the product key I got after upgrading from 8 to 10, and now it's activated, so there was no problem with the Media Creation Tool to begin with, expect people did an clean install instead of using the upgrade option which was offered by the tool, and so it wasn't a generic key that was created, it was the upgraded key, else it wouldn't activate Windows. ^^

That's what I wanted to tell, after having the issues and the MCT was blamed for it, don't know, if somebody already told about it in the other posts. ^^

Last edited:

lucky4ansh

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
I have windows 8.1 single language installed. I want to know which version should I upgrade to? In the media centre tool, I have options such as Pro, Home, Home Single Language. Do I have to upgrade it to the Home Single Language or Home version?

poit57

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
The original post of this thread refers to requiring a Microsoft account to associate your hardware with your Windows 10 license during in-place upgrades from Windows 7 and 8.1. This is not true according to both my own experience with reinstallation and the information that was reported at the launch of Windows 10.

My mother's computer had an issue with Windows 7 that required a clean install prior to upgrading to Windows 10. Once I completed the installation of Windows 7 and activated, I upgraded this computer to Windows 10. Windows 10 was still just using the local account created during the Windows 7 install. Once I verified that Windows 10 was activated, I wiped the hard drive and did a clean installation of Windows 10. As soon as the computer was connected to the internet, it automatically activated. At no point in this process was a Microsoft account ever required.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
The original post of this thread refers to requiring a Microsoft account to associate your hardware with your Windows 10 license during in-place upgrades from Windows 7 and 8.1. This is not true according to both my own experience with reinstallation and the information that was reported at the launch of Windows 10.

My mother's computer had an issue with Windows 7 that required a clean install prior to upgrading to Windows 10. Once I completed the installation of Windows 7 and activated, I upgraded this computer to Windows 10. Windows 10 was still just using the local account created during the Windows 7 install. Once I verified that Windows 10 was activated, I wiped the hard drive and did a clean installation of Windows 10. As soon as the computer was connected to the internet, it automatically activated. At no point in this process was a Microsoft account ever required.

It's possible that a functional internet connection is all MS requires to store your license key in the cloud, and that the key is only associated with your account if you have an MS account. I read contradictory information about this back when W10 was released, so I decided to err on the safe side by mentioning the account, but I believe you are likely correct. If someone else can also confirm I'll see what I can do about correcting the first post. Thanks for mentioning it!

Either way though, you really are only getting half of what W10 has to offer without an MS account, at least if your PC isn't the only computing device you use.

Dadstar0410

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
I've never owned or heard of a computing device where MS' standard installation media didn't work. That being said, MS does have a site specifically for SP3 support, where it's possible to download recovery media specifically for the SP3. That's probably what I'd try:

Download a recovery image for Microsoft Surface

If that doesn't work I'd try the SP3 forums on this site and MS support.

This worked!! After downloading the zip file for the 8.1 recovery image for SP3, then copying the compressed files over to a USB, I followed the steps exactly, and everything worked out great. As I type this, I'm on activated 8.1 installing 107 updates. And get this: When I booted it up, it asked me if I wanted the free upgrade to Windows 10!! WOO! Couldn't be happier right now. Thanks a5cent!

poit57

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
Either way though, you really are only getting half of what W10 has to offer without an MS account, at least if your PC isn't the only computing device you use.

I agree. My mother's computer referenced in my post above is now connected using her Microsoft account, but since I needed to do a clean install of Windows 7 anyway on her computer, I tested the entire process of a clean Windows 10 install without using one.

This article is the clearest explanation of the activation process that I came across at the Windows 10 launch. Here is the breakdown:

The basic process is that when you perform an upgrade to Windows 10 (over a genuine Windows 7 or 8.1 system), an anonymous and unique hardware hash is generated that is based on your systems hardware configuration. Since it is anonymous, you do not have to use a Microsoft Account. This hardware hash is generated even if you choose to install Windows 10 with a Local Account.

