Is it safe to manually delete the $Windows.~WS directory

cygnus11

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
While upgrading to Windows 10, a directory named $Windows.~WS was created on my C drive. I also had the $Windows.~BT directory, which appeared while downloading the Windows 10 files.

I completed the upgrade successfully and eventually did a disk cleanup which removed the ~BT directory. But it left the ~WS directory. I was wondering if it is OK to just manually remove this. It is pretty big - about 4 GB. I moved it to the recycle bin without any problem, but I wanted to verify it was safe to delete before I emptied the bin.

Thanks.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I'd run disk cleanup first, but if nothing is broken from it being in the recycle bin I suppose you can empty it.

adrian1338

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
I think the media creation tool created that for me. really you should be able to delete it as well as the ~BT one and windows.old if you are brave enough to not use the Return to Windows 7 function in the control panel

cygnus11

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
I deleted it completely and so far no issues. I'm pretty sure it is safe to delete manually if disk cleanup does not remove it.

JithinPrasad

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
I'd run disk cleanup first, but if nothing is broken from it being in the recycle bin I suppose you can empty it.

Upgraded to Windows 10 via WU. Nw,
can we make a bootable iso from "install.esd" in the Windows BT Folder to do a clean installation.
Install.esd was the same file downloaded via WU abt 2.7gb
or we want to download the ISO..?

RearEchelon

Oct 31, 2008
Visit site
I tried to manually install 10 using the Media Creation tool, but ended up not being able to install the driver for my video cards. So I reverted to 7 and everything seems to be working, but this folder is eating almost 6GB of my SSD. Can I delete it?

Rising Mos

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
I tried to manually install 10 using the Media Creation tool, but ended up not being able to install the driver for my video cards. So I reverted to 7 and everything seems to be working, but this folder is eating almost 6GB of my SSD. Can I delete it?

What is the video card? You don't want to install the driver that comes with the video card. That is an old one that won't work with windows 10.

Windows 10 will install a good driver automatically. If you want the absolute latest, check NVidia or amd website (depending on your graphic card).

ReprobusR

Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
Disk Clean up doesn't always work, my Windows~BT directory is almost 10 gigs and disk clean up did not remove it.

Best make sure all is running well, restart the computer, then delete the directory !

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon