Windows 10 Activation/Upgrade/Clean Install FAQ

Status
Not open for further replies.

kenjancef

Dec 2, 2014
Visit site
Are there any error codes or messages given? The only times I've ever seen a Windows installation be deactivated after a successful activation is when there has been a significant hardware change, such as replacing the motherboard.

Yes, the dreaded 0xC004C003 error. About 15 minutes after I posted this, I tried the slmgr command, and it actually worked, said Windows was activated. I had the Surface on for a few hours and all was good. Shut it down at about 2pm, turned it on a few minutes ago (approx 8:15pm) and it now says I'm not activated again.

Being that the system is a Surface Pro 3, I don't think I'm able to replace any hardware... lol

This is getting VERY annoying!!!

poit57

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
That seems very strange. I can't find any other reports of a successful activation being deactivated without a hardware change.

I know its not ideal because of the extra time that it would take, but you might have to restore the original Windows 8 image and start the upgrade process form the beginning. I don't have a SP3, but I understand that the factory image can be downloaded from Microsoft.

Str0bes

Aug 18, 2015
Visit site
Still a bit confused on these upgrade paths so I apologize in advance if the answer to my question was in the first post. I don't believe I saw one though.

I recently upgraded an old HP Pavilion from 2009 that originally came with Vista. I later upgraded to Windows 7 from a retail copy a few months later doing a clean install, then paid the $40 for Windows 8 a few years later. Finally I just installed Windows 10 on it a few days ago.

I also used Bootcamp to install Windows 10 on my Mac. Later I tried uninstalling the product key from the Pavilion and using it on the Mac copy but no dice. To my understanding, retail copies include transfer rights to another computer. Was my Windows 7 retail license lost when I upgraded to Windows 8 and then 10? If it comes down to it I'll just buy a product key from the store, but it'd be nice to save $200 if I could!

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I also used Bootcamp to install Windows 10 on my Mac. Later I tried uninstalling the product key from the Pavilion and using it on the Mac copy but no dice. To my understanding, retail copies include transfer rights to another computer. Was my Windows 7 retail license lost when I upgraded to Windows 8 and then 10? If it comes down to it I'll just buy a product key from the store, but it'd be nice to save $200 if I could!

Your free W10 upgrade is tied to the hardware you initially did the upgrade on. If that was on your Pavilion, then you won't be able to use it on your Mac. In your shoes I would call MS however, explain the situation, and see if they would allow you to move the license over. I don't know that they will, but it's worth a shot.

Note however that you then won't be able to use W10 on your Pavilion however. It's either one or the other, not both.

marboba

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
I purchased a asus tablet last night.. went with some updates on 8.1 first.. then got to the windows 10 upgrade.. wow.. it went smooth.. now I know how it looks.. gotta figure out still whats wrong with my main pc.

just got an email from Microsoft.. someone from Redmond calling me tomorrow.. hopefully we can figure it out..

b0blight

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
I would like to check, if the upgrade prompt comes up, and after agreeing to the terms and conditions, it gives me the option to Schedule the Upgrade to a later date, or Restart Now. If I schedule it to another day, and on that day, at the time I specify, will it restart automatically ? Or will it prompt me again ? Thanks !

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
No. The computer needs to be on at the time. I have not tested, but assume it's okay if the computer is in hibernation mode though. Schedule the update fot 3:00 AM and when you awake it will be all done.

DigitalAviator

Sep 4, 2015
Visit site
Re: Unable to activate Windows 10 Pro after clean install (error code: 0xC004C003)

I've just spent 24 hours trying to get a clean install of Windows 10 activated and yep, their errors. I've spent hours on the phone to tech support and keep getting bounced back and forth between support techs in India and other locations. No one is taking responsibility. Allegedly I may be issued with a new Activation Key but I am not sure as I've been getting different stories.

The thing that annoys me is I was with the Windows 10 Preview program and it was all working. Now when I go to try and upgrade my Windows 8/8.1 system to a clean install after following all upgrade path instructions to a T, it's failing with Error Code: 0xC004C003

I've been through this process twice now, once with local login on my system and the next time with my windows account and both have the exact same result. Here's the log of what I've spent the last 12 hours doing...

Step 1 - Install Windows 8.0 Clean
Step 2 - Install Network Card Drivers
Step 3 - Activate Windows 8.0
Step 4 - Backup Image of Windows 8.0 Master HDD
Step 5 - Windows 8 Freezes - Hard Reboot frown emoticon not a good sign
Step 6 - Download Updates for Windows Update Program
Step 7 - Install KB2871389 and reboot
Step 8 - Install Belarc Advisor and log Activation Key
Step 9 - Backup Image of Windows 8.0 Master HDD with KB2871389
Step 10 - Create Windows 8.1 install USB
Step 11 - Add ei.cfg to Windows 8.1 USB to bypass registration until startup (as per Microsoft KB)
Step 12 - Run Windows 8.1 USB Installer (set to Not Keep Anything)
Step 13 - Wait for system to reboot several times during install
Step 14 - Continue through custom installation
Step 15 - Press skip when reaching the first Product Key page
Step 16 - Continue set up
Step 17 - Ensure logged in via Microsoft account
Step 18 - Check Activation
Step 19 - Activate Windows 8.1 with Windows 8 Key
Step 20 - Set Date & Time Correctly (so Windows Store works)
Step 21 - Reinstall Belarc Advisor and log Activation Key
Step 22 - Backup Image of Windows 8.1 Master HDD
Step 23 - Run Windows 10 USB Installer (set to Not Keep Anything)
Step 24 - Wait for system to reboot several times during install
Step 25 - Set up Windows 10 as per custom installation prompts
Step 26 - Resize Screens and Text
Step 27 - Logout and Login
Step 28 - Reinstall Belarc Advisor and log Activation Key
Step 29 - Backup Image of Windows 10 Update HDD
Step 30 - Reconfigure Power Settings and Admin Stuff
Step 31 - Rename Computer and Reboot
Step 32 - Reboot several times while display drivers update
Step 33 - Run Belarc Advisor again to verify everything
Step 34 - Reboot and run Windows 10 Installer
Step 35 - Press Skip on Registration Key window
Step 36 - Delete former c: drive partitions to bring drive back to clean condition
Step 37 - Continue install (and hope this works this time)
Step 38 - Backup Image of Windows 10 Master HDD
Step 39 - Dismiss Windows Activation Screen (bottom left)
Step 40 - Log into WiFi network
Step 41 - Complete Custom Windows Setup screens
Step 42 - Wait for Windows 10 to Reboot
Step 43 - Continue Custom Windows Setup screens
Step 44 - Log in with Microsoft Account and Add Security
Step 45 - Wait for Windows 10 to finish setting up
Step 46 - Check Activation and FAIL!!! Error code: 0xC004C003

DigitalAviator

Sep 4, 2015
Visit site
Re: Unable to activate Windows 10 Pro after clean install (error code: 0xC004C003)

I've just spent 24 hours trying to get a clean install of Windows 10 activated and yep, their errors. I've spent hours on the phone to tech support and keep getting bounced back and forth between support techs in India and other locations. No one is taking responsibility. Allegedly I may be issued with a new Activation Key but I am not sure as I've been getting different stories.

The thing that annoys me is I was with the Windows 10 Preview program and it was all working. Now when I go to try and upgrade my Windows 8/8.1 system to a clean install after following all upgrade path instructions to a T, it's failing with Error Code: 0xC004C003

I've been through this process twice now, once with local login on my system and the next time with my windows account and both have the exact same result. Here's the log of what I've spent the last 12 hours doing...

Step 1 - Install Windows 8.0 Clean
Step 2 - Install Network Card Drivers
Step 3 - Activate Windows 8.0
Step 4 - Backup Image of Windows 8.0 Master HDD
Step 5 - Windows 8 Freezes - Hard Reboot frown emoticon not a good sign
Step 6 - Download Updates for Windows Update Program
Step 7 - Install KB2871389 and reboot
Step 8 - Install Belarc Advisor and log Activation Key
Step 9 - Backup Image of Windows 8.0 Master HDD with KB2871389
Step 10 - Create Windows 8.1 install USB
Step 11 - Add ei.cfg to Windows 8.1 USB to bypass registration until startup (as per Microsoft KB)
Step 12 - Run Windows 8.1 USB Installer (set to Not Keep Anything)
Step 13 - Wait for system to reboot several times during install
Step 14 - Continue through custom installation
Step 15 - Press skip when reaching the first Product Key page
Step 16 - Continue set up
Step 17 - Ensure logged in via Microsoft account
Step 18 - Check Activation
Step 19 - Activate Windows 8.1 with Windows 8 Key
Step 20 - Set Date & Time Correctly (so Windows Store works)
Step 21 - Reinstall Belarc Advisor and log Activation Key
Step 22 - Backup Image of Windows 8.1 Master HDD
Step 23 - Run Windows 10 USB Installer (set to Not Keep Anything)
Step 24 - Wait for system to reboot several times during install
Step 25 - Set up Windows 10 as per custom installation prompts
Step 26 - Resize Screens and Text
Step 27 - Logout and Login
Step 28 - Reinstall Belarc Advisor and log Activation Key
Step 29 - Backup Image of Windows 10 Update HDD
Step 30 - Reconfigure Power Settings and Admin Stuff
Step 31 - Rename Computer and Reboot
Step 32 - Reboot several times while display drivers update
Step 33 - Run Belarc Advisor again to verify everything
Step 34 - Reboot and run Windows 10 Installer
Step 35 - Press Skip on Registration Key window
Step 36 - Delete former c: drive partitions to bring drive back to clean condition
Step 37 - Continue install (and hope this works this time)
Step 38 - Backup Image of Windows 10 Master HDD
Step 39 - Dismiss Windows Activation Screen (bottom left)
Step 40 - Log into WiFi network
Step 41 - Complete Custom Windows Setup screens
Step 42 - Wait for Windows 10 to Reboot
Step 43 - Continue Custom Windows Setup screens
Step 44 - Log in with Microsoft Account and Add Security
Step 45 - Wait for Windows 10 to finish setting up
Step 46 - Check Activation and FAIL!!! Error code: 0xC004C003

Just a quick update to my above post. I spoke with Microsoft Support online and shared everything above. I wasn't able to grant them access to dig around my computer because of some high level NDA stuff on my system, however they did generate a new Windows 10 key for me which allowed me to activate Windows 10 fully. I'm so thankful to Microsoft's support. It seems that my initial tech support was routed through call centers in India, however once India tech support went offline and either the USA or Philippines call centers went live, I received the highest level of tech support I've received in years and it had the heart of the Microsoft I once knew. Caring, supporting their products and providing solutions. I'm a very happy customer right now, although I fear I'll have issues with my Windows 10 Preview to Windows 10 RTM activation on my other system, but I am willing to buy a whole new license for that machine if I need to.

Trkkr

Sep 8, 2015
Visit site

I concur with the last guy here, even though my way was done online. To everyone reading this, even if you haven't tried any other methods of activating, if you've clean installed and it's not activating this might be the quickest way to get you going. I'd been trying for weeks to get my clean install to activate. Tried everything under the sun to no avail. Windows 8 with MS account activated with all updates, Windows 10 in-place upgrade with MS account and all updates - activated, clean install Windows 10 with MS account - error. To save yourself a ton of time and frustration follow these instructions:

1. Go to (take out the dashes) h-tt-ps-:/-/partner.support.services.microsoft.com/en-us/contact/chat/30/ (not sure if that's the totally right link but that's the last URL I was at to get my fix). You'll need to login with your Microsoft Account.
2. That will take you to an Online Chat with a 'Microsoft Answer Tech'.I did this on Saturday afternoon. I eventually got connected to 'Jagannatha V',
3. I told him I was unable to activate a Clean install of Windows 10, how I'd done it on 3 other notebook successfully so I know my process works, etc. He asked for my Windows 8 key (mine was integrated into the BIOS so I had to use a program to get it. I used Method 1 from here: h-tt-ps-:/-/itsolutionsblog.net/3-ways-to-extract-the-windows-8-product-key/)
4. After he 'validated it' he asked for PoP. I told him it was preinstalled on my notebook but I could give him PoP of the notebook. Not sure why he needed it but he asked for it and I gave him the Sales Order # of my notebook (MSI purchased through Xotic PC if anyone's interested).
5. After that he asked for, and I gave him, remote access to my notebook.
6. He connected in provided me a new Windows 10 key, put it in a Notepad document (which I later saved) and activated it. No fuss, no muss.

