08-03-2015 10:25 AM
81 ... 234
tools
    Okay so after I clean installed Windows 10 from ISO files, it could not get activated using Windows 8.1 key which I had got using Magical Jelly Bean KeyFinder program. So I downloaded Windows 8.1 ISO files from Microsoft and installed it and the activation worked. I then downloaded Windows 10 ISO files again and installed it while in Windows 8.1 (no clean install this time), and once installed the KeyFinder program showed a different but working key this time, which I used to clean install Windows 10 and activate it finally.
    It was not your extracted key that activated your W10 installation, but the fact that you did an in-place upgrade. The time you spent extracting and looking for keys was a completely unnecessary waste of time.

The first post in this thread explains why:

http://forums.windowscentral.com/win...ation-faq.html
    08-01-2015 04:52 PM
    Hello.

Does anyone know if Windows 10 still writes System Reserved Boot files to a secondary drive, should one be connected? I got bitten by this with Windows 8 when a drive died, and I'd like to avoid it if I decide to install W10.

If it does, I'll be sure to unplug my drives before installing.

Thanks.
    08-01-2015 07:22 PM
    I did a clean install on my SP3, but I upgraded to Windows 10 first. I then did the clean install from a USB key I created using the Microsoft tool. I did the option to "Keep Nothing", and it wiped out the system and installed a fresh Windows 10. Activation was successful as well.

My question is: I have 2 Windows 7 systems at home. I'd like to do the same to those, upgrade to Windows 10 then do the clean install... but if a serial number is attached to your Microsoft account, how does it handle more than one installation of Windows 10? Right now, it must see my SP3, but what if I do the same to one of my Windows 7 machines? Does it know to keep a separate key based on computer name? How does that work?

Inquiring minds wanna know...
    So you first did the upgrade to Windows 10, then you downloaded the ISO file Windows 10 and booted to it? Did you reformat the hard drive too?
    08-02-2015 01:30 AM
    So you first did the upgrade to Windows 10, then you downloaded the ISO file Windows 10 and booted to it? Did you reformat the hard drive too?
    During the install it asks why you want to keep, and one choice is "Keep Nothing". That is the "clean install" choice, so I assume it formats the hard drive, but it does leave the Windows.old folder, just in case I guess. I did the Disk Cleanup after testing it out, and it got rid of that folder.

Still running great...
    08-02-2015 08:34 PM
    The best thing to do is upgrade through the GWX then use update and recovery to delete everything and reinstall windows. After upgrading I had a couple of issues and I wanted a clean install anyway and it worked fine for me.
    08-02-2015 09:35 PM
    I want to do a clean install, but I don't know which version to download o to a USB. I currently have the Pro version so do I download N or KN or what?
    It may be too late, but you probably don't want the N or KN versions. Those were the versions in Europe and Korea where the media player (and some the other options, I think) weren't pre-installed and you got to choose. Part of Microsoft's settlement with the EU.
    a5cent likes this.
    08-03-2015 10:25 AM
81 ... 234