Windows 10 Activation/Upgrade/Clean Install FAQ

Status
Not open for further replies.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
^ At least in theory, changing hardware should be the only reason for having to reactivate. If your happy with W10, definitely call MS before downgrading.

kenjancef

Dec 2, 2014
Visit site
You would think...

Ok, get this... I posted my last post from my SP3 that said wasn't activated... I even had the "please activate" message in the lower right corner of my desktop.

So I turn it on this morning, and guess what? The activation message was gone! Yep, just like that... I did get one alert to have me verify my MS account, so I did that, and then checked activation status, and yep, it says it was activated... UGH!!!!!!

What is going on here??????

kenjancef

Dec 2, 2014
Visit site
^ No idea. Sounds like a bug to me.

It actually is...

I was on a support chat with Microsoft for about an hour, they confirmed that it is some kind of weird bug, having to do with the method of upgrading to Windows 10. She said it may have happened because i didn't do the initial Windows 10 upgrade from Windows Update. I actually used the command line that triggered the upgrade.

In any event, she said it was an issue known to Microsoft, and they are working on it (of course they are...) and when it is resolved it will appear in a Windows Update.

So I guess I have to live with it until then...

Tim Stone

Jul 29, 2014
Visit site
Bringing this thread into September, there is still a "failure" in the system. I had a computer that required a clean install to take it out of the Insider Program ( it was being passed to another user ). It was FULLY RUNNING AN ACTIVATED COPY OF WINDOWS 10 Professional. However, when doing the install, it now fails to Activate, saying the code ( which is in the system ) was blocked.

Sadly, hours with Microsoft Answer Desk support, on chat, telephone, and emails does nothing to get this resolved. Everyone is too busy to address this well known, and admitted, problem.

MBY

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
Unfortunately even booting from the flash drive to run setup ended up with a non-activated W10 on the new drive. I'm getting error code 0xC004C003: the activation server determined the specified product key has been blocked. I will take this up with Windows support and see what they say.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
^ Sounds like you and Kenjancef have the same issue. Have your original W7 or W8 key on hand, explain that you did an in-place upgrade which activated successfully but failed after a clean-install, and then immediately ask for a replacement W10 key right off the bat so they know where you expect the conversation to end. It might be best to also offer them remote access to your newly setup PC as early in the conversation as possible, so they can look through it themselves. That will also save you a lot of time. Good luck!

MBY

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
OK, I got W10 activated with a new key with the help of MS support, though it was not easy. Having my W7 product key helped. But they also want to know about your computer purchase - an invoice or a certificate of authenticity. My system is home-assembled so these things don't exist. It took a while to muddle through that.

Thank you for your help and suggestions!

orlbuckeye

Mar 19, 2015
Visit site
I read from MS that during the upgrade Windows 10 get reactivated and it doesn't use a KEY per say but using a unique hash number that is based on you hardware and stores it on the MS servers. I read this was done so you didn't have to enter a key to do a clean install. Windows 10 will automatically activate if this has number matches the hardware on that specific machine.

KASCII

Nov 25, 2015
Visit site
I have two computers that updated without a hitch from 7 Pro to 10 Pro and I clean installed one of them so far. Anyway, a week ago I upgraded the CPU and motherboard on my main PC. I read about possible limitations of activation following certain hardware upgrades. I proceeded anyway fully expecting to call microsoft for a reactivation. After I swapped the CPU and Motherboard, and the system did the necessary updates, and the OS idicated that it was activated through digital licensing.

I wish that was the end of story but I'd since been experiencing random errors. I believe I resolved my Memory_Management errors by swapping them around into different DIMM order. However, I am still having Shell_Experience_Host problems. I did a SFC /Scannow and it did find some file corruption. I still have to try repairing those files yet.

But I have two questions and neither are actually about the technical trouble of my Shell_Experience_Host errors nor the corrupt files... they are about doing a clean installation (which I'm hoping will clear up the errors)

My first question is, does anyone foresee any problems I might have doing a clean install since my system said it was activated? I think not, but just in case I though I'd ask.

Secondly, is the clean install process different now with the 1511 update out? I downloaded what I though was the 1511 ISO from microsoft but the file turned out to be only 1.7 Gb, I don't think this is right. But, will I have to use the original 10240 build to do a clean install and then go through all the updates right up to 1511 (10586.11)? Thanks.

Rajeev Ranjan7

Dec 2, 2015
Visit site
Could anyone tell me if a trial version of Windows 10 valid for 90 days be upgraded to full fledged Windows 10 with a Windows 7 key ? Now that Microsoft is allowing clean Window install with Windows 7 or 8.1 key , I thought this was a logical corollary.

Hope some experts here help to a newbie and direct me to an appropriate thread if this is not the right one :))

lsquare

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
So if I upgrade to Windows 10 using my Windows 7 serial number, is that key locked to my custom built PC for life? Is this confirmed to be the case? So if change the CPU and mobo to the new Intel Skylake platform in the future, will I have to buy a new Windows 10 license? It makes no sense to me that should be the case because I bought my Windows 7 software from a retail store rather than buying a computer with Windows 7 pre-installed.

nvelez2015

Dec 30, 2015
Visit site
I performed an upgrade from Windows 7 Pro when Windows 10 first launched. I've been using it ever since but this past week I upgraded my computer with a new CPU and MB. I performed a clean install of Windows 10 Pro and logged in with my Windows account. It will not allow me to activate my OS and doesn't give me any other options besides entering a new key.

Has anyone found a resolution or will MS tech support actually help me? I read that you can do a clean install after you'd preformed the upgrade and activated Windows 10. I've been running it for 4 or 5 months now so I assumed it was fine. Any help would be appreciated.

tpapictures

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
I want to install Windows 10 on my Dell Venue 8 Pro running 8.1.
Some things I need help with...
1. Using the media creation tool (that I keep reading is the best way), if System tells me I have simply "Windows 8.1" then which do I install..
- Windows 10
- Windows 10 Home Single Language
- Windows 10 N
The chart on MS's site says to install "Windows 10 Home" but that 's not one of the three options and I don't want to get stuck with a single language installation. I need several languages installed on the system.

2. Is it true that I need to have installed Win10 at some point for MS's servers to recognise my product id? So does that mean I should actually allow the tablet to upgrade using the "Get Windows 10" upgrade tool and then once it's upgraded, then reinstall via the media creation tool again?

Thank you!!

hd256

Jul 27, 2015
Visit site
I got an Asus TransformerBook tp300ld and since I've installed Windows 10 the fliplock feature isn't working. I've tried everything on the internet :c Any suggestions??

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I'm closing this thread because

a) It was not intended to be a place to discuss general installation issues. It was intended to focus only on common activation issues.
b) It's somewhat outdated, since MS has improved or fixed many of the things that caused activation issues when W10 was first released.

I'd encourage the last few members who posted here to start their own threads. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720