I lost probably 20+ hours of my life trying to get this thing to activate and it took that guy 30 minutes to get me going (maybe an hour all in with the wait time to talk to someone). I don't see any restrictions or 'catches' with this method. I gave the guy truthful answers and it didn't cost me anything other than my time. If this saves even 1 person from the hell I went through to get to this point at least it was worth it. Good Luck!

anon(8098745)

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
I was running windows 8.1 Prox64 on my machine, as windows 10 is offered as a free upgrade to win 8.1 pro users, I decided to upgrade mine to win10.
So I reserved my copy of win 10 and upgraded my system to windows 10 pro.
But the bad news is, its not getting activated.
I am getting an error code saying my windows is not genuine.
My win 8.1 was a genuine copy.
Kindly help.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
^ I've not heard this before. Wish I could help, but I can't. Sorry. In your shoes I'd contact Microsoft support. They will be able to help.

Good luck!

Ryan Steyn

Sep 10, 2015
Visit site

I am going to second or third the motion to just contact microsoft, I just did using the mentioned link, no hassles - they verified my 8.1pro key and generated a new windows 10 key for me.

Despite all the protest about microsoft support, I think they handled my query really well and to my full satisfaction (no remote access or invoice enquiries).

MBY

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
I have been running W10 on my main hard drive after having done an in place upgrade from W7. No problems with the activation there. But I've been having problems with that hard drive so I decided to install a new drive and install Windows to it, and then selectively copy files over.

I used an installation ISO on a flash drive for this. Keep in mind, I did already have an activated copy as indicated in this thread. I wasn't able to run setup from within Windows since it would not give me an option to choose install location. So instead I ran setup from command prompt (restarted to it from recovery options). It installed fine but now won't activate. I still have my old main drive but don't know how to get my key from there (activation settings only shows partial). Could you help?

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I have been running W10 on my main hard drive after having done an in place upgrade from W7. No problems with the activation there. But I've been having problems with that hard drive so I decided to install a new drive and install Windows to it, and then selectively copy files over.

I used an installation ISO on a flash drive for this. Keep in mind, I did already have an activated copy as indicated in this thread. I wasn't able to run setup from within Windows since it would not give me an option to choose install location. So instead I ran setup from command prompt (restarted to it from recovery options). It installed fine but now won't activate. I still have my old main drive but don't know how to get my key from there (activation settings only shows partial). Could you help?

You can't get the key from your W10 installation. It exists, but it's a meaningless generic key.

That installation procedure sounds pretty borked to me. I wouldn't trust anything installed in that way, and I don't think it's worth supporting.

Insert a bootable Windows-Setup USB flash drive (created from the ISO), and then configure your device's BIOS to boot from that. Your PC will then boot from the USB drive and start running Windows-Setup. From within Windows-Setup format a drive and then install Windows onto that formatted drive. Make sure you PC is connected and can access the internet prior to doing so.

If you can't activate after that, then contact MS.

Last edited:

MBY

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
Ok I'll give that a shot. I only tried this method because I couldn't get it to boot off the USB for some reason... Maybe I selected the wrong thing in BIOS. I have a suspicion that my BIOS actually recognizes the USB ISO as a hard drive somehow.

Thanks for your suggestion. I'll let you know how it goes.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Ok I'll give that a shot. I only tried this method because I couldn't get it to boot off the USB for some reason... Maybe I selected the wrong thing in BIOS. I have a suspicion that my BIOS actually recognizes the USB ISO as a hard drive somehow.

Thanks for your suggestion. I'll let you know how it goes.

It might be worth testing on a different machine just to be sure. More often than not it's the flash drive that isn't setup to be bootable though. Some people just copy the files from the ISO over to the flash drive, but that doesn't make it bootable. Good luck!

kenjancef

Dec 2, 2014
Visit site
Might have to call MS... I have a Surface Pro 3 that I did the Windows 10 upgrade, activated, then did the clean install. Had activation issues a month ago, and then all was fine, now since yesterday I am getting activation issues again.

I thought that when Windows was activated, the process ended, the activation "sticks". Apparently not, at least not for this SP3. It's making me tear my hair out. Why do I keep getting activation issues??? I've tried the slmgr.vbs /ato thing, but doesn't seem to work. Haven't tried to "downgrade" to 8.1 yet, but maybe I will. I might get on the MS chat to see if they can help. The error is the "blocked key" error that everyone seems to be getting. I hope this gets sorted out SOON!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lolz1234