What happens after 2 years?

HydroOxygen

Jul 29, 2015
Visit site
So I decided to upgrade to Windows 10.
After 2 years my PC dies or I decide to get a new one. How will I install the Windows 10? Is there a way to backup the Windows 10 files to a disc (only windows files) so I would have my Windows 10 copy ready for fresh install?
Or in that case I will need to live with my Windows 8.1?

Link Kadeshi

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
This free upgrade is for your current system, until it's EoL (End of Life). So if after two years you drop it in the trash (You monster!), then you'll need to buy Windows 10 on your new PC.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Umm. You'll still have your Windows 10 license that was given to you when you upgraded from Windows 8.

The key is stored against your Microsoft Account so you won't lose it. It's possible to download ISO images of Windows 10, so you can use that to install from at a later date (no need to back up the system files yourself, and that won't work anyway).

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
I thing some 'advisers' here don't understand the difference between an OEM version of Windows and a full retail version.

OEM versions are locked to the PC they came with. Retail boxed editions are not, and can be reinstalled on your new build. Updates will follow your root licence, so if you update an OEM edition you'll only get W10 for the life of the PC but retail copies will continue to be transferrable. Just download the ISO and install from that.

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I thing some 'advisers' here don't understand the difference between an OEM version of Windows and a full retail version.

OEM versions are locked to the PC they came with. Retail boxed editions are not, and can be reinstalled on your new build. Updates will follow your root licence, so if you update an OEM edition you'll only get W10 for the life of the PC but retail copies will continue to be transferrable. Just download the ISO and install from that.

^ this.

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Odds are you can do a call in activation. Now with it being tied to a MSA it might not even need that. If they detect the key is being used an unusual amount of times they may block. It's often been automated too so you might not even need to explain it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05