That same hardware hash is sent to Microsoft servers and a corresponding certificate is created to validate your systems activation status. From this point forward any future installs, including one where you delete all partitions and install Windows 10 from scratch, will be activated because of that unique hardware hash and the corresponding certificate. Since it is all stored on Microsoft?s servers there is no reason for us to keep a backup either.

Holybeer

Aug 13, 2015
Visit site
Well.

I did a clean install of Windows 10. I did it by the media creation tool. For many reasons, I couldn't upgrade W10 with the WU because my HDD had issues.. So I erased W7, and installed W10 through the MCT. Like everyone, I have the 0xc004c003 error. I called MS technical support twice. The first guy told me that they were aware of the issue and a patch / fixit would fix the issue. I called this afternoon, the second guy told me that it was impossible to activate W10 if you did a clean install of W10.

I didn't do my recovery tool of W7 because my HDD was broken. I did a slmgr /ato /rearm /rilc but did nothing at all. My W10 is installed, no more HDD issues, but it's not activated. And it really pisses me off.

Last edited by a moderator:

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Well.

I did a clean install of Windows 10. I did it by the media creation tool. For many reasons, I couldn't upgrade W10 with the WU because my HDD had issues.. So I erased W7, and installed W10 through the MCT. Like everyone, I have the 0xc004c003 error. I called MS technical support twice. The first guy told me that they were aware of the issue and a patch / fixit would fix the issue. I called this afternoon, the second guy told me that it was impossible to activate W10 if you did a clean install of W10.

I didn't do my recovery tool of W7 because my HDD was broken. I did a slmgr /ato /rearm /rilc but did nothing at all. My W10 is installed, no more HDD issues, but it's not activated. And it really pisses me off.

They are both correct. See the first post in this thread.

Holybeer

Aug 13, 2015
Visit site
They are both correct. See the first post in this thread.

b) doing an in-place upgrad of your genuine and activated W8.x or W7.1 installation (while being logged into your MS account)

Option (b) does the following:

a) creates a new W10 license key based on your existing/active/installed license key
b) associates that new W10 license key with your hardware and your Microsoft account
c) stores the W10 license key in the cloud

What does that mean ? ( I'm french, don't understand the expression " in-place upgrade " lel )

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
What does that mean ? ( I'm french, don't understand the expression " in-place upgrade " lel )

http://encyclopedia2.thefreedictionary.com/in-place+upgrade

With a clean install Windows Setup knows nothing about what was previously on the partition it is being installed onto, meaning it also knows nothing about the product key your existing installation used, which is why it then also can't upgrade your existing license.

Last edited:

Bill Caldwell

Aug 13, 2015
Visit site
Doing the GWX upgrade from a Windows 8.1 Pro (twice now) I have a Windows 10 Pro that is not activated.

2015-08-13_131805.jpg

Now I am stuck with the Error code: 0xC004C003
Having read the first post FAQ, do I fall under the category of item 5 even tho I did not do a clean install yet the upgrade path you see in picture above ...?
5. "Windows not activated" after clean install. Attempting activation results in error code: 0xC004C003. What now?

You're likely a victim of some of MS' activation servers being overloaded.
2015-08-13_144241.jpg

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
^ If you're 100% sure the previous installation (the one you in-place upgraded from) was genuine and activated, then ensure you have installed all W10 updates, and then wait a few days. If it then still doesn't activate call MS support.

Holybeer

Aug 13, 2015
Visit site
Oh ok. So I have to go back to Windows 7 ? ( which is impossible because I don't have anything to re-install windows 7 .. I still have my product key because it's an Asus .. )

The fact is when I tried to do the upgrade through Windows update, I got an error code. I was unable to upgrade through WU, even with the upgrade through the media creator tool. I get something " Safe_os first_boot " and went back to my W7. What can I do now ? :(

this is the reason that I had to do the clean install. Is there a way to activate Windows 10 ? By the way, I didn't understand this

" Option (b) does the following:

a) creates a new W10 license key based on your existing/active/installed license key
b) associates that new W10 license key with your hardware and your Microsoft account
c) stores the W10 license key in the cloud "

what am i supposed to do ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss