Why isn't Windows 10 activating?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

Windows 10 not activating

I had Windows 8 on my laptop but when I changed out hard drives it blocked my key so I decided to just get the Windows 10 Preview, this was a few months ago, everything was working fine until I decided to reinstall Windows yesterday. I used the reset option in settings where it deletes my files and reinstalls Windows, something happened however during the installation and my PC just started an endless boot cycle into a BSOD error saying Inaccessible_Boot_Device. So, I reinstalled Windows 10 but it is pulling my old blocked Windows 8 key from my laptop instead of the full version of Windows 10 that I should and did have from the Preview program.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: Windows 10 not activating

You are going to need your old key and a call to Customer Care.

microsoft customer care - Bing

Really there isn't much users at this forum can provide you with, no magic fix. As of this date Microsoft is going to be looking for valid keys to convert to 10. Your install attempts may be reading a key out of BIOS or UEFI. The point of attack should have been customer care when you swapped your hard drive out.

If you need to add additional information or want to post additional questions, please join the site so you can see the reply button and continue the conversation in the same thread you originally made.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: Windows 10 not activating

Yep... Sorry about that. I really would have done the call in thing when I replaced my HDD. You sort of abandoned your license by not reclaiming it.

Good Luck.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lolz1234