How does the Phone Companion work in W10 with Windows Phone 8.1?

Games Goblin

May 26, 2013
Visit site
Hey all

So Windows 10 installed without a hitch on my laptop (I left it to install before going out to do some errands and it was installed by the time I got back :excited:)

So I've been messing around with it and came across the 'Phone Companion' app and selected Windows Phone :wink:

It says that I'm ready to go, no set-up needed, but it also says to make sure to sign in with the same Microsoft account on both phone and laptop - I am running the same account on my phone and laptop and I can see both my phone and laptop listed under my account at account.microsoft.com

But I still cant see notifications of my phone on my desktop? What am I doing wrong here?

d9dga

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
It doesn't seem to necessarily do anything does it. I was expecting at least similar functionality as the W8 app, but it seems to just be an advert for syncing the phone without plugging a USB cable in

noersetiawan

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
Nothing. That app is useless. It's purpose is just to advertise that Microsoft apps are available on all mobile platforms. And probably make some people aware that "Windows Phone" is a thing.

joanzen

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site
So does this mean we have no app comparable to the one in 8.1 (or, prior to that, Zune) that will sync our WP to the computer?

Shiroi

Aug 28, 2012
Visit site
Does this app connect the phone to the internet the way the Zune desktop program did for WP7 when the phone is plugged in via USB?